When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

DW 6263 with gen val23

marcoxxx1984

Hi friends,

I'm thinking about a new project... A DW 6263 project with valjoux 23... Could you please give me some info (even by PM) on prices of the following items:

- DW top grade dial and hands

- genuine tropic 21. How is the quality of clark's tropic or sternkreuz??

- genuine crown (whic one should I get? 7mm or 6mm??

- ofrei pushers

Thanks friends!!

Marco

- DW top grade dial and hands

- genuine tropic 21. How is the quality of clark's tropic or sternkreuz??

- genuine crown (whic one should I get? 7mm or 6mm??

- ofrei pushers

Dial/hands - click here

Gen T21 averages around $200 (ebay, etc)

Gen crowns (either 6mm Twinlock or 7mm Triplock are correct for the 6263) average around $200 (ebay, etc)

Ofrei pushers - click here

So whats the difference between the DW mystery movement case and the v72 case? Thickness?

I guess I'll just throw my 6263 in the trash and start over... :blink:

I remember a number of years back, there were two complete v72 watches for sale that apparently belonged to DW himself. Asking price was $1800 each I believe... or maybe it was $2800? Either way I should have bought one. It would have been cheaper than this 4 year project I'm still working on here...

dizz

Domi fitted my V726 in a MM case with no problem. I think he didn't even have to modify the case, perhaps I was very lucky and David stuck mine in a V72 case. I don't know for sure, but I guess that's what he does since it wouldn't be very practical for him to have extra cases for a relatively low demand version.

As I told you on another forum don't buy the V23 copy, it'll break eventually, IF it does works when you receive it. I would also go for a gen V72 instead of a V23. Rehaut will be wrong when you put a V23 in it and the price difference today also doesn't justify the "small" solution. Something I've learned from my 6263 (which was a headache and took me over a year to finish) is that careful planning will save you tons of cash. Think about what you expect from your watch, if it's accuracy bite the bullet and save up some more. If you just like the Cosmograph design and look for a relatively cheap solution go for the 7760 version, it'll save you a lot of trouble!

I thinks so, the hight of both movements is slightly different, see here:

Valjoux 72: H=6.95mm

Valjoux 23: H=5.82mm

With my V726 installed the difference is very striking compared to when the copy movement was installed. I don't think Domi modified the case, so it should be a similar difference when you fit a gen V23.

The difference between a V23/MM case and V72 isn't so much in the rehaut, it's in the crown/stem height (i.e. the position in which the hole for the tube is drilled in the case).

Here is a comparison of my V72 6265 franken and my wife's MM movement 6263.

Valjoux 72; case is a Phong/JW case. Note the crown's position/height in relation to the pushers:

IMG_9889.jpg

Valjoux 23; case is an early DW. Note that the crown on this is much higher/closer toward the bezel:

IMG_9880.jpg

Rehaut on both. Gen silver dial is the V72; PN exotic dial is the DW:

IMG_9931.jpg

IMG_9935.jpg

BTW, for the record my old original DW from a few years back had a Swiss V23 that I had transplanted with no problems. A V23 going into a MM is a 1 to 1 swap.

204_0466.jpg

For the few folks that had retrofit a V72 into their MM cases at the time, modification to the rehaut was necessary to allow the V72 to sit deeper in the case thus allowing the stem to line up center in the tube. The height difference is maybe less than a mm which doesn't sound like much, but when you're dealing with tolerances as small as those involved with lining a stem center in a tube, it's significant as the result could be snapped stems.

If I still had my extra V72 case, I'd just give it to you. But I already gave it away last month...

Thanks for the thoughts anyways Ubi! :victory:

After seeing the difference in rehaut between the two, the choice is apparent. I did not know there was a difference. There isnt too much talk these days here about the old daytonas... Thats probably a good thing though because I would be broke if I got excited about this one again!

dizz