When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Who makes the best DSSD, SS Sub, SS Sub LV Reps off the shelf?

dannyboy123

Can someone point me in the right direction for quality Rolex reps. I've bought Panerai reps from DSN and talked to Josh. Who's good on Rolex reps?

Can someone explain the difference of the various movements I'm likely to encounter and the various pitfalls. For example I see Josh offers the option of swiss eta something or other over an asian mvt - whats the difference?

A few pointers'd be appreciated, perhaps with a few snaps.

I'm half tempted to pull the trigger on a PC DSSD and Project X Sub LV on nato.

On a different note my 12 yr old gen sub is in for a quote for it's first ever service - dreading to hear the cost - been told it'll be a minimum NZ$1,000 and probably more as it's never been touched. Eek.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Hi. Welcome to the Forum .. I typed this in August for another new member:

An asian 21j (either high or low beat) is theoretically a solid workhorse movement, but in reality it is subject to non-existent quality control. Yours will either serve you well for years or need replacing within a few months .. randomly. A base A21j (2813 or 4813) supports hours, minutes, seconds, and the date and will cost somewhere around 20 or 30 USD retail in single quantities. The main stumbling block here is QC. It simply doesn't exist. You get what you get and maybe it's broken .. maybe it's not.

An ETA 7750 is (first of all) a chronometer movement. In addition to it's watch function, it's a precision stopwatch, with multiple hands and sub-dials. It has 200 (or more?) precision finished parts, all whirring around inside of it. These movements are polished, decorated, calibrated in multiple positions, etc etc .. a part meant to be as perfect as possible out of the box. You are paying for it's complexity, the labor involved in assuring it's correct and of course the salaries of the workers who do all this .. probably 100x what a chinese worker makes.

By coincidence, you chose two movements which are completely at the opposite ends of the watch spectrum .. the humble chinese workhorse and the rarefied swiss super-stopwatch.

If we consider two movements more alike, like an ETA 2824 and a Chinese exact copy 2824, the retail cost difference is about 60 USD. The chinese clone ETA movement has less fine finish on the gears, no QC (again) and casual assembly practices.

In addition, the Noobmariner submariner replica is the best inexpensive model, and the BK Submariner is the best expensive model.

There are 2 major DSSD models. The 2010 v5 and the Cartel (Josh/Andrew) Noobfactory DSSD ... both have only minor issues and either is a fine choice.

Hi. Welcome to the Forum .. I typed this in August for another new member:

In addition, the Noobmariner submariner replica is the best inexpensive model, and the BK Submariner is the best expensive model.

There are 2 major DSSD models. The 2010 v5 and the Cartel (Josh/Andrew) Noobfactory DSSD ... both have only minor issues and either is a fine choice.

So if you look at Josh/PC's DSSD you have the option of a swiss eta 2836-2 or an asian 3135, what's the diff - I assume the swiss is better, so why no additionl cost??

http://www.1-pc8838.com/000rlsd00088-deep-dweller-asia-3135-p-8985.html

Dannyboy,

Make use of the search function my man.Although the DSSD has cooled off a little, there were pages and pages of reviews, comparisons, modding info, etc. back earlier this year. You will also find the same sort of stuff about the movements.Personally, I would recommend the Swiss ETA, only because of the quality control with Swiss ETA movements. having said that, I still have the movement in every one of my watches that I intend to keep long term, serviced. Clean lubricate and regulate and you should have a reliable timepiece for years.

Another thing that I would warn you and, any one new to this game, just because your new watch looks like the genuine, IT ISN'T! quality control with most of the factories is non-existent, parts are put on incorrectly, Water resistant, generally a joke; shortcuts, everywhere they can take one; fit and finish, inconsistent at best. If you can accept all of this,and are patient and able to endure sending your money off to some person in China who you have never heard of and wil never meet, willing to put up with lack of communication at times and customs risks every time you order a watch from outside your country, then this is a fascinating game.However, if you can't answer yes to all the above, my advice to you, buy genuine watches at the price point that you can afford and save yourself the anxiety and frustration that comes with replica watches.

