When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Josh's 'New' 1680

marcl

I just wanted to ask all the vintage experts out there what they think of the new version of Josh's 1680?

I have not seen many people talk about it, apart from tonyp1 who has just got his. Looking at josh's discription and from what I understand it has a better 'same as genuine' bezel/crystal construction. No pastic retaining ring! It has an updated dial and apart from the large crown looks to be a very accurate rep.

But thats just my opinion and I'm no expert.

So the question is, if The experts here would be so kind to answer before I get one. Is this as good as it looks? Or am I missing something?

Kindest regards. Marc.

If I were to get one, it would be this one,

http://www.1-pc8838.com/rlsv01017-vintage-1680-white-subalternative-swiss-2846-p-8533.html

I'd plan on spending $75-100 to service the 2846, put a gen crown on it and trim the cg's and then beat the you know what out of it.

That's the old version. do you think it's more accurate than this? http://www.1-pc8838.com/rlsv01104-vintage-1680-white-asia-2813-28800-best-p-9665.html This is the newer one.

Also the new one is supose to take gen parts (not sure how accurate that claim is though)and no longer has the plastic ring.

Kindest regardss, Marc.

I recently received a (2nd) 1680 from Josh, this time the 21J. No plastic ring and it takes a clark 127 just fine unlike the PT where it needs a plastic ring and the crystal fits too tightly over the case. Also, the tube takes a gen 703 crown.

I just wish Josh's 1680 had better and meatier crown guards.

I recently received a (2nd) 1680 from Josh, this time the 21J. No plastic ring and it takes a clark 127 just fine unlike the PT where it needs a plastic ring and the crystal fits too tightly over the case. Also, the tube takes a gen 703 crown.

I just wish Josh's 1680 had better and meatier crown guards.

Yep the crown guards are a little small, but they do seem to vary from pic to pic. I also think the oversized crown makes them look smaller. Might not be so bad with a gen crown.

Do you have any pics of your second 1680 from Josh? And what do you think of it, any other flaws as such?

Kindest regards, Marc.

i just received my new one from josh - the braclet is crap - i have to replace it which is annoying

What's wrong with it? they seem ok from the pics I have seen on here.

Always seems one step foward, two back in the rep game. Frustrating! I really want to get a 1680 but when I emailed Josh, maybe 6 months ago, he said don't bother yet, there is a better version coming out soon. Now it's out the crown guards are tiny and the bracelet is crap. :bangin:

Kindest regards. Marc.

on mine - the screw thread was bent connecting it to the clasp so I cant just replace the link

if it were 90% of other screws, it would have been ok

just annoying -yours could be fine

Sorry to hear that. Is the overall look and quality good?

Kind regards, Marc.

• 1 month later...

Hi Marc, what's the progress with this project? Did you get the 1680 from Josh?

Asking, because I am also interested in it. I would like the red

1680 more, but I guess the red writing on the dial is too dark.

Cheers,'J

Hi J,

Jesus talk about timing! Just arrived yesterday. I ordered a 1680 and a 5513 from Josh, both cheap a21 movements. They are very nice but they do need some mods.

First of all I will tell you that they are high beat movements I guess that makes them 4813's. Now I have never had one one these only ETA's but I am super impressed, they are smooth, wind well and tick nice and quiet.

second the bracelet does feel a little cheap compared to the noobmariner, but I guess it was like this on the gen, so soften the edges, oil it (I use olive oil)and it feels great!

I have already painted the hour markers because they do look a little to yellow and to uniform, Now they look amazing! but no lume as I used water based paint simple as that, but it does look great.

The biggest problem with this watch is the crown guards, but now I have the watch all I can say is, trust me, they are not as bad as they look in pictures. However I will be modding the outsides of the CG's and shortening the crown, Then they should look perfect.

As I am typing this I have just taken some pictures for you, they won't win any awards, but just to show you the new colour of the dial.

Kindest regards, Marc.

P.S. sorry about the dust on the pics.

post-15401-0-03278800-1299316468.jpg

post-15401-0-42400800-1299316581.jpg

post-15401-0-19523300-1299316634.jpg

post-15401-0-77305100-1299316687.jpg

Hi Marc,

can you post some pics of the datewheel ?

is it white - centred ?

thx

Frank

Hold fire Frank,

Just getting some for you now.

I think it lines up fine but the mag is so strong that its hard to tell.

Kind regards, Marc.

I am just dying for some 1680 pics... :rolleyes:

How many more do you want? ;)

That's all I've got to be honest, only got the watches yesterday already painted the dials. Will work on the crown guards and crown next week and get some more picture for you all.

I am planning to mod this watch for no cost whatsoever. And I'm sure I can. I think the crystal needs re shaping (on the 5512) that should be easy. Then soften the case a little and the bracelet and we're good to go.

And just to think I was always afraid to mod my watches in case I did something stupid.

Kindest regards, Marc.

Overall the watch looks OK. Only real standout irs the short CG's. I'm afraid that even with a genuine crown, they are going to look really short. possibly when you take some metal off the sides and thin them down, they will appear to be longer. You know" slim women look taller, fat women look shorter" :whistling: Got to lose that big ugly crown though. Where in the world did those guys come up with that monster? From the website propoganda they are supposed to be a undissected 1:1 replication of a genuine 1680. the replicator must have missed the crown!

Overall the watch looks OK. Only real standout irs the short CG's. I'm afraid that even with a genuine crown, they are going to look really short. possibly when you take some metal off the sides and thin them down, they will appear to be longer. You know" slim women look taller, fat women look shorter" :whistling: Got to lose that big ugly crown though. Where in the world did those guys come up with that monster? From the website propoganda they are supposed to be a undissected 1:1 replication of a genuine 1680. the replicator must have missed the crown!

Yeah the CG's are a bit small, but they are better in person than in photo's. They are too fat and I will mod them next week and put some pics here. To be honest they actually look a lot like the new C sub crown guards, they do need making more pointy.

To answer your question with regards to the replicator, I would say that the watch makers probably have got it 1:1 or something very close, but they just don't bother with the crown. It looks almost identical to my noobmariner crown. I am planning to shorten it though, we'll have to see how that goes.

Kind regards, Marc.