When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

A Review of the LUM-TEC Bull45 A6

PeteM

I was recently lucky enough to acquire a couple of watches from the LÜM-TEC range. Who are LÜM-TEC? I might hear you ask!

Well, LÜM-TEC is the brain child of Chris Wiegand (Ray Knight on many forums). Chris is the president of The Wiegand Custom Watch Co. the parent company of LÜM-TEC. Chris has been involved with watches, in terms of collecting, building and creating; for quite a few years and a lot of the senior members here will be aware of the services he offered before deciding to direct his companies services to designing, building and selling their own brand of precision engineered watches.

One of the biggest features of the LÜM-TEC range is probably the use of MDV technology, this is a trademarked luming process developed by Chris. Chris has been involved in the luming of watches for many years and whilst developing his skill as a lumer; he began developing a way of applying lume in layers using a stylograph machine. This allows the lume to be built up in layers and to produce a very smooth and sharp finish whilst making the lume one of, if not, the strongest available on a watch today. The strength of this lume is also increased by using a type of base for the dial that allows the light to be reflected rather than absorbed as normal dials can be expected to do.

LÜM-TEC offers a wide range of design options, to cater for a wide range of tastes and uses. These watches can be seen on the wrists of people from all walks of life: from the watch collector to military personnel serving in operational theatres. In addition the model range offers a unique approach to design with limited build numbers, thus providing not only a well designed precision timepiece but also an air of exclusivity for the owners of these great time pieces and if so minded then also a potential investment.

Another great part of LÜM-TEC’s design philosophy is the way feedback from customers is designed into the newer ranges; this allows the designs to evolve based on the needs of the customer as well as the company and gives a very personal feel to the watch on your wrist.

As mentioned the range caters for a wide variety of tastes this can be seen in the sizes, shapes and colours of the watches but the underlying theme is the fantastically strong and colourful lume all these watches have and this is why, as a ‘Luministi’, I am a big fan!!

The Model I am showing (off!!) here today is the LÜM-TEC Bull A45 Model A6.

This is the info on the A6 and is based from info on the LÜM-TEC website

(www.lum-tec.com)

The Bull45 A6 45mm has 316L stainless steel case, with a bead blasted hard PVD black finish. It has top side crown and pushers. (The ‘Bullhead’ design), Thick sapphire crystal with a double sided anti reflective coating, It is water resistant to 100 Meters / 330ft., The dial has the inverse LUM-TEC MDV technology® luminous application, In addition this model offers a chronograph timer (11 hours/59 minutes/59 seconds), this watch is run using a heavy duty Japanese Miyota OS10 Chronograph movement, This watch comes with a superior grade moulded, anti-static rubber strap,. It is a limited series of 100 units only.

In addition the watch comes with a limited warranty and in a well presented display box set along with authenticity paperwork and documentation.

My first impression of the watch was; that this watch was even better looking in my hand than I had envisaged!!

The watch is heavy but not excessively so, it is more a sense of quality rather than just heaviness and it is the same when you put it on your wrist. The watch sits well and has a very comfortable feel. Even though it has the lightness of a leather (aftermarket) strap the watch is well balanced even with a loose fit ( my preferred way of wearing a watch) normally on a heavier watch only a good quality bracelet really gives a good feeling of balance, so this was a nice surprise; so to speak ;)

The lugs are surprisingly small for the watch but they work with the overall size and the strap sits well between them. However I would personally have liked slightly bigger lugs so the strap could be positioned higher up the sides of the case and closer to the top edge of the watch. But that does not detract in any way from the overall liking I have for this watch :)

The case itself is well constructed and has a very sturdy and an attractive design, it is not square in the sense of say a Bell & Ross 01 or 03 etc but more it keeps a sense of the traditional round watch but with corners!! I know that may sound daft but it is the only way I can describe it! It certainly sits on the wrist like a rounder watch might rather than the B&R and looks much less edgier than a B&R.

The dial is an off white/cream with strong black numerals and minute markers, the seconds and chronograph dials are likewise marked and are set well within the main dial so as not to look cluttered. The date window is positioned between 4 and 5 and is a white on black date wheel. OK the watch does not have the Swiss Made inscription on the dial but apart from the dial everything is sourced from Swiss sub contractors, the US made dial means it cannot be inscribed as such. And personally the dial was the most important part of my buying choice so that point is unimportant to me. The Swiss Made quality is there to be seen and felt even if not inscribed.

The hands again a sized well for the dial and are just right to ensure a clear view whilst maintaining a balance with the sense of size this watch brings.

The reason for the Bull name becomes clear when you see the chronograph pushers and crown at the top of the watch case mimicking that of the bull’s horns on its head. These are a good size and are easy to use for timing and time setting purposes whilst on the wrist. It is also great when you have the watch in your hand, it is much easier to use than the traditional arrangement and more comparable to a stopwatch design.

The PVD finish compliments the dial and design. The coating itself is very hard (not sure on the Vickers measurement) and the finish is just the right balance of sheen to give it a sense of quality with subtleness. I hate overly shiny PVD.

The crystal is thick but without any distortion at the edges it also has a double sided AR coating which appears to be very robust against scratches etc. There is a blue/purpley hue to the crystal in certain light which I think compliments the dial. The overall quality of the AR is good and does just what you expect it to in strong light!!

The movement is quiet and smooth, the seconds sub dial is at the three o’clock position and has a strong deliberate movement which again adds to the way this watch looks. The date wheel changes as you would expect from a watch of this quality. Though I must admit it can be hard to read the date in some light, however that could just be my eyes!! ;)

I might not have chosen this particular movement had I a choice and the money but it is a very robust and accurately functioning movement which is what you expect with a watch of this quality, in addition there is the comfort of knowing you have the back up of the LÜM-TEC warranty and service distributor centres throughout the world. LÜM-TEC is family run and prides itself on providing excellent customer service and is always prepared to go that extra mile for the customer, in other words it stands behinds it products.

Now I get to the best bit!!! The lume OR rather the exclusive MDV Technology that is a special 8 layer application of ultra bright glowing superluminova photoluminescent material!!

The lume is simply awesome!! The inversely lumed dial is so completely different to the normal lume you might expect on a watch then add to that the MDV technology and you have what is now my favourite ‘Luministi’ watch !! :)

The 2 lume pics above were taken in overcast afternoon light, it was much brighter natural light than the pic suggests

I took these pics in a cupboard just point and shoot pics (no exposure wotsits and that!! )

Overall and without doubt I really like this watch on so many levels, the design, the quality, the feel, and that great lume!! I think it also tells the time ;) !!

Prices vary on finish, movement etc but start at around $380 as I recall.

If you like and enjoy lume then take yourself over to the LÜM-TEC website or check out the forums listed on their web page.

Or if you just like watches with a great design and good quality that are exclusive and unlike anything else in your watch box then just get yourself on their website!! J

No matter which corner your taste might be in, I am certain there is something there for all tastes and any of the LÜM-TEC models will compliment your collection, large or small!!

Thanks for reading. Apologies if I have posted anything incorrect. I wrote this to the best of my knowledge. I am also not affiliated with LÜM-TEC in any way I just wanted to share with you guys a watch I really like :)

Please do not reproduce this review elsewhere :)