When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

"No-name" Rolexes

mastergod

Granted, the pic below is an OYSTER, however most Rolexes I've seen are called oyster-something so IMO it doesn't count. They always have "sub-brand" names such as SUBMARINER :whistling: SEADWELLER or at least - and stretching the term - PRECISION.

post-2870-0-62419700-1293205834.jpg

Intuitively I figure that -A- the above watch was made before the era of sub-brands (dismissed) -B- that there was severe inconsistency within Rolex SA, -C- that Rolex catered for specific institutional customers (such as the military) who didn't want messy dials or -D- You tell me.

Do we know? And do we know a source of information on no-name Rolexes? I like them.

Thanks for any help (damn gotta go do xmas) :drinks:

mg

EDIT: Or is it simply a repaint...

The very first Rolex watch which is now known as a Submariner, the 6200, only had Rolex Oyster Perpetual on the dial, it wasn't branded the Submariner for a little while... The bubblebacks, again, were only branded Rolex Oyster Perpetual. WIth the above listed watch, my gut says -D-...

Case is Explorer-esque, hands from a DateJust, and the dial, again, Explorer-esque, but I wouldn't like to say. Possibly a pre-Explorer dial, possibly a faux-vintage project built by someone (like me :whistling: ) who just wanted to have their own custom Rolex, and built it to look period specific to avoid the recognition of a shiny new watch (the end of the bracelet, the endlinks, and condition of the bezel and lugs makes me suspect a modern build) Either way, very tasty :victory::drinks::victory: