When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Requesting a review of new and old deployant clasps

Drulee

I've heard from multiple members that the latest deployants (included with the A7753 Daylights that have gator print straps, or sold for $45 from the Cartel) are significantly better in design than the old ones. In particular the latching mechanism is highly improved.

Is there a review of the two types yet? Can anyone, who has both, confirm the quality improvement? Comments :)

I have both old and new style.

I wouldn't exactly say the new design is better. The contour of the wings on the old ones when folded follows the wrist underside much nicer IMO, as it's flatter and doesn't dig into the wrist at the wing edges like the new one. The new clasp is also thicker and heavier, for me it's a slight drawback, but that's me.

However, I have to admit the overall brushed satin finish is more uniform and engraving on the new one is much closer to the gen.

The clasp engagement/disengagement using side push buttons feels more gen-ish on the new ones, indeed.

I may do a quick review sometime in not so distant future if I my current work/family schedule allows me to.

cheers,

b

Thanks babola. Typical, the factory corrects one flaw but adds another :rolleyes: A side by side, showing the difference in contour would be great :) No point in upgrading if you end up never wearing it due to discomfort ...

Oh, not this time, both clasps are true representation of their genuine counterparts, rep makers have done a very good job actually.

The genuine 'old-style' deployment clasp was flatter and thinner, for some reason Panerai decided to change the shape of the "wings" to the ones that fit smaller wrists better, but dig into the larger ones. Mind you, at 6.75" my wrist is considered mid-size, or average.

I also thought the change in a design of rep deployment on these new A7753 Daylights was a bit strange especially following the claims that it was copied from the original...until I went to AD and tried the gen - it was identical to a new rep clasp :)

The other thing I noticed was that the spring bar on the thumbnail has now been replaced by a push bar. So in a way its harder to remove the buckle to insert a thicker strap. Also the bar that fixes to the buckle side of strap is held in place by a tiny screw which can easily be lost the old version had 2 screw bars.

I have the old and latest plus a couple of gens so I will take some pics over weekend.

• 8 months later...

Gents,

Any good suggestions for a comfortable clasp? At this point, I don't care how close they are to gen, I just want a damn clasp that will fit my strap but not digging into my wrist! :)

The clasp on the new style ss bracelet is pretty good. More flat and it's pretty comfortable for me. But, what about a better clasp for rubber strap? Thanks!