Welcome aboard and good luck on your quest for knowledge

So if you look at Josh/PC's DSSD you have the option of a swiss eta 2836-2 or an asian 3135, what's the diff - I assume the swiss is better, so why no additionl cost??

http://www.1-pc8838....135-p-8985.html

IMHO the Asian 3135 is rthe biggest rip off in replica watches. It is designed to superficially resemble a Rolex 3135 movement which is a very high quality in house movement manufactured by Rolex. As i said, it has a superficial resemblence, but anyone with any experienceat all with Rolex movements can tell at a glance that the Asian "clone" is not a 3135. Don't fall for that one, buy the Swiss ETA, if you like the watch, have the movement serviced, and while you have it at one of our really good watchmakers invest in a proper lume job . Thus far, and there are many reps that I have never seen or really knowabout, I have only seen one rep that has lume ,out the box, like a genuine, that's the WM9/BK 16610 Submariners. Mine has as good a lume as a genuine, andI have had both side by side equally charged to compare. My DSSD glowed great for 30-45 minutes, and then rapidly faded to black. I had it relumed and it is now comperable to the genuine.

Asian 3135 look-alike has troublesome extra parts which come loose and jam the movement. Go Swiss ETA or Asian clone ETA.

I've recently bought a DSN PAM02a which I'm exceptionally pleased with so have a handle on the process.

I think I'll probably pull the trigger on a noob DSSD from BK with ETA2836-2/SW200 (basically the same mvt?).

I want to get the best I can as I have a gen sub so will be a little pickier than I was with the PAM. Can/does BK improve watertightness so the watch can be used in a pool/bath/shower without worry (I don't want to dive).

Many thanks for advice so far guys.

DannyBoy.

Welcome to the forum!

You cant lose with BK. WM9 is good if you can find a used one. As everyone said, stay away from the Rolex look alike movement because they are junk, and get ETA if you can.. but be carefull, even if you pay for a gen ETA, you might get an ETA copy. So do lots of reading and lots of searching before you buy.

dizz

BK is a full-blown watch modder, and is capable of lots of things .. email him and ask him your questions, if you've narrowed it down to one of his products.

So it's fair to say that the noob's modded by BK would be a superior product to Josh/PC's offering(s) - if yes - generally speaking, why?

I have actually pm'd BK, but clearly I can't ask questions like this of him. Aside from those two (bearing in mind I gather WM9 not avail) anything else I should consider?

I have to say I had no idea outside of crappy thai night markets that such a sophisticated rep market even existed, I'm also flabbergatsed at the quality of some of these reps, my DSN PAM 02a being a good example, more so when they've been modded.

Josh and BK (and most other dealers) source their watches from the same pool of factories.

Josh is a store owner. BK is a watchsmith/modder. Josh sells a factory-issued watch. BK sells a watch which has been inspected and modified for accuracy and/or durability.

Think of it like this .. Josh might sell you a Mercedes, but BK sells you an AMG Mercedes. It's modded.

Josh and BK (and most other dealers) source their watches from the same pool of factories.

Josh is a store owner. BK is a watchsmith/modder. Josh sells a factory-issued watch. BK sells a watch which has been inspected and modified for accuracy and/or durability.

Think of it like this .. Josh might sell you a Mercedes, but BK sells you an AMG Mercedes. It's modded.

Ah, i thought that was the case! Hopefully I'll hear from BK soon.

Hi, i realise this may be unpopular here given the polularity of Trevor's (very nice btw) DSSD, but i have now owned every iteration since the cartel's v3 and the V5. I posted this somewhere else yesterday and thought it migh help here:

I think the cartel with BK's upgrade is the way to go.

There are a few more problems with the Trevor than people usually acknowledge. The lugs, the SEL's being lower to the lugs (in profile height - they should be proud of the lugs), and while the thin edges on the dial marker are pretty, the cartel's are actually closer to the gen. Then there's the bracelet quality (thinner than cartel), it also uses non RLX style spring bars and of course the flat top triangle.

Sure, the cartel has faults too, probably just as many, but comparing them side by side and with the gen, it's my humble opinion that the current Cartel iteration's faults are far less obvious at a glance than the current V5.

Also of note is that the V5 is noticeably lighter in hand, but i think this is due to the bracelet alone (which cannot be replaced with the cartel's version)

Also the Cartel's OGEV is never out of allignment (the contruction uses an allignment notch that is missing on the v5) and it's also possible to lower the height of the insert by simply removing it, and re-attaching using glue.

No offense meant to anyone who prefers the V5, this is just my opinion based on owning them all and time spent with the gen.

• 8 months later...

Hi, I'm a first timer and trying to locate BK. Anyone have a url for his site or a full dealer name please? thanks