When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Anyone ever tried those working tourbillon reps?

kramerica2

I was looking at some working tourbillon reps, espicially reps of VC, JLC or A. Lange Sohne. I don't really care about accuracy for those, it's not like I'm going to bump into someone that would be able to spot the rep, I just love that design.

However, those reps aren't cheap. They start at 500$ and can go upto 1200$ in extreme cases, and I never saw them mentioned around here.

Has anyone ever bought one of these? Is the movement reliable at all? Is there any visual (not functional) difference between them and a faux but moving tourbillon?

Would appreciate any input on the subject.

Those reps are never going to be 1:1 to the genuine. And besides that, it would be quite difficult to pass it off as genuine considering the value of the gen.

And reps will always be reps, meaning quality control lacks and also the quality of the watch itself is not always superb. For the money of 500usd and above for a tourbillon, I would rather recommend to get a non-rep tourbillon watch. Those are far better value for the money and look awesome as well.

I've just seen some videos of those movements. It's very very cool, I just wish that there was a tourbi rep out there that isn't totally fantasy...

I think most of the tourby movements are stock so I don't know how 1:1 you would get the movement. That being said, if you look at the number of people that know enough about watches as being like 1 in 100,000, those that would know a tourbillon would be a small fraction of that already small number. That being said, could you expect to pull off a $80,000+ watch? Not you personally, though if you're not mentioned somewhere in fortune magazine, most of us could not claim to own the genuine article.

M.

If I'll ever see the need to pass it off as a gen, trust me, I could pull it off. I won more than one bet with my friends about pulling off things much harder than that. Can't explain exactly, I just have the look of someone out of Fortune magazine. If I had 1K$ for every time I heard that, I would probably be there by now....

Having said that, I'm not looking for 1:1 (there aren't any true 1:1 reps anyway), but I'm looking for a tourbi rep that would be a copy of a tourbi gen. The closest I found was an AP. There are many visible differences, but at least you can see they tried to copy a tourbi, and didn't just add a tourbi to a non-tourbi design.

Now I have to decide if it's worth the 700$....