When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Dw Daytona Vj72 Type.

watcher

As a soon to be DW Daytona owner and hopefully the owner of a VJ72 original movement also my question is regarding the hands. Do the hands from the mystery DW movement fit the Valjoux or do I need to source new ones?

I'm looking forward to this project and I'm willing to spend good money on producing a very lovely example that I can take pride in wearing!

Already got oem tube and crown plus tropic 21. Any help on what else will be required would be very helpful.

Thanks guys! :)

If you're planning on using a V72 as the powerplant, you'll want to have a V72 specific case kit. The DW's with the mystery movements have the crown tube slightly above axis of the pushers; as such, the movement will not line up with the tube, and the stem will not fit the tube center (which will be a problem).

If you plan on going the route of a complete DW with mystery movement and swapping movements out, you can either modify the case for the V72, or simply use a Swiss V23, which is physically a drop in replacement.

Regarding hands- For a V72, you'll need V72 specific hands, as the mystery movement hands are too small. For a Swiss V23, you'll need a combination of V72 hands, V23 hands, and DW mystery movement hands.

The tube and T21 are an easy swap. The tube can be installed after a re-tap of the case (nothing further is needed). Regarding the bezel- If you have the acrylic bezel, you'll need to trim out the inner diameter slightly to fit. The solid steel bezel doesn't need to be trimmed, as that can be installed with a press, however, you'll want to avoid using a press with the acrylic as there is risk of bending/warping the entire bezel.

Hope this helps!

Best,

R

Excellent post.

Ubi ? I have the Vj 23 and a DW mystery movement.

What do you mean when you said

For a Swiss V23, you'll need a combination of V72 hands, V23 hands, and DW mystery movement hands.

Do I need new hands or the hans for the DW mystery movement will fit the VJ23 ?

Also, did you use a extension to the stem, or swap stems for a tap 10 ?

Thanks,

P

pitimany,

To use the Swiss V23, you'll need a combination of: V72 hands, V23 hands and mystery movement hands. It's a mix and match- i.e. hour minute are from one set, center seconds is from another set, and subdial hands are from the other set. So, you need parts from all 3 sets. Hope that makes sense (I could be explaining it incorrectly).

For the stem... I used a tap 10 with genuine crown.

THat is great, thankyou. I have not yet got the watch but as far as I know it has the mystery movement and works.

I'm guessing that the V23 is a two register movement so do you just freeze the 6 hand? or would it be worth the mods to fit a 72?

Thanks

Paul

I just used used the crown. Basically, thread the crown to the tube and then thread the tube into the case. Keep turning until seated completely.

I do not know why it does not work... I have re threaded the case and when inserting the crown it stop about half way... ver annoying... I am trying to find the correct tool on ebay but nothing yet

THat is great, thankyou. I have not yet got the watch but as far as I know it has the mystery movement and works.

I'm guessing that the V23 is a two register movement so do you just freeze the 6 hand? or would it be worth the mods to fit a 72?

Thanks

Paul

Correct- The V23 is a bi-compax movement, so the 6:00 register is frozen. To me, it's not a huge deal since I never use the stopwatch function on any of my watches, but the lack of this function boters some people :lol:

At any rate- fitting a v72 will require some work. Mostly, it's grinding the interior of the case, which can be tricky unless you know someone who has a lathe.

Best of luck!

R

I do not know why it does not work... I have re threaded the case and when inserting the crown it stop about half way... ver annoying... I am trying to find the correct tool on ebay but nothing yet

Hi The collector,

Cousins or AG Admin in the UK probably stock this tool even though neither list it on their web sites unless I missed it. Ofrei and Jules Borel in the US both stock them. The one you want is for the new style 6 mm (or 7mm, fits both) case tube. Take care when tightening up the case tube to the case. A little too much force and you can strip the splines off the tool or shear off the tube at the case. I've done both at different times and either one sucks.

Hi The collector,

Cousins or AG Admin in the UK probably stock this tool even though neither list it on their web sites unless I missed it. Ofrei and Jules Borel in the US both stock them. The one you want is for the new style 6 mm (or 7mm, fits both) case tube. Take care when tightening up the case tube to the case. A little too much force and you can strip the splines off the tool or shear off the tube at the case. I've done both at different times and either one sucks.

You can also use a Torx T8 or T9 bit (depending on the tube that you're installing). I've used this method many, many times all with perfect results.