When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

ETA Novodiac Spring Tool

preacher62

To you watch makers.

Are there any tricks to replacing this spring on a gen ETA 2836-2. The Asian made copies only have one slot for insertion and you can replace the spring easily with No. 2 tweezers, but the gen ETA has three slots and, IMHO, without the tool it seems darn near impossible.

Thanks!

MT

It is difficult to explain, but, basically, you hold the spring still with a sharpened toothpick or similar tool while pressing it into place & then rotating it into place with a dry oiler or similar tool. It definitely takes some practice & you will likely see 1 or 2 springs fly off into outer space along the way (fortunately, I have always been able to locate them).

Make a tool out of a plastic toothpick etc...

Cut it off flat across and sand it down if needed so it will fit down on the spring inside the setting.

Rough the surface up a little with sandpaper to provide a better grip.

Cut a dimple in the center with a small drill bit so just the outside edge grips the spring.

Nothin' to it.

Thanks to all for reply. I made a tool out of a piece of pegwood, just like Automatico described. Took a small bit and made a concave area right in the center and then shaped it down with sandpaper to the right size. Was able to get both springs in.

I used to have the spring tool but have misplaced it and didn't want to spend another $50. I am ready to spend the money, I think. Then I'll find the other tool. You know how that goes. I find these Novodiac shock jewels the most tedious part of reassembly. Everything else is fun.

The springs are so stinking light that if you get one one thousandths of a grain of magnetism in your tweezers, forget it. You can't put the spring down where you want it.

"Novodiac shock jewels the most tedious part of reassembly"

I can tell you one that is about as bad...KIF-Duofix cap jewel springs on rolex 1530/70 etc escape wheels. Cheap made and almost impossible to find replacements...a bad combination.

Here is a picture of the sorry things, there is a nest of them on this Felsa:

http://www.christophlorenz.de/watch/movements/f/felsa/felsa_4000.php?l=en

"Novodiac shock jewels the most tedious part of reassembly"

I can tell you one that is about as bad...KIF-Duofix cap jewel springs on rolex 1530/70 etc escape wheels. Cheap made and almost impossible to find replacements...a bad combination.

Here is a picture of the sorry things, there is a nest of them on this Felsa:

http://www.christophlorenz.de/watch/movements/f/felsa/felsa_4000.php?l=en

Ouch! I saw the balance jewels and said well what's he talking about...that the easiest spring there is. And then...and then...I saw those other jewels... I don't even have anything with which to pick that spring up.

You can pick up something like these KIF-TRIOR tools (A*F part 18538 - available from many watch parts suppliers) for r&r'ing various shock springs, but I still find that holding the spring with a pointed tool (like either item at right) & then loosening/tightening the spring with an oiler is just as effective & often easier

kiftool0011.jpg