When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Just Bought First Panerai- Problems already

timbo

Hi All,

Despite having joined up a while ago and lurking for a bit, im new and pretty clueless so if i ask stupid questions then please forgive me.

Ive just bought my first panerai. A cheap automatic that i have fallen in love with. I own other reps which i really like, but now i get this whole panerai "thing".

Problem is that im already having problems with it. It arrived yesterday and as soon as i tried to manually wind it i knew things werent right. Every turn of the crown sounds like gear is stripping gear. Its painful to listen to, like someone scratching their nails down a blackboard. On top of this the rotor is VERY noisy. Everytime i move my wrist it sounds like a jet engine is starting up. But a horrible rasping jet engine that someone had just emptied a sack of nails into.

Im guessing it has the cheap Asian 21j movement in it and i know that it shouldnt be this bad. Does anyone know what the problem may be and what i can do about it? Is it possible to fit a better quality movment for future reliability even?

Im based in the UK (london) and went out trying to find a watchmaker that would work on this type of watch. None were interested, so if anyone can recommend someone that will do this sort of work in the UK i would be appreciative.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Probably the best thing to do is open it up and see what's grating. You should be able to unscrew the case back with your fingers and some pressure - maybe with some sticky tape to grip it.

I'm also in London by the way. I don't know anybody who'll fix such a beast.

Charlie

Edited by char1ie

As a rule of thumb, it is best to AVOID winding automatic watches -- particularly ones with Asian movements. The gears tend to be made of cheap metal, and strip easily. This could be the case with yours. Autos have a rotor, and a gentle shake is usually all it takes to get the watch underway.

Good luck.

Hello mate..

Lurking around for a bit !!! mate its 4 years ;):p

You have a couple of choices, I recall a few UK guys saying there was a guy at one of the main tube stations doing rep repair, only repair not mod.

PM me if you want a UK guy I know, I found recently :)

Probably the best thing to do is open it up and see what's grating. You should be able to unscrew the case back with your fingers and some pressure - maybe with some sticky tape to grip it.

I'm also in London by the way. I don't know anybody who'll fix such a beast.

Charlie

Opened it up (got one of those caseback removal tool thingies), and had a poke around. Cant see anything grating. Although the rotor is noisy it moves nice and freely. Im not confident enough to start removing stuff so i can see why the crown is so noisy. Perhaps i should try grease on the rotor bearing?

Whereabouts in London are you Charlie? Would love to meet someone whos into replicas aswell. If i do manage to find a good watch guy ill let you know.

As a rule of thumb, it is best to AVOID winding automatic watches -- particularly ones with Asian movements. The gears tend to be made of cheap metal, and strip easily. This could be the case with yours. Autos have a rotor, and a gentle shake is usually all it takes to get the watch underway.

Good luck.

Thanks for the advice. The reason i bought an automatic is because i like having a date window on my watches. Especially as id like to wear this one daily. Ive tried watches with no date before and just get frustrated. Im too used to a date complication.

Hello mate..

Lurking around for a bit !!! mate its 4 years ;):p

You have a couple of choices, I recall a few UK guys saying there was a guy at one of the main tube stations doing rep repair, only repair not mod.

PM me if you want a UK guy I know, I found recently :)

Will send you a PM. The reason ive been lurking so long is lack of confidence. I feel im just not knowledgable enough to be able to add anything worth while. I also didnt want to take all the time by asking continual questions without being able to give back abit. Must try harder!

Can I suggest send it back to the dealer and get them to have a look at it.

If its as knackered as you think it is then a replacement might be the better option.

Try not to feel to intimidated by the folks round here, as you can see already there are some good guys more than happy to lend a hand.

I reckon the next step could be to post up some pictures.

ST4

The reason ive been lurking so long is lack of confidence. I feel im just not knowledgable enough to be able to add anything worth while. I also didnt want to take all the time by asking continual questions without being able to give back abit. Must try harder!

Mate, you're more than welcome to post, with 4 years of lurking and reading some of our drivel posted here I'm sure you know a thing or two about reps to be able to write about them...no worries.

Just look at PeteM for example...the guy has been a lurker all his life not only on rep forums, and now he can't stop talking and writing - LOL! :D

If its as knackered as you think it is then a replacement might be the better option.

Try not to feel to intimidated by the folks round here, as you can see already there are some good guys more than happy to lend a hand.

ST4

+1 This Is what I would do If the watch Is bad as you say It Is. Can you hear the rotor spinning while It's on your wrist? If not then this might not be a issue. Like already stated above,dont hand wind your auto reps,better to swirl/rotate It In your hand to power It up. Good to hear from you Timbo,btw quartz watches have dates,but they have no soul, just saying :victory:

Just look at PeteM for example...the guy has been a lurker all his life not only on rep forums, and now he can't stop talking and writing - LOL! :D

Its much easier once the roofies kick in then they have to listen ;)

Good luck.

