When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

78360 Oyster Bracelets

vlydog

Correct; Fliplock would be the kind of clasp on the 93150 and the sort... With the flip over lock...

Not 100% correct....as I mentioned, I have a GEN 1675 with oyster bracelet....my old man purchased it brand new in 1976 from the Mayor's Jeweler AD in Miami.....it came with a 78360 oyster bracelet and 580 end links....and non-fliplock clasp....exactly like this

415558837_o.jpg

Not 100% correct....as I mentioned, I have a GEN 1675 with oyster bracelet....my old man purchased it brand new in 1976 from the Mayor's Jeweler AD in Miami.....it came with a 78360 oyster bracelet and 580 end links....and non-fliplock clasp....exactly like this

No- My response to vlydog is correct. The Fliplock is the classic Diver's clasp- Little flip latch that locks over the closed clasp and diver's extension, hence why I stated that a Fliplock is the kind of clasp pictured and a 78360 is thus not a Fliplock.

Got it........yes....also, I would further verify when purchasing a GEN that the "78360" stamping you should see it on the two lug links and on the inside of the clasp.....and recently I understand the some of the Vietnamese sellers of these bracelets are grinding down the stamping on the endlinks and restamping with "580"

But also notice that another GEN tell is the last link...the small crimped link that inserts into to the endlink....it is crimped.....the REP bracelet will have a solid flat link, like the other links.

anyhow...."78360" should appear on two solid links and on the inside clasp...underneath the "STEELINOX" stamping...like this example....also, this is a non-fliplock clasp

415558844_o.jpg?nc=424

Edited by btocamelo

But also notice that another GEN tell is the last link...the small crimped link that inserts into to the endlink....it is crimped.....the REP bracelet will have a solid flat link, like the other links.

Not necessarily.

This is a rep 93150 bracelet that I had sitting in the parts box. This one has a crimped final link going into the end link.

IMG_4870.jpg

And compared to my gen 78360...

IMG_2534.jpg

Ha....that's great, another reason I have stopped myself from buying a supposed "GEN" 78360 bracelet on Ebay.....

UBi.....if you look at both GEN and REP final links from the side....are they both similar.....the GEN final link being a crimped hollow link....possibly the final link on the REP is differently formed?

You are correct- The profile of the final link is definitely different. The gen has a rounded end whereas the rep on this one has a flat top which meets at a point and then transitions into a sort of hump to accomodate the springbar.

However, I should also note that the shape of the last mid link is not necessarily a good indication of rep or gen either, as I've seen reps with rounded ends as well.

Typically from my experience, the rep bracelets rarely have as nice or as noticable of a taper in shape/width as the links transition towards the clasp.

I don't think I have that rep bracelet any longer (I may have given it away), but I'll check. If I do, I'll do a photo comparison between rep and gen.

78360's can be purchased relatively cheaply (around $400 - I guess not too cheap) from Rolex ADs. But that is for a brand new one. Bring in your Rolex and Band, they will verify authenticity, order you a new one, and install it for you. They won't let you take the new bracelet un-mounted and I am unsure if they will let you keep your old one...

maybe if I take them in the 1675 with the GEN 78360 and some REP 555b endlinks, they will install a whole new GEN 78360 with 580 endlinks?...if they say the endlinks are not GEN, I'll act ignorant and blame it on some 3rd party service guys must have switched the ELs.

think this would work...do I need to bring in the whole watch or just the bracelet?

78360's can be purchased relatively cheaply (around $400 - I guess not too cheap) from Rolex ADs. But that is for a brand new one. Bring in your Rolex and Band, they will verify authenticity, order you a new one, and install it for you. They won't let you take the new bracelet un-mounted and I am unsure if they will let you keep your old one...

Edited by btocamelo

just to be sure...the Rolex AD's are >only< the ones listed on Rolex's website?...I know they pulled their parts account status from 3rd party watch repair shops...so only AD's and service centers can source parts?

My local AD will be glad to order any bracelet you want, no questions asked. Call around.

I do have one AD that is super anal about parts. They have an authorized service guy on site, and pretty much all parts orders go through him. I got a set of end links out of him once, but he was incredibly difficult to convince and very uncomfortable handing them over without seeing the watch. Then another well-known jewelry store who is also an AD, but without on-site service, was willing to take my money for just about anything. All transactions went through the regular sales floor associates there.

Your AD's are a lot nicer than mine :)

My guy wanted me to bring it down and leave the watch with him while he ordered the parts, I had to beg to let me bring the watch home with me...

I believe that the attitude of the AD's is as variable as the attitudes of the folks who work in the respective stores. If you have someone who is a good sales person and they are interested in fostering good will and future sales, they will probably be more likely to work with you on a part such as a bracelet or end links. Another thing that is important is your relationship with the store and/or the sales person. I would bet that if you are a customer who comes in and buys a genuine watch or two, jewelry for your wife, etc. and they know you, it will likely go much smoother when you ask them to sell you a part. After all the AD wants to sell you the new bracelet. he probably has a pretty big markup on it and every sale counts in todays economy. On the other hand he doesn't want to jepordize his Rolex account either. If he has never seen you before, and you blow in and want a 93150 w/585 endlinks for your "1665", which you "Forgot " to bring in with you, how does he know that you aren't a "Secret Shopper" sent in by Rolex, just to check out his sales policies. We used to have an AD here in our small town, and the owner was a friend of mine, and she would do just about anything to accomodate a customer. unfortunately, our slumping economy back in the late 1980's got her store.When out economy was humming, she sold lots of Rolex watches. Her best seller, 18k Day Date!! Every Oilman in the area wanted one, it was one of their primo status symbols.I wish all the time that she was back in business, it sure would be nice to have an accomodating AD right in your own backyard.

are you sure 400 is an accurate price?

with or without a trade?

Same here in Germany with different ADs behaving completely different.

Some were not willing to sell parts without sending the watch to Rolex for verification and Wempe (biggest jewelry / watch dealer chain here) is displaying bracelets with price tag in the shop windows and of course is willing to sell them.