When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Help Please Updated

lionsandtigers

lionsandtigers

The Zigmeister's advise about a drift will probably work, but if it is lodged to tightly, about the only other way I could think of to get it out is with a diamond tipped burr on a dremel, but don't try that by hand alone, you'll need some type of vice that won't marr your case and a drillpress accesory for the dremel.

If you don't have the necessary equipment already, it may be cheaper to just take it by a machine shop and have them remove it for you.

so for the time being, since i have an empty 1680 case (movement is off being serviced) i think i'm gonna put the white 1680 movement in there, so i can get the bit tip out without worry of damaging the movement.

SO, i have a annoying question, which has been answered a million times before but I am very very gunshy, when pressing the crown release, what size screwdriver should i use, and should i press on an angle, straight, how? Cause the past 2 times i released the crown, the keyless works jammed up, so now 2 movements are on their way to The Zigmeister.

Also, what is the best position for the crown to be in, date set, time set?

thanks guys, always very helpful :)

Ah! Having messed up one myself, I also learned the hard way.

I was told to pull the stem all the way out (change time position) and then, with a 1.2mm screwdriver, press lightly as one pulls the stem out.

I wish I had asked before I mangled my 063. I am making The Zigmeister rich! :)

Regards,

so for the time being, since i have an empty 1680 case (movement is off being serviced) i think i'm gonna put the white 1680 movement in there, so i can get the bit tip out without worry of damaging the movement.

SO, i have a annoying question, which has been answered a million times before but I am very very gunshy, when pressing the crown release, what size screwdriver should i use, and should i press on an angle, straight, how? Cause the past 2 times i released the crown, the keyless works jammed up, so now 2 movements are on their way to The Zigmeister.

Also, what is the best position for the crown to be in, date set, time set?

thanks guys, always very helpful :)

My view,

Use a 1.2 mm Black handle screwdriver. Crown in the Winding position, press on the release, and make sure the screwdriver bottoms out on the slot, press straight on the pin, when you can't feel anymore movement on the pin, gently pull the crown out...reinstalling gently insert the crown and stem, as you get close to the seating point where it locks in place as you push in, gently turn the crown CCW as your pushing...should slide in easily...no reason to touch the release pin on this model during installation.

You should be able to knock the broken drill bit out of the case from the inner edge...I just broke 7 bits off in my own, (gold cobalt ones at that) and each time they came out no problem...gentle tap from the inside with a small punch I filled down to 1mm...you'll never get a 1.2mm drill in the pictured drill press...

RG

thanks The Zigmeister, but when i was checking the fit on the 1.2 mm screwdriver this morning on the release button , it seemed too big for the hole. it went into it, but does not seem to have the ability to really press much, am i doing something wrong?

as for the bit, it is litterally the tip, lodge on the inner side of the lug, and it seemed LODGED in there, but i guess i can dry the hole punch thingy, maybe it will work, or else you'll be getting a case shortly after the movements arrive :) :) :)

While I have never done it, I imagine the 1.2mm screwdriver is not meant to be pressed far before it bottoms out.

If it is too large for the slot, perhaps measure it with some calipers or purchase a more expensive screwdriver set?

I'm guessing a pair of channel-locks or pliers are not string enough to remove the bit when rotated in a CCW direction? Keep in mind the goal is not to pull the bit necessarily but also to try unscrewing it.

Just trying to help :(

well, the good news is, with The Zigmeisters guidance, i was able to remove the stem from this watch without the keyless works going nuts, and i put the movement in another 1680 case, that i already drilled the lugs on, so my white sub is up and running.

bad news is, this tiny little evil piece of drill bit is stuck, and i mean stuck. so, either i get another case, or, one of you genius's cant take a crack at it for me.

any takers?