When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Just ordered my first IWC Rep

strinos

I'm a long time reader, 1st time poster and I finally pulled the trigger and ordered my first IWC Rep from Mary at Watches-International. I've been eyeing IWC for a long time and finally decided that a spitfire was the way to go. Can't wait till it gets here. Granted I am waiting to hear back from Mary regarding payment and shipping. Hopefully that'll go qquickly. I'll post pictures as soon as I get it.

I'm a long time reader, 1st time poster and I finally pulled the trigger and ordered my first IWC Rep from Mary at Watches-International. I've been eyeing IWC for a long time and finally decided that a spitfire was the way to go. Can't wait till it gets here. Granted I am waiting to hear back from Mary regarding payment and shipping. Hopefully that'll go qquickly. I'll post pictures as soon as I get it.

So, since I purchased the Asian 7750 movement, I have read that it's probably a good idea to have it serviced. Any recommendations?

Which one did you get?

With servicing...it all depends. Wear it for awhile...6 months at least. If it grows on you, and seems something you will want to wear and wear again for years...consider servicing. Servicing may cost between $100 and $200 depending on where you are located in the world and the level of servicing you get. A replacement watch may cost used $100 - $300 depending on which watch. A replacement movement may cost $100 - $150 + the labour to swap the movement.

So...you can take your chances and just wear it...some people have years of luck with this without service. If you are afraid you won't be able to replace it in a couple years if it dies because the factories no longer may make it...consider servicing because replacement isn't an option.

Replacement movements can be cheaper than a servicing if you learn to do the labour yourself (fun if the watch has died and a good way to learn to work on things)...but expensive if you have to pay for labour...and more difficult if you have to worry about datewheels too.

Some things to consider.

Which one did you get?

With servicing...it all depends. Wear it for awhile...6 months at least. If it grows on you, and seems something you will want to wear and wear again for years...consider servicing. Servicing may cost between $100 and $200 depending on where you are located in the world and the level of servicing you get. A replacement watch may cost used $100 - $300 depending on which watch. A replacement movement may cost $100 - $150 + the labour to swap the movement.

So...you can take your chances and just wear it...some people have years of luck with this without service. If you are afraid you won't be able to replace it in a couple years if it dies because the factories no longer may make it...consider servicing because replacement isn't an option.

Replacement movements can be cheaper than a servicing if you learn to do the labour yourself (fun if the watch has died and a good way to learn to work on things)...but expensive if you have to pay for labour...and more difficult if you have to worry about datewheels too.

Some things to consider.

Great answer!

You can definitely find what you want in RWG.

Looking forward to your IWC watch. Would you have a post to share with us here when you get it?

Edited by Watcheden

Which one did you get?

Some things to consider.

Thanks a lot for the feedback Toadtorrent. That makes a lot of sense.

Here's the one I ordered. http://www.watch-international.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1254

I looked through a bunch of the dealer sites listed on the forum and the pic here looks most like the one on the IWC website. Also, it seems that Mary is pretty reputable and sells quality pieces. So far, her communication has been quick. I hope it all works out nicely.

• 2 weeks later...

Beeing a n00b myself, what is Mary's website? I hear it talked about quite a bit :)

Don't order from the Watch International web site. It's for "normal people" .. RWG members email Mary directly with requests and possibly get a better price than on the web site. Also remember that Watch International is not a factory. It's a custom shopping service. You tell them what you want and they go out into the watch bazaars and pick the best example they can find for you.

They can get things that are not on the site. Use it for reference only.

• 4 weeks later...