When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Is it worth having fixed ?

Chaotik

Hi all...

Well, what was gonna happen happened...

After almost 2 and a half years of service, my trusty (and cheap) 21J Planet Ocean no longer works properly.

It picks up plenty of time (sometimes an hour) over a 24 hour period and that's only if I wear it since the power reserve is now absimal.

What do you say ? salvageable or not ? If yes, what am I looking in terms of cost and where could I have it done !?

Thanks

Hi all...

Well, what was gonna happen happened...

After almost 2 and a half years of service, my trusty (and cheap) 21J Planet Ocean no longer works properly.

It picks up plenty of time (sometimes an hour) over a 24 hour period and that's only if I wear it since the power reserve is now absimal.

What do you say ? salvageable or not ? If yes, what am I looking in terms of cost and where could I have it done !?

Thanks

Well, you have several choices. 1. Get it serviced. Their are several watch repair folks on the forum, who can service your movement. 2. Throw it all away and get another one just like it, and hope it runs for 2 1/2 years as well. 3. replace the movement with an ETA (serviced) and probably count on a minimum of 5 years before you need it serviced again.

As to cost, it varies depending on the movement, new ones are cheaper than a service, but it may run for 6 months or less if it's dry and dirty. It would be best to contact one of the watch repair folks to get and idea of the costs.

Josh has some of the new 42mm models on special right now for $128. You get the same watch as the Swiss version, except the movement.

So you get new AR, the HEV valve position, the security engravings, Omega logo with no happy feet!! Pretty good deal for $128!! Also, if it's basically the same watch as the Swiss, then you should be able to drop an ETa 2824 in there and it will fit (if what Josh claims is true of course!).

I would go for a new one from Josh mate, makes a lot of sense!!

Sixx :bones:

Sounds like a tangled hairspring. Put the watch in your palm, face down, and give it a good slap on the back. You will likely find that it will be enough to separate the coils and slow your watch to normal speed. Honestly, the watch isn't worth enough to repair, and the new ones are much better.

If you want to learn more about how are hobby works I would hold onto it and do a movt swap. if not still hold onto it for possible future use or "pay it forwqrd" at the appropriate time. if you really like the watch get a new and improved ine, still hold onto it.