When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Should I cannibalize a PT 1665 to help built my MBW?

Zackb911

So I need help figuring my best course of action. I have an Older MBW 1665 DRSD which I've been aging over the past few weeks which has made a world of difference. I had several MBW's in the past and regrettably sold some real gems... Luckily I stumbled across this one and seek to redeem myself.

There are two issues.

1. First I would much prefer a GWSD to the DRSD
  2. Second the movement in mine is near death and in serious need of a full service or replacement (hard to start, loses several minutes a day, etc).

My options as I best see it are:

1. Buy a used MBW GWSD dial, from a member or eBay, and send it and the watch out for a full service/dial swap. ~$150-$200, sell the DRSD and maybe recoup some. This would yield me a fully serviced movement and nice MBW dial but faster beat and incorrect DW.
  2. Buy a PT GWSD and swap the movement and dial right into the MBW case and call it a day. $220 and recoup a few bucks selling the case. I believe the dials aren't as nice and I've heard questionable things about the movements. Yet this could be a quick DIY fix and I hear the bracelets and end-links are decent.

Ultimately I CANNOT afford to drop much money into the watch and if I were smart I would abandon the project(poor law student). I'm looking to do either of the above, a Gen 703 Crown, aftermarket tube, Clark T39, Drilled lugs from JMB, and Vintage pearl. I.E. sink no more than an extra $300 into it.

So what would you experts advise and why? I have a feeling no matter how careful I am this may quickly become a money pit :)

IMG_2119.jpg

IMG_2116.jpg

IMG_2115.jpg

IMG_2113.jpg

IMG_2112.jpg

IMG_2110.jpg

buying a PT for the GW dial and movement alone are not worth the $200

first off the PT dial has nothing on an MBK GW dial. most members swap out the PT in fact for a different one due to the datewindow issue

4614492360_f15f8f3c47.jpg

secondly 2846s arent the best movements, more often than not the ones that come in the new slow beat sub-dwellers also require servicing immediately, theres a reason there are no chrono grade 2846s and they were intentionally made for swatch watches and include plastic parts and no finishing.

what i would do is buy an MBK dial (less than you think) and a different slow beat movement, even a chronometer grade one (all slow beat ETAs will require servicing by now) both of which will be less than buying the PT just for the dial and movement. dial+movement+service i bet you can get it done for $300

Edited by highoeyazmuhudee

Thanks guys. Having the slow beat isn't a huge deal to me plus I would rather not deal with potential date wheel/overlay issues. That being the case I should probably just stick with an ETA service and an MBW GWSD dial swap. I'm waiting on a member who has that dial to PM me, if I could get it soon I have a guy who can service it and do a vintage lume for me, send it the JMB for lugs drilled, and follow up down the road with the T39, tube, and crown.

This all depends on a number of factors...

Can you swap movements and dials yourself? Do you have the tools?

option 1 - If money is no object, then sure, buy a chronometer grade ETA and have it installed with a white MBW or Yuki 1665 dial etc etc.

option 2 - If you dont plan on spending a lot on this project, and you dont have a lot of experience working on mechanical watches, then the Puretime 1665 swap is a great idea. Take the "guts" out of the PT and toss them into your MBW. Attach a gen crown while you are at it, and you are good to go. No messing with reinstalling hands and aligning datewheels etc. Then sell off the PT case and bracelet to recoup some of the costs.

option 3 - buy a Yuki dial or a used MBW great white, take your watch to get serviced and have them swap the dial at the same time. As for the date font, overlays are readily accessable, but a lot of watchmakers wont install them because they are a pain in the butt to align.

Option 2 would be the cheapest because you can sell off your existing movement in your MBW, the 1665 PT case and bracelet and your double red dial and end up recovering most of the $200 you spent on the PT watch. ;)

I would locate another dial (& handset) & get the movement serviced. Properly serviced, the 2846 is quite capable of meeting COSC specs (+6/-4 secs/day) & should be reliable for 5-7 years (the recommended service interval for most mechanical movements). The dial can be swapped during the movement service.

Clarks hands like all rep hands seem to have that one noticeable flaw with the hour hand. the perfect rep hands belong to WM9. if you cant source those, Clarks are probably the next best thing.