When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

All Tooled Up and Ready To Go - 5513 Tool Watch

Mapman57

I picked this old school slim cased 5513 on a folded rivet recently, for a bargain deal and I like it so much I decided to start a project and do some stuff to it......never had a battered tool watch before and never expected to like it after the original shock!!! It will evolve into something very aged but less 'battered' in appearance :)

Theres still lots to do here and all comments/suggestions are welcome.;)

Story so far is ;

- Crown swap

- Some gentle CG reshaping work

- Lug holes drilled for gen bars (but not fitted here)

- Aged and polished, aged and battered again.....ha ha ha (originally this was even more battered!)

- plexi battered and then polished back - but still old and bad - loving it!

- Insert bleached and recessed a little but not glued down here!

Planned next steps

- dial swap for a 4 liner 5512 that I have

- insert swap to an aged vintage style - less battered

- perhaps a little more off the inside of the CG's?

- shaping to case lugs to round and soften a little - add soft bevels to case to remove sharp edges, as per gen 1960's 5512 case set

- fit gen spring bars

- hopefully waterproof to 7ATM

Some point and shoot pics - please chime in guys

SDC13935.jpg

SDC13957.jpg

SDC13956.jpg

SDC13952.jpg

SDC13950.jpg

SDC13948.jpg

SDC13947.jpg

SDC13944.jpg

SDC13942.jpg

SDC13938.jpg

SDC13937.jpg

SDC13935.jpg

and the wristies....

SDC13934.jpg

SDC13933.jpg

SDC13931.jpg

SDC13928.jpg

SDC13926.jpg

SDC13925.jpg

SDC13922.jpg

Hope to hear from you...........:munch:

Does anyone have a recommended supplier for a new insert for this project - dont want to put too many $ into it?

Or, even better does anyone have one in the box that they would like to sell???? Can be used and marked - obviously!!!

Thing is this case set and bezel are sized for a modern saphire crystal? So the insert is full size 16610 and not the typical 5513/1680 Sub smaller size, such as on a PT vintage model. I got some of them but they do not fit!

Is there a source for an insert without the large modern Sub pearl? Please PM me if you have anything. :drinks:

• 3 weeks later...

OK guys so I finally found an insert that would fit....courtesy of a much respected member - thanks ;):D

I have needed to shave the back and open the inside diameter a little. So before I age it with a 'bleach' treatment, what do you think of it shiny and black? It appears to be the same factory fit insert that is seen battered on the earlier pics? The pearl is not great, but I can always pop that and fit a replacement?

The insert is not fixed yet - it does seat down nicely recessed into the ring.

I think it needs to be aged a little and faded ....ALSO does anyone know how to colour the pearl to match the patina of the dial.....opinions please? :)

SDC14250.jpg

SDC14252.jpg

SDC14251.jpg

SDC14253.jpg

SDC14254.jpg

SDC14255.jpg

:munch:

The CGs looks great as-is, but I would lose the bracelet (looks fake from a mile away). The new insert looks better, but you need a better pearl (see if Ofrei's illumines dot will fit your insert). I would also replace the dial (which you said you were doing anyway), hands (try Clarks on ebay) & polish the case a bit (it should not look like it was sanded, even if it was). Nanuq has a great vintagizing scheme - he places the polished case (without movement) into a can full of coins (I would add some screws/bolts to the mix) & then shakes it until the desired surface effect is achieved.

Overall, other than the bracelet, a good beginning. :good:

Many thanks Freddy. I popped out the pearl (very poor!), shaved the insert to recess it and bleached it for 5mins to make it matt and a fraction less black. I think I will bleach some more to go a little more 'grey'. Got a new acrylic pearl lined up. I will be polishing that case next and keep the thread updated :thumbsupsmileyanim:

SDC14304.jpg

SDC14305.jpg

SDC14306.jpg

:drinks:

A little progress report............

I have sanded it to recess; bleached, sanded and polished to get that aged blue/grey faded look................had to pop the 'orrible pearl!

How it looks now....

SDC14337.jpg

How the insert looked originally 'after the bike crash'.....

SDC14338.jpg

and next to my 1680.......

SDC14334.jpg

:munch: