When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

3717 removal question

josh_w

So I decided to just go with the cartel 3717 instead of a heavily modded one. Because of that I'm getting the 01 an the 09 St. Exupery as well. Now in the future I want to do chief's AR. Can the 3717 crystal be removed without taking out the movement from the front? Or do you have to press through the case? And if you remove your crystal to send it off for many weeks, what do you do with your crystalless watch?

-Josh

Very close IMO ... Personally, I think judging AR (just like anything that's visual in nature) is a bit subjective. Everyone has a different opinion on quality and color. IMO if you have the wherewithal and patience to go with Chief, I would still rate his a little better based on some of the amazing pictures I have seen on the various forums of his work, especially on 3717 crystals.

Edit ... I see Ubi beat me to the post ... damn that watch ... it's all his fault for sending me down the path I am on ... :)

Having said that, I have a Taka installed on mine because the timing didn't work to go to Chief at the time I was getting Vac to re-lume the dial and hands. I am quite happy with it and doubt I will change it out at this point.

On the wrist:

3717_wrist_new_1.jpg

Under a direct spotlight with no filter:

3717_taka_1.jpg

I just was offering up a path for you to be able to keep your watches in the rotation while shipping crystals to Chief. Nice thing with Taka's crystal is that it is already done (when he has them in stock), so you don't have to be without your watch in the interim. Assuming you don't harm it while it's installed, you should be able to get most of your money back when you sell it.

The other thing you could do, since you are ordering two watches, is to ask the dealer you are getting them from if they can get you an extra crystal. Some dealers will sell parts. You can then do the rotation bit the same way.

Edited by tomhorn

• 2 weeks later...