When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Next Generation Of Reps?

Starbug

What / Where / When will the next Generation of reps come?

I'm thinking of primarily Rolex reps.. but I know you guys that love those chunky rambo Italian watches will read this too :Jumpy::black_eye:

I've only been here a short time, but I've seen mention of the fact that the reps seem to improve with each generation.. What I'm wondering is what improvements we will see next, and when do you guys speculate we'll see the next generation of reps?

Most of the Rolex reps and many more (non-chrono's) with swiss movements come with the 2836-2. Reading through the helpful posts from The Zigmeister, it appears that there is an improved 289x series.

Will this be something that will appear more and more in new reps as time goes by?, or will the focus be more upon replicating the look and feel of gens?.. perhaps the next generation of reps will be replicating the next generation of the genuine models?

All you expert rep collectors opinions and views (and perhaps hopes for the future of reps) are most welcome!

Reps are constantly changing. When will the next generation be here? Maybe it's already here! And the next generation after that isn't far behind. I've got the new 2006 sub and w/ a few mods, it's practically indiscernable from the gen. And even as a base watch out of the box, it ain't bad to begin with. Few people other than experts are going to be able to tell that it ain't real. Of course, if you hang out here, you might just become an expert if you're not careful. At the very least, hopefully, you won't get called out wearing a "bad" rep. And maybe have some fun at the same time!

As previous replies indicated, new reps, or generations of reps, are appearing every day. It's an exciting time as we try to figure out which models will appear next and try to plan our next purchases.

If you are talking about new generations of existing reps, you might want to think like a rep manufacturer. Simply put: how much does he/she need to spend to reach that "next level" of quality, and how much do they expect to gain from updating an existing model vs. bringing out a rep of a completely different watch? I'd suggest to you that rep manufacturers might see more incentive to go from 70% accuracy to 80% or 85% than to go from 80-85% accuracy up to 97-98%.

These are reps. Most people, including the persnickety members of boards such as this one, provide a pretty good volume of business at the 85-90% level. And once the market has purchased large volumes of watches at 85-90%, how much of that market is going to get rid of the old to get the 97% accurate model? Some, certainly, but enough to make the upgrade a good business decision? Especially when the release of a new model such as the IWC Portugese or Bentley GT causes a stampede of new purchases?

My predictions for the months ahead in order of likelihood. from 99% likely to wishful thinking:

1)Asia 7750 w/ power reserve @ 5:00

2)Actual big date a la Lange, Glashutte, etc.

3)Functioning moon-phase

4)2894-2 copy

5)el primero copy

My predictions for the months ahead in order of likelihood. from 99% likely to wishful thinking:

3)Functioning moon-phase

4)2894-2 copy

5)el primero copy

An 5)el primero copy would solve a lot of the subdial spacing and/or reliability issues inherent with modified 7750. I hope they make this happen soon ...

3)Functioning moon-phase

4)2894-2 copy

5)el primero copy

if anything of the above mentioned come till the end of the year i will be more than happy...

I hope for a good Breitling Chronomat with 7750 matel bracelet and matte finish.

Ditto. SMP Chronograph came out already so we can remove that from the list. So let's see... there's still TAG Aquaracer 2000 chronograph, Carrera and Aquagraph. Then Zenith El Primero Rainbow Flyback, Ebel 1911 (7750-based) and vintage GMT Master.

Now... that would be my complete wishlist... at least for now. Those would keep me and my wallet busy for a while.