When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Pam 177L Side by Side ...Rep vs Gen

Jos Nana

You goofy noobs!!

Let me handle this one boys as someone who had owned the gen and only recently sold it (for Bomba!)

1. Major flaw is with all open caseback pams, the movement. The finishing on the plates, the font thickness of the Office Panerai and the regulator (Noobish-the little thingie that looks like a knife to the left of the brass wheelie thingie)

2. LH never made a 177 but his 111 had far more flaws than this including but not limited to the following (besides being over a $1000.00 for a pile of Chinese sweatshop made parts)

a. Incorrect crappy, thick, blueish Rep AR - Most all LH owners would have thhis removed and or recoated which cost additional money

b. Incorrect color Luminor Panerai font on the dial - LH's original dial featured a crisp white font which was too white and incorrect, his later dials featured a butter tan colored font which was also WRONG WRONG WRONG!! Those spending hundereds on LH dials guess what? You [censored] away money!! Congrats

c. Dial paint would often flake and peel in the case. I know Rex saw a number of them with this problem which meant crappy painti and or crapping application of the dial paint

d. pretty crappy lume. His original dials had a very thinly applied SuperLume (or so he claimed) most everyone had these dials relumed. I believe he has used correct superlume for the past year or so

e. Great GREAT GREAT!! Movement but tremendously unreliable. LH movvement's are thus far the closest made manual made rep pam movements. Excellent plates and especially excellent engraving on the original movements he made (He has eleminated the movement plate engraving and now uses aplied decals which is quite lame and cheap) Movements were wildly unreliable, some were great, some [censored] poor

f. paper thin casebacks.

H. very nice cases that were better served as PRE-V cases

Know how I know all this? I was a dummy who [censored] $800 away on a LH movement and dial powered watch. Mine had the original terrific engraved movement.

NOW:

I have sat back and heard alot of poop back and forth from alot of self appointed experts on this watch and had a good laugh. Now I know some of these guys have actually owned gens like Wolf so he can say whatever the hell he wants, prob has a better eye for things than me. But there are a numer of the self appointed experts whom I'd wager have never even seen the gen in person and base their decries on Macro pics from Risti. You guys have my thanks for a good laugh!! This watch (aside from the movement) is far more accurate than any LH. The dial is superior, the caseshape appears superior, The crown, crownguard all superior to a LH and less than a third of the price

From my own observations as someone who owns 4 gen pams and has recently owned a Gen 177H my bone to pick with this watch is the crown being too close to the case.This means the tube does not stick out far enough from the case or the crown is slightly fatter and thus covers more of the visible Crown tube and appears closer to the case. In either case it is a tough fix without swapping out the crown and crownguard.

The movement doesn't bug me because the Plates (which have pretty nice finishing) can be removed and put on a better (hopefully swiss) movement or if my sources come through I plan to add a Gen movement

So that's my two cents. Hope I helped the noobs. love them so much the little darlings!!

I am excited for this watch. With in my eyes only one noticable flaw (aside from the movement)

Hope you enjoy it for those who ordered like me!

Thanks a lot for that info :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Here is a nice picture of the genuine Pam 177 :whistling:

http://www.blowers-jewellers.co.uk/PAM177_S13333.htm

You goofy noobs!!

Let me handle this one boys as someone who had owned the gen and only recently sold it (for Bomba!)

1. Major flaw is with all open caseback pams, the movement. The finishing on the plates, the font thickness of the Office Panerai and the regulator (Noobish-the little thingie that looks like a knife to the left of the brass wheelie thingie)

