When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Tropical Showers

lhooq

This is the 'Lite' version of my Tropic Thunder post, focusing on the Rolex/Tudor family.

While Tropic straps were available on purchase for the Submariner (and were stocked by some Rolex ADs until the late 1990s), I don't know if the same was true for either the Daytona or the Tudor Oysterdate. Nevertheless, they are period-correct, and the curved ends are a particularly good fit on the Daytonas.

1105545658_bcKkW-X3.jpg

1105545705_5kzD9-X3.jpg

1105545743_H5Lqg-X3.jpg

Wow! I like to say that my collection has big, Sub-sized, holes in it. I think that 6538 would fill one very nicely! :thumbs:

dieselpower: The Tropic/Daytona combo was sheer providence. At the time, I was searching for an OEM Rolex ostrich strap for my 6263, as an alternate to the folded-links. I just happened to have a 19mm Tropic that I had bought for no other reason but that it was grossly underpriced. For a mass-produced strap, the curved ends fit the Daytona lugs surprisingly well!

Later, I found an Italian dealer who was selling a silver-dialed 6240 on a Tropic strap. I don't think it was original to the watch, though, (for one thing, I'm fairly certain it was a Hong Kong Tropic) and I'm still not sure if Daytonas were ever sold on rubber.