When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What Watch Would You Wear To China?

dabom

To spell it out.......

Ive travelled the Far East extensively

Often openly wearing trinkets (and watches) of obvious value and in some of the more feared haunts

without problem

As I have elsewhere on the planet

China in my opinion is one of the least agressive places I have been

BUT.......... Its not the watch, the place, or the circumstance in these situations....... its YOU...

a fool can be mugged in Mayfair, a savvy can traverse the ghettos of Rio without problem.

Only you can decide, but the fact that youre asking is perhaps of itself the answer.

i agree with mr NARIKAA iv been various time to colombia south america & iv sported my eta sub reps without any problems thank god :) its not the safest place in the world but it also depends on the vibe that you put out :victory:

good luck in the rep capitol of the world :thumbsupsmileyanim:

With all respect to Admin, he was mugged for his gold chain and his platinum ring. The watch was a bonus - nobody but a WIS would know that model.

Which would bring it back to a watch is really a form of jewelry. In that sense, what you convey by what you wear is just common sense. A woman shouldn't flaunt diamond bracelets in public around dangerous neighborhoods, reserve the bling for social events. So say a gold Daytona would seem out of place but a SS sub would not walking down dark alleys, no matter how mean or big you may think you appear. Just make it a subtle looking watch gen or rep and you could take it anywhere on your travels, (and stay away from the gold chains and platinum rings!). :D

With all respect to Admin, he was mugged for his gold chain and his platinum ring. The watch was a bonus - nobody but a WIS would know that model.

On my trips to Asia I never wear any gold jewelry or watch.

Like my parents always said never to show your wealth...you never know who's

waiting outside to mug you.

I must say that I feel perfectly save in S'pore, but take caution in HK.

Don't worry what you wear. I wore my explore 2, IWC GST chrono all the time. Like you said, enjoy your watch during your vacation. It's more important that you use your common sense. That's true about everywhere you go. Sticking your arm out with a Rolex on from a car isn't exactly a smart thing to do in any country, esp. in China. Muggers and pickpockets pick easy targets. The latter takes advantage of messy situation where you are distracted from your belongings. Muggers don't like smart, big, fast targets. But you're drunk and alone. You are like wearing a 'Mug Me' sign. Also, be really careful when you're offered to go to a girl's place whom you barely met. Same goes for calling on hookers. Don't go out alone for this kind of business if possible.

Edited by bklm1234