When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

a7750 winds when screwing/unscrewing crown?

hackR

Hi Guys...

I have an a7750 6-9-12 with day/date that runs flawlessly...keeps great time...setting the day/date and time works fine, too...

However, I've noticed that when i screw down or unscrew the crown, that the watch "winds"...you can here the winding sound...i have to assume the rotor winds, too, but i haven't opened the caseback to check that...

as i said, all other attributes work fine...just this winding is unusual to me compared to my other 7750 reps...

any idea?...what's the problem and what's the fix?...

thanks...R

One watch of mine has the same problem. I suspect the stem got cut short when the watch was made, so when the crown is pushed in, the winding still doesn't quite get disengaged. Because of this, I bought a set of three 7750 stems. I haven't played around with them yet though. If you need one, just let me know. I guess one way to verify my hypothesis is to take the movement out of the case and then push in the existing stem and see if the crown winds the watch or not. Without taking the movement out of the case, you can also try to push in the crown and rotate it counter clock wise rotation for couple of turns and see if that disengage the winding before turning clock wise to screw down the crown.

Without taking the movement out of the case, you can also try to push in the crown and rotate it counter clock wise rotation for couple of turns and see if that disengage the winding before turning clock wise to screw down the crown.

hey Wei!...thanks...i tried what you said above and to no avail...the crown pushes in ever so slightly and it rotates fine counterclockwise...but once i screw it down, it "winds"...

would like to know if a short stem is the issue?...and/or if i can cause any problems with it in this state?...

Hey Cougaree...handwinding an A7750 is bad...not as big a deal on a gen 7750 as things are better lubricated and they metal is higher quality.

The Zigmeister's Explanation of Why Handwinding is Bad

Francisco's Fix for a Sticky Reversing Wheel

All questions are answered in links in my Noob Guide. :thumbsupsmileyanim::)

I have a rep that has this...arrived like this...didn't worry about it too much as the power reserve was fine. I can't remember if an ETA reversing wheel is compatible...there was a post discussing ETA compatible parts with the a7750 between Francisco and Zig...and I can't find it. :(

EDIT: WHOOPS...I just read what this post was about...it was early morning when I replied...didn't read things...my bad!! Sorry for the confusion...I knew you would know this answer...but I'll leave my reply here anyway in case it helps somebody.

hey Wei!...thanks...i tried what you said above and to no avail...the crown pushes in ever so slightly and it rotates fine counterclockwise...but once i screw it down, it "winds"...

would like to know if a short stem is the issue?...and/or if i can cause any problems with it in this state?...

The simple answer is that the crown isn't disengaging from the stem as it should.

It could be a stem slightly too short, but you have to be careful you don't make it too long as you risk damaging the crown/tube from the extra tension when screwing it down.

It could also be that the crown sprung clutch is poorly made and not disengaging from the stem.

Given that you don't have any other issues, and that you only turn the crown a couple of turns when you screw it down, if it was me, I wouldn't worry about it, as long as it's done slowly, your not going to damage anything...

I can't remember if an ETA reversing wheel is compatible...there was a post discussing ETA compatible parts with the a7750 between Francisco and Zig...and I can't find it. :(

ETA reversing wheel will not fit as the pinions are larger, francisco did mod one but it is not for your average person to do.

I am working on a list of compatable parts that can be swapped for A7750 and swiss 7750

My Raymond Weil Nabucco has this very same problem. I have had the watch for about a year and a half with no issues. I do exactly as Zig says,"turn/wind It slowly" Again I have done this many times over the last year and a half with no issues,the watch also keeps very good time :thumbsupsmileyanim: