When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

The Wedding Gift...

johndoe1

First let me introduce my situation. I am about to get married. While my watch habit is serious, it has not overcome my sense of practicality and therefore not entered the realm of >$1000 pieces. My search begins for my first nice gen...

My question is about the "wedding day gift." My future wife understands the extent of my watch obsession and as such has agreed that a watch is appropriate for occasion. I want the watch to be a high quality go anywhere do anything type piece with the potential for a lifetime of enjoyment. I am posting this in the Omega section because I think the Seamaster Professional "Bond" watch in black (212.30.41.20.01.002) is the right choice. I also really like the Planet Ocean but I think it may be far from our price range. The question is, can a Seamaster Pro be found for around $1200 realistically? What kind of condition should I expect at that price? How would you go about purchasing a used watch with minimal risk from the various sources (Bay, sales forums...)? How do I keep from getting scammed without getting robbed by an AD?

Any advice you can provide regarding this watch and used purchases would be greatly appreciated. The wedding is several months away so I have time to patiently hunt the sources for a deal. I just dont want my first "quality" watch to be a bad deal (dont want to get a rep if I dont know about it, broken, my imagination goes wild with worries). Its a significant purchase and I want it to be a great experience. Please provide your wisdom....Thanks in advance.

(I recognize there is a search function so please dont flame me, I am looking for info specific to the seamaster and the latest advice. Please PM me if you have a need to destroy the new guy. I would really like to tap into the wealth of knowledge here. Thanks again)

JD

Gen "old" Aqua Terras (without new 8500 movement) can be found for <1000€ easily, but these are quite dressy. If you buy from ebay, pay via paypal and let an AD have a look once your watch arrives. If it isn't genuine you can have PayPal refund your money.

Speedmasters can also be found quite cheap, POs are the most sought after Omegas both in the rep and gen world, I think 1,5-2k is your best chance on one of these. A good idea are always gen forums, when you buy from a respectable member there you should also be good. Prices are top notch normally.

Wow tough question , personally those Seamaster Pro do my head in. Seriously the world and his dog has them, its like a rite of passage for significant events that a guy needs one. I just dont see the appeal or significance. The other omega's mentioned sound much better options , but these days a new omega for $1000 is unlikely, could a preowned Speedmaster be an option? here or perhaps this or even Schumacher, something bugs me about GENS I just dont get it if there is a pretty good rep made why part with the extra $$$ for the gen. Choosing a gen that hasn't been well rep'd seems far more sensible. What about an ORIS or a Fortis the have some great watches. Anyway congratulations on your pending nuptials Health and happiness to you and soon to be wife.