When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Help Me...omega Gmt Or Yachtmaster

Bearcat

I have both the Seamaster GMT and the YM, although the YM is about 18 months old, so a different generation and has the flaws current at the time.

If you only have one watch, it would be the Seamaster all the way. No comparison because it is the most versatile in different circumstances and is simply the superior watch.

If you really want to supplement an existing collection with something more dressy, then the YM might be the way to go -- a bit blingy for some dressy situations, perhaps, but definitely an elegant statement.

I prefer wearing my YM in "sport-dressy" occasions such as going out to dinner, etc. If it's a more serious dress-up situation, then I would probably recommend something a bit more understated such as a Patek or VC.

For a recent two-week trip to England I took my Seamaster for every day wear, and a VC Overseas for my brother's wedding and a few other suit and tie occasions.

I also have both and am a big Omega fan. Unfortunately, the GMT dial leaves something to be desired. The lume is strikingly green. People at work call it my "green watch." I've seen and worn the genuine and the lume is almost snowy white. I've been looking for a genuine dial replacement - hands too. Also, the GMT hand is touchy. I have to put the stem in "neutral park" to get it to track correctly. This involves resetting the date each time the GMT hand is manually moved. Even then, the GMT hand starts to lose time over a period of days. People have mentioned drag problems and potential glue fixes, but that's not something I would attempt on my own.

Toddy is correct about the innacuracy of the white GMT. (I admit that I didn't actually follow your links and was assuming you were potentially interested in the blue SMP GMT, which is what I have.)

The gen white Seamaster GMT is a gorgeous creamy white on white, ad the greenish lume on the rep wouold keep me from buying this rep.

So the YM might be your preferred option.

I have both the Seamaster GMT and the YM, although the YM is about 18 months old, so a different generation and has the flaws current at the time.

If you only have one watch, it would be the Seamaster all the way. No comparison because it is the most versatile in different circumstances and is simply the superior watch.

If you really want to supplement an existing collection with something more dressy, then the YM might be the way to go -- a bit blingy for some dressy situations, perhaps, but definitely an elegant statement.

I prefer wearing my YM in "sport-dressy" occasions such as going out to dinner, etc. If it's a more serious dress-up situation, then I would probably recommend something a bit more understated such as a Patek or VC.

For a recent two-week trip to England I took my Seamaster for every day wear, and a VC Overseas for my brother's wedding and a few other suit and tie occasions.

That's exactly what I am looking for....something for those "sport dressy" situations. Looks like the YM is going to win this one. And it seems Eddie Lee has the best one? Never ordered from him before. I have had excellent service with Andrew at trustytime. I am waiting and waiting on an order from TTK...although he has communicated with me very well. So I may try EL for this one.

Thanks to all who commented.

--Bearcat

I had a good look at the gen Yachtmaster in my local AD, and really I couldn't notice the shimmer..

It could have been the lighting, but I think the "shimmer" effect has been over-reported.

Perhaps my local AD is selling reps :3a:

The bezel looks much better, but the dial (compated to my EL version) looks ok, apart from the missing markers under the "swiss made".

Ubi's dial project might cover this aspect, as otherwise the EL is close to the gen.

I had a good look at the gen Yachtmaster in my local AD, and really I couldn't notice the shimmer..

It could have been the lighting, but I think the "shimmer" effect has been over-reported.

Perhaps my local AD is selling reps :3a:

The bezel looks much better, but the dial (compated to my EL version) looks ok, apart from the missing markers under the "swiss made".

Ubi's dial project might cover this aspect, as otherwise the EL is close to the gen.

If Ubi can get an accurate dial, that would be the best rep ever. I love the YM.