When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

THIS is what you can do with BKs new TW sub

chefcook

Let me break it down for you guys regarding crystal thickness, height above the insert, challenges of this and gen style sub (wm9 v1, v2, v3, MBK/MBW/Euromariner). Facts:

1. Gen crystal thickness is ~1.8mm, at the least for the Z, M, V serials and possibly the many later serials

2. Gen crystal gasket is 2.7mm.

3. Rep/aftermarket crystal thickness is ~2.0mm (except Krysworks' which has ~1.8mm thickness but it's crap in almost all aspects of it). This includes wm9, TW sub, the old MBK/MBW/Euromariner, Clark crystal.

4. Gen crystal height above the insert is not supposed to be a lot. It's an misunderstanding/myth that crystal should be tall above the insert. The best, closest to gen look is really just a little. Here's a gen pic:

2005-6Dserialsub05.jpg

Can you achieve the right look with 2.0mm crystal? Answer is yes. The height is relatively to the insert right? Let's look at the following combos:

1. 2.0mm crystal, gen insert: gen insert has a flatter cone. So against gen insert, the crystal naturally looks overly high. Best result is from using 2.5mm gasket. 2.5mm probably gets the crystal to sit the lowest. 2.3mm won't get it lower so just go with 2.5mm. If you use 2.7mm gasket, I guarantee your crystal looks too high above the gen insert

2. 2.0mm crystal, wm9 insert: wm9 insert has just a little more cone than gen so pretty much same as 1

3. 2.0mm crystal, JO insert: JO insert is quite similiar to gen in terms the cone so also pretty much same as 1

4. 2.0mm crystal, TW sub insert: here's an interesting combo and the ingenuity of the TW sub factory which I don't know if it's by design, LOL. The TW sub insert's cone has more slope than gen and other insert. So with its factory supplied 2.7mm, the crystal doesn't look too high above the insert. It turns out to be the best height I've seen on a rep, pretty perfect to gen. I'm not kidding and I'm not trying to twist a fact to sell anything. I'm truly truly happy with the combo.

When I have time, I'll take closeup pics of the TW sub crystal. It practically looks identical to gen with its like-gen rounded edge and high cyclop mag. Even the etched crown is still conspicuous, I will use it instead of Clark. It's the best part of the TW sub. I'm serious.

So "NO, swapping in C2 (2.7mm) gasket is not required". It's already there by default. Don't swap in a 2.9mm gasket to increase the crystal height. You can buy them even though Rolex's C2 is 2.7mm, not 2.9mm. Another bad thing about using overly tall gasket is you are sticking the crystal above the retaining ring which yields weaker water resistance.

Lastly, reps are reps. Practically every bezel assembly is different. For example, you can't always press down the retaining ring to the case thinking it looks good with the bezel tight to the case. The bezel might not turn if you don't leave a small gap; often you need to shave the inner side of the back of the insert otherwise the insert either won't go in the bezel bay or it hinders the turning of the bezel. I have lot of stories and frustration to tell

bk

Edited by bklm1234

• 4 weeks later...

Totally agree, the endlinks make this watch superior to a 1 mm difference in the crown position when veiwed from a side profile.

And of all gen owners I know, none would know the difference in the crown position.

chef, how did you seperate the endlinks from the rest of the bracelet?

I agree with CHT. I have been wearing a modded MBK for almost three years. People have commented on the watch but no one has ever asked me to take it off and hand it to them. How gauche would that be. 999 people out of 1,000 do not care.