When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

It's not serviced unless it's Zig serviced

TK471

You guys may find this interesting. I recently purchased a 250 that I was told had been "serviced." I had no reason to doubt it. The movement was a bit slow, but generally worked ok. Every now and then there'd be some massive hiccup, though. One day would be minutes and minutes off. It was strange. Chalked it up to lack of wear -- if it sat, it didn't keep good time. If it was worn, it did ok. WRONG!

Get a load of what Zig had to do to get this movement working properly.

"Movement completely disassembled.  Various problems noted

Pallet fork end was bent up, straightened out

Pallet stones were loose and the exit stone was not adjusted correctly, the escape wheel was dropping on the impluse face instead of the locking face.  Exit pallet stone adjusted correctly.  Both stones cleaned of defective shellac, new shellac melted on stones, secure now and adjusted correctly.

Movement was dry with very little lubrication anywhere.

Center seconds hand tube was defective, the tube pulled off and separated from hand when removed.  New tube fabricated and riveted to hand, re-installed."

Unbelievable. It just goes to show again how much time and attention he spends on these things. It's now ready for years of trouble-free operation.

Zigmeister is a very good watch smith indeed. There are more good watch smith who are 'old skool' and have a ton of experience. But there are not many good ones. There are a lot of 'so so' watch smiths.

And also experience with Asian 7750 is also a must, because they have their own problems. So I would never have a replica serviced or worked on by watch smith who do not have a lot of experience with A7750 movements. Period. Whenever they did not have the experience with that, I politely thanked them and moved on.

And Zig belongs to the top. Outstanding work. There are not many people who are great at modding and reluming and as well being a great watch smith as well.

I thought Zig was backed up and was not taking on new customers? :g:...or am I thinking of some other watch guy?

Rob's availability changes over the year. Yes .. sometimes he is jammed up. Other times he takes new people. The only way to find out is to ask him.