I think i misunderstood what you were saying the first time i read it, but ive got it now. Try to avoid manually winding a watch with a cheap automatic movement. I will do, thanks for the advice.

ST4

I told the dealer about the problems and he suggested i put grease on the rotor bearing. He wasnt particulary helpful. I wont mention who it is because that would be a little unfair. Ive delt with him before and his service is usually great, and his quality control first rate. I guess every now and then one has to slip through the net. Also if i sent this back to him i know he doesnt have a replacement, and i love the watch too much (last night i was dreaming that my life would be better if i sold my car and bought a gen!)

I have also noticed how nice people are round here. I couldnt have hoped for a better response. Thank you to everyone that has offered advice. I will definately try to join in a bit more from now on, starting with some photos to show my small collection.

+1 This Is what I would do If the watch Is bad as you say It Is. Can you hear the rotor spinning while It's on your wrist? If not then this might not be a issue. Like already stated above,dont hand wind your auto reps,better to swirl/rotate It In your hand to power It up. Good to hear from you Timbo,btw quartz watches have dates,but they have no soul, just saying :victory:

The rotor is very loud. Not only can i hear it on my wrist, but it can be heard from the other side of the room! Ive never heard anything like it.

I think i misunderstood what you were saying the first time i read it, but ive got it now. Try to avoid manually winding a watch with a cheap automatic movement. I will do, thanks for the advice.

I told the dealer about the problems and he suggested i put grease on the rotor bearing. He wasnt particulary helpful. I wont mention who it is because that would be a little unfair. Ive delt with him before and his service is usually great, and his quality control first rate. I guess every now and then one has to slip through the net. Also if i sent this back to him i know he doesnt have a replacement, and i love the watch too much (last night i was dreaming that my life would be better if i sold my car and bought a gen!)

I have also noticed how nice people are round here. I couldnt have hoped for a better response. Thank you to everyone that has offered advice. I will definately try to join in a bit more from now on, starting with some photos to show my small collection.

The rotor is very loud. Not only can i hear it on my wrist, but it can be heard from the other side of the room! Ive never heard anything like it.

Then you might want serously consider returning It,while you still have time.If you have found someone who works on reps then get there opinion,good luck

You can hear the rotor on swiss 7750 movements as well, but it shouldn't be that loud.

If you've already managed to open the case, I'd say you are half way there. Greasing the rotor is probably the easiest mod you can do on a rep. I use thick silicone grease as it's less likely to wander where it doesn't belong.

Could you damage something? Possibly, but that is how we learn. :thumbsupsmileyanim: Tinkering is all part of the fun for me.

• 4 months later...

You can hear the rotor on swiss 7750 movements as well, but it shouldn't be that loud.

If you've already managed to open the case, I'd say you are half way there. Greasing the rotor is probably the easiest mod you can do on a rep. I use thick silicone grease as it's less likely to wander where it doesn't belong.

Could you damage something? Possibly, but that is how we learn. :thumbsupsmileyanim: Tinkering is all part of the fun for me.

I know that this is months old, so I hope I'm not breaking any rules. Where does one buy: "thick silicone grease"? please, and do you have a brand name? I'm in the UK, if that makes a difference. Thank You.

I know that this is months old, so I hope I'm not breaking any rules. Where does one buy: "thick silicone grease"? please, and do you have a brand name? I'm in the UK, if that makes a difference. Thank You.

Go to WatchBitz in dealers section....then contact Offshore (A great member here) he runs it and will give you all the correct info and great prices...:thumbsupsmileyanim:

Go to WatchBitz in dealers section....then contact Offshore (A great member here) he runs it and will give you all the correct info and great prices...:thumbsupsmileyanim:

Thank You PeteM, You always come to my rescue. I hope one day I might be a useful Member.

Thank You PeteM, You always come to my rescue. I hope one day I might be a useful Member.

I got my silicone grease from a hardware store I believe. You want something thick that will lube the rotor bearings but not wander into any other parts of the watch. I have to say I've only had mixed success with that however. My 236k rotor is still really loud.

Mate, you're more than welcome to post, with 4 years of lurking and reading some of our drivel posted here I'm sure you know a thing or two about reps to be able to write about them...no worries.

He lurks on places he's not suppose to be, too!

He lurks on places he's not suppose to be, too!

I will have you know that...... I only ever lurk where I am not wanted....!!!

And if I am not lurking then I am stalking..... by the way F you need to do the washing up mate...its piling up and blocking my view !!!! ;)