When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Bought two gen 1675 dials - please help me

Andei3000

Hi fellas,

the Rolex bug has bitten me, since I saw Rolexaddicts uberawesome 1675 builds.

I've just bought two gen 1675 dials:

b961qcwcgkkgrhqnleeyjc2.jpg b9t8ggwkkgrhqiokkqezhog.jpg

What should I build with those two?

Are those dials only suitable for a big arrow and pointed style crownguards build?

please help a total rolex noob :(

thanks in advance

Andei

If it is a gen dial...it'll fit the new 1655 that Josh is selling, you'll have to convert a 1655 to a 1675...like what I'm doing here...

http://www.rwgforum.com/topic/124540-building-of-a-1675-cornino-from-a-1655/page__p__901150#entry901150

As for the dials, I believe that you would have to go with the big GMT and the non-pointed guard to be correct...but I'm not the definitive expert on this.

thanks chiman,

read that already somewhere and fortunately I bought a disassembled 1655 for 50$ recently :thumbsupsmileyanim:

A total mystery is still - how the bezel will fit on the 1655 case (there is no lip where the spring of the bezel get a hold on????)

Now the 1655 bezel is a pressure fit with a casket which holds the crystal too, but how is this going to work with a turnable bezel?

alot of questions again...

thanks in advance

Andei

Sweet deal Andie, especially if the GMT hand is ETA spec!

The 1655 is definitely a 1:1 case. The original 1675 bezel does not have a bezel spring, it was friction fitted. The bezel rotates around the retaining ring. I wish I could find a picture to explain it.

Maybe some else has a pic of a 1675 bezel

thanks Chi and Ubi,

should I buy a bezel assembly from wholesaleoutlet

or should I buy a cheapo 1675 rep and transfer the bezel construction(if the rep has the same 4 piece construction as Ubi mentioned)

man I'm a total beginner regarding Rolex modding :)

thanks

I'll definitely relume the missing markers, but I'm not sure which dial I'm going to use, as the

totally beaten up dial has such a nice vintage appeal, that I might use this one.

NO, doesnt fit in my experience on genuine cases, their parts seldom do.

which means I should transfer it from another rep?

Well, the problem with using a bezel assmebly from another rep is that it likely won't fit. Most rep 1675s are different in size, some of which were based on a 5513 case which has a different size rehaut lip/crystal O.D.

I've had this bezel ring and insert for a long while, and honestly I have no idea what I'm going to do with it, if anything. It does need a retention ring and washer...

IMG_1861.jpg

IMG_1849.jpg

IMG_1862.jpg

:g:

The dial probably wouldn't fit a standard rep case. But if you have one of the new 1655 cases that's out, if chiman says it will fit, it'll fit!

:)

As for the bezel and insert above; it is intended to fit a gen. Both are aftermarket, but they are gen spec. Since the 25-116 fits that new 1655 case, all you'd need is a retention ring to fit. One can even be custom machined if necessary...

I use 1675 complete assembly from whoolesaloutlet and Clark cyclop 25-116. Everything works perfect, it needs light fitting, very easy to achieve.

GMTproject1.jpg

You should have your dials refinished, if you are in Europe I have a good professional shop adress in Paris if you are interested, the only problem, tritium is not allowed, they use luminova

please don't let the dial "refinish" = repaint = garbage ;)

the right dial is usable - a little lume on the 1 and 2 an a layer matte spray = should look like new :)

the other dial my be cool for an extreme vintage built :)

you need the new case from Josh - all the older case sets are garbage too ;)

cheers,

Frank

Thanks RA and Frank,

I woun't let someone refinish my dials, I'm going to do it myself.

Lume and "wasserfarben" are ready for vintage lume, tamiya clear matte coat is stocked up and the dremel is locked and loaded ;)

Sternkreuz 116 is ordered as well.

What datewheel overlay should I use and where do I get one of those?

Thanks in advance

Andei

If you buy the 1655 from Jos, it should have the correct datewheel overlay on that watch as-is. So, for that project, you can just re-use the case and movement w/ date overlay; swap in your dial, a correct 5.3mm crown/tube, GMT Merc hands, 25-116 and bezel assembly. Drill the lugs... Should be a pretty neat 1675 all said and done :)