2. LH never made a 177 but his 111 had far more flaws than this including but not limited to the following (besides being over a $1000.00 for a pile of Chinese sweatshop made parts)

a. Incorrect crappy, thick, blueish Rep AR - Most all LH owners would have thhis removed and or recoated which cost additional money

b. Incorrect color Luminor Panerai font on the dial - LH's original dial featured a crisp white font which was too white and incorrect, his later dials featured a butter tan colored font which was also WRONG WRONG WRONG!! Those spending hundereds on LH dials guess what? You [censored] away money!! Congrats

c. Dial paint would often flake and peel in the case. I know Rex saw a number of them with this problem which meant crappy painti and or crapping application of the dial paint

d. pretty crappy lume. His original dials had a very thinly applied SuperLume (or so he claimed) most everyone had these dials relumed. I believe he has used correct superlume for the past year or so

e. Great GREAT GREAT!! Movement but tremendously unreliable. LH movvement's are thus far the closest made manual made rep pam movements. Excellent plates and especially excellent engraving on the original movements he made (He has eleminated the movement plate engraving and now uses aplied decals which is quite lame and cheap) Movements were wildly unreliable, some were great, some [censored] poor

f. paper thin casebacks.

H. very nice cases that were better served as PRE-V cases

Know how I know all this? I was a dummy who [censored] $800 away on a LH movement and dial powered watch. Mine had the original terrific engraved movement.

NOW:

I have sat back and heard alot of poop back and forth from alot of self appointed experts on this watch and had a good laugh. Now I know some of these guys have actually owned gens like Wolf so he can say whatever the hell he wants, prob has a better eye for things than me. But there are a numer of the self appointed experts whom I'd wager have never even seen the gen in person and base their decries on Macro pics from Risti. You guys have my thanks for a good laugh!! This watch (aside from the movement) is far more accurate than any LH. The dial is superior, the caseshape appears superior, The crown, crownguard all superior to a LH and less than a third of the price

From my own observations as someone who owns 4 gen pams and has recently owned a Gen 177H my bone to pick with this watch is the crown being too close to the case.This means the tube does not stick out far enough from the case or the crown is slightly fatter and thus covers more of the visible Crown tube and appears closer to the case. In either case it is a tough fix without swapping out the crown and crownguard.

The movement doesn't bug me because the Plates (which have pretty nice finishing) can be removed and put on a better (hopefully swiss) movement or if my sources come through I plan to add a Gen movement

So that's my two cents. Hope I helped the noobs. love them so much the little darlings!!

I am excited for this watch. With in my eyes only one noticable flaw (aside from the movement)

Hope you enjoy it for those who ordered like me!

order placed...need to bring a sandwich dial back into the fold...and geez - this really is a great value priced piece...

@tanya...well said...question: i've always found variation in the finish/texture of various PAM dials...is the 177 gen dial "textured" or is it "flat black"?...obviously its tough to tell by these early pix...

Progress marches on. This watch is less than half what I have into mine. Mods include, canon pin, lume and AR. This model was around $350 new when I picked one up 5 years ago. You guys should quiet down and be happy to have such a nice watch at an unbelievably low price. The global economic downturn sure is making good quality reps more affordable.

i put together this crude view of (3) 177 models...

the left one is a recent FS piece that was sourced by Josh - pre177...this one was modded and sold for approx $500usd...

the middle one is the new 177L from nikos1978...$218 plus shipping ($25usd to US)...

the right one is my old 177, modded, with LH dial...sold for approx $500usd...give or take... ;)

the new 177L looks good to me...and with the mods (superlume, high cp, clear ar, nice crown and cg, etc) this is a steal IMO...

enjoy - R

hackr177compare.jpg

I just thought it would be easier to buy one and make my own mind up and no matter what I decide to do with it...in terms of mod it or part it for a project..

I am glad its here !! :)

O.T.

Hey Dom!! I guess the tricep work aint going too well or was it that turd in your breakfast cereal!! ;):)

My 2500th post and still full of sh*t !!

i'm in on this one...its a terrific value piece...

of most interest to me is the crystal...will be cool to know the thickness and also the quality of the AR...do the math on getting a nice quality piece of PAM glass and then going the aftermarket ar path...you're halfway there in justifying the watch cost...

my 2 cents... :victory:

I think the biggest winner here is going to be Doc ;)

I was actually quite surprised that a new titanium PAM was being produced...thought Doc had cornered the market on PAM titanium... :whistling:

O.T.

Happy Holidays, Pete, you ole sot!...(learned that term from drunken evenings with Jethro Tull)