When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Wanted - reps for donation

smc

I realize it's late to ask, but I just thought of it now.

I'm going to Cuba on the 22nd, and it's pretty common to tip down there with items that the people can't get instead of money. I had the idea that I might give out some reps.

So... If you have any cheap, unused but still working reps that you would like to donate, please let me know and I'll stuff them in my camera bag and hand them out in Cuba :)

I'm in the Greater Toronto Area, and work at Bay and Wellington.

Tx

Am I missing something mate?

Are you asking us to donate reps to you so you can use the watches to tip for the service that you receive while on holiday?

Hey you don't have to play or agree.

I occasionally give beggars money - not because it's going to have a life-long impact, but because it might make a person happy for a little while. How would you feel if someone gave you a nice watch that was worth up to a full years wage?

I guess it's different if you are getting the gift, not giving it.

Edited by smc

Ok...

I give up.

The only person that deserves nice things is *insert name here*

Everyone else should work to make *insert name here* rich, while *insert name here* wears his knockoff watch.

If that is what you want to do go for it, never let others dissuade you from doing what you feel strongly about. With that said I think it would potentially cause more harm than good. Look up red cross or another charity site and find out what essentials is needed and maybe go in that direction. Just food for thought.

I have a freind from Toronto who's wife is a teacher and trevels to Cuba to educate...she brings down things that are useful to the people like katchup packets and crayons for the childern...but rep watches? Serves no purpose to them.... <_<

I have been in Cuba and people are well educated there; they do no t want watches; they like jeans, soap, toothpaste and of course dollars. My uncle is the dean of the Philosophy faculty; here went there to study and the revolution caught him back on the 60's and he loves it there.

I am down baglc1 where do I send my unwanted cash to again. :)

What seemed like a good idea was quickly shot down. I found when going to those places that better than a tip was showing them some of my crappy Spanish skills even though I am sure i butchered many words I never once had anyone give me some crappy service. I think it is because many in those areas are used to lazy tourists who make no effort and expect people to understand them, when someone does show effort they appreciate it. And a small amount of cash goes a very long way large flashy gifts like say a 100 dollar rep or even a 10 or 15 dollar glaringly fake is not really needed or wanted. One thing you will want to do though is convert any US dollars into something else usable even Canadian is more usable in Cuba I was talking with the maid when I was there and was told they prefer convertible peso (you can get them at the hotel or airport) I was told they have a 20 percent tax when anyone uses US dollars which is why they don't like them for tips.

My in sightly perspective :

smc ,

I admire your initiative but please allow me to shed some light on a couple of perspectives you might not have thought of. First of all I am somewhat of a Philanthropist myself. I live in a small Rural Southwest Texas city of about 45,000 people. All of which are primarily Mexican since the city sits right on the border of Mexico. My wife and I are a middle class family and are by no means of origin of "Money". My wife is an RN and I am now a stay at Father since the birth of my daughter 5 months ago. I work part time as a cook and donate every penny I make to various charitable events that I initiated a couple years ago. I use my modest earnings as a way to jump the start event and get the community involved.

I participate in such things as Christmas Tree drives and Toy drives during the Holidays. Electric Fan drives and Bottled water drives during the warmer months. And Back to school drives for needy families to be able to acquire back packs and school supplies for the upcoming school year.

If I had more money I would certainly do more for my community. But I do what I can with a big heart.

I humbly ask that you seek out another great idea to be helpful during your Holiday in Cuba. Here is why :

First of all, you want to collect High end replicas to give away in Cuba? Interesting Idea but you're in for a load of trouble. Here is why.

Do you actually think Cuban customs is just going to allow you to waltz into their 3rd world country with a handful of seemingly over a $100,000 dollars worth of watches and you'll be on your merry little way? You'll be lucky if you even make it through the customs checkpoint unscathed.

Second , lets say you get skipped during the customs bag search and make it into the country and start handing out watches. You do know even though Fidel Castro is on his deathbed He and his government is certainly going to take notice once word gets out that a foreigner is handing out Rolex's Panerai's , Omegas , Etc...

Thirdly , lets say you give a high end watch to a seemingly nice gentleman. Who mind you, could very well be an errand boy for one of the countries "Many" drug cartels there. He's amazed by his new Foreign Santa Claus that His boss takes notice of the extremely expensive watch on his wrist. The Boss is going to wonder how in the world he acquired such a watch on his meager earnings. Guess what.......you just sentenced that man and his family to death because he's going to be accused as a thief and not even be allowed to explain. If he can even get the words out fast enough before there is a bullet in his head you my friend aren't going to make that flight back home. Fidel Castro has that country brain washed that "He" is his countries one and only savior. He will feel threatened that you're stealing his spotlight.

Lastly , I believe everyone here has helped someone out at least once in their lifetime. People love helping others but they want to see where and how their hard earned money is going to be used. People want results. Donating watches for your Holiday in which none of us will even be able to validate unless you filmed the whole ordeal of your excursion is just not appealing.

If you would like other donations given and you plan to document this trip with pictures or videos I am certainly in. I have a 6 year old boy that has out grown many of his clothes and shoes. I would be more than Happy to send them to you. Then again , your trip is in 5 days. My offerings wouldn't even make it to you on time. Simple Candy goes a very long way and especially little Chinese made Toys. I know all about Hispanic cultures and what they will appreciate. My wife is Hispanic and I have been amongst Hispanics all my life. They are proud , simple and thankful individuals of anything of "Use" that you may have to offer.

Once again , I commend you on your idea. Maybe think outside the box and you'll be on your way to being a Helpful and caring person.

My $.02 ,

L8terz