When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Decideing whether to return my 1665

Prsist

I have noticed the watch stops sometimes when I have it in my winder. I dont recall it stopping when laying horizontal. I plan on watching it over the next few days. My first thought is to exchange it for another 1665 but I don't want to deal with another unknown and the slow boat to China. Since I plan on having it serviced I hope during that time the movt will be put right. Will a proper service movt solve all issues with the movt or just mask them. I have never had any of my watches serviced (gen or rep). I now figure the cost of a service in any rep I buy due to the dubious history of the movts in reps.

check the rotor make sure the angle isnt making it stick due to looseness, check whether it is indeed an eta as i know the asian made movements (not clones) WONT wind in a winder without adjusting the angle of the actual winder box first. i have mixed feelings about the 2846 as its predecessor the 2842 was designed to be disposable after ten years of service in swatch watches, its a rough unpolished movement with apparently self lubricating plastic pallets, now im not sure if the 2846 has plastic parts as of 2006 and being of the 21 jewel variety but it IS the bottom of the eta barrel and it is discontinued. the swatch base calibre 284x came in 23 jewels in later years. my advice to you is to find a chronometer grade slow beat replacement like ive been doing and forget the 2846 all together, it may not be worth servicing and the OCTO ones come dry as a bone, especially the reversing wheel pivots, which i convert to 21 jeweled movements by swapping in jeweled bearing reversing wheels in place of its original pin pivots, works , but its a PITA and im out of spare parts now.

Sounds like you have a handle on the situation. The 2846's in the PT 1665 and 1680 are older movements and therefore a service is a good idea. My PT 1665 dropped a screw out of a gear and stopped the movement dead. $40 later my watchmaker had it fixed. There's a guy over at RWI, 14060 or 16610, who you might check out. Don't know what he charges to service an eta, but he was pretty reasonable on my asian 7750.

The last thing I would do is send it back to China, it's just not worth it. Once you get it serviced, you should be good for 5-6 years.

I agree, dont send it back if you are going to service it anyways. Before you put it on the winder, did you wear it for a while or wind it manually? Sometimes they need a bit of a pre-winding to keep them going because the winder isnt enough. But i guess that depends on the winder... Some people recommend winding the watch manually before wearing it to give it a good jump start. For me, if the watch is dead, I give it a few swirls before and after setting the time to get it going before putting it on my wrist and never have a problem. When you tear your watch apart to mod it, take the movement to get serviced. Any local watchmaker can do it for you and you wont have to worry about it being a replica, because you've already taken it out of the watch.

@ highoeyazmuhdee - Does ETA make a chronometer grade low beat movement with the same diameter and stem placement as the 2846? Is there another brand thats similar that will accept ETA hands?

Ive been wearing my PT sub for the last couple weeks and i must admit, its been pretty accurate. I know it should be serviced though as im sure its a used movement pulled from another watch and dry as a bone. Well almost dry... I noticed moisture under the crystal the other day after I was out shoveling snow... I came inside and as the watch warmed up, it began to get a little foggy. I opened it up and dried it under a desk lamp and then put it in a ziplock with a couple of those silica gel packs to absorb the moisture. I'll have to for sure send it for service now. Ive got a couple movements i need to send out anyways so I'll add this one to the list.