When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Starting an AP ROO franken

thewax

So, I'm new to this, and I'm sure that will show. Nonetheless, I'm getting started on an AP ROO franken project. I'm going to take my time so that I get most things right on the first go-around. Here is my current status and future plans:

On its way:

Genuine LWO 283 movement

Plan to buy:

Gen dial/tachy

Gen hands

I don't know which rep to buy for the case. Secs@12 or secs@9. I hear they both have their +/-s, but some affirmative direction would be really helpful.

I'm not planning to do the mod work personally. My plan is to find a reputable watchmaker in my area, or send the parts to someone on RWG (recommendations welcome).

Hopefully, I'm on the right track. Honest truth always appreciated (I want to know what I've got myself into :bangin: )

These projects can take a lot of time to source parts, sometimes you get lucky and if you budget is high enough very lucky.

My RO 36mm project is a year in, and I m happy to wait I only need a Gen 2225 mov't( only :) ).

Good luck, seen lots of dials on the bay, not so many hands.

Congrats on your near completion!

I've also seen quite a few dials on ebay, but all seem expensive. I hope to catch one at a lower pricepoint.

These projects can take a lot of time to source parts, sometimes you get lucky and if you budget is high enough very lucky.

My RO 36mm project is a year in, and I m happy to wait I only need a Gen 2225 mov't( only :) ).

Good luck, seen lots of dials on the bay, not so many hands.

I am in the same boat, but have more pieces done ;) in any case if you find someone to do it tell me,... the few I know are to expensive for a REP... and the other doesn´t take more orders by now...

good luck...ah, and if you have a source for GEN hands tell me please, for me it is imposible to find :(

How far along are you? What selections have you made?

I am in the same boat, but have more pieces done ;) in any case if you find someone to do it tell me,... the few I know are to expensive for a REP... and the other doesn´t take more orders by now...

good luck...ah, and if you have a source for GEN hands tell me please, for me it is imposible to find :(

<br />I have been looking for a LWO movement for quite sometime now<br />

Can you please tell me where u got from? Or PM/tell me who ur source is?<br />

Thanks,<br />

<br /><br /><br />

There is someone on this forum selling some movements. Check the parts sales threads.

<br /><br /><br />

There is someone on this forum selling some movements. Check the parts sales threads.

Yes, this is correct. Look under the 'Tools and Parts' section of the forum.

No comparison, go for the secs@12 case set, the secs@9 version is not even worth your consideration ;)

Thanks, that's the way I'm leaning right now.

Yes, this is correct. Look under the 'Tools and Parts' section of the forum.

Thanks, that's the way I'm leaning right now.

case preference is debatable. The MBW versions are thinner like the gen but you dont have removable bezel screws.

gen dials can be had easy for 600 on the bay....still a lot money.

Edited by bosk

case preference is debatable. The MBW versions are thinner like the gen but you dont have removable bezel screws.

Not really, you just have to slightly trim and reshape the case back on the secs@12 version, the secs@9 is not constructed like the gen, it's a serious no brainier :p

So, in The Zigmeister's glossary, MBW is referred to as, "a direct copy of a genuine Rolex". I see the term used outside Rolex discussion though. Can someone please explain the meaning? :g:

MBW Rolex cases are a world apart from the AP ones ;)

The MBW secs@9 case is not constructed like the gen, the secs@12 is. OK the secs@12 case back is a little too thick, but is fixable, the MBW case set not being constructed like the gen, is not.....

The bezel screws/bolts on the MBW are just for show, on the secs@12 the bezel screws/bolts go right through the case and secure the case back, just like the gen :)

The MBW case construction is not as good as the sec@12. Both have the incorrect thickness to case mods will be needed, regardless.

It's been more than 1 year since I've seen any ROO dial on ebay for less than $1,000. They are running for about $1.5K now.

MBW Rolex cases are a world apart from the AP ones ;)

The MBW secs@9 case is not constructed like the gen, the secs@12 is. OK the secs@12 case back is a little too thick, but is fixable, the MBW case set not being constructed like the gen, is not.....

The bezel screws/bolts on the MBW are just for show, on the secs@12 the bezel screws/bolts go right through the case and secure the case back, just like the gen :)

The MBW case construction is not as good as the sec@12. Both have the incorrect thickness to case mods will be needed, regardless.

It's been more than 1 year since I've seen any ROO dial on ebay for less than $1,000. They are running for about $1.5K now.

I think I've decided on the secs@12 case. I really like the White themes ROO with SS bracelet. Does anyone advise against this rep? The franken process will take some time, so she's going to be a straight rep for some of her life. I've read that the lume bakes on the Whites themes. Also, I'm planning on placing the order with Joshua, unless I hear otherwise.

Is there any modders out there that would shave the case back? I think I have only seen sander do this.

Also what about molding the pushers, does the MBW have rounded pushers or are they squared also? Changing the pushers would seem easy if correct pushers are around.

I didn't know there was a problem with the pushers. On the case back it is a nice mod but IMHO is not a major improvement - still too thick. IMHO, it is as simple as seconds at nine with rep inner bezel, wrong construction but better aesthetically (a lot) or seconds at 12 with gen tachy bezel but everything else worse.