When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Trapped in watchworld

Chilenito

So, I came here to look for an IWC everyday rep to go along with my gen IWCs.

During the hunt I stumbled over many a watch and was more like "meeeh, ugly as f***" and went on to IWC ... as always, during the time I spent here and on rep shop sites, went deeper into watchcountry and fell in love with other watches ... Bell & Ross has been way to ostentatious for my liking ... till I ordered one ;) Panerai always was a no-go brand for me ... I fear it won't be for long ... I will hate myself for the day when I begin to start looking at Rolexes and beginning to like them ;)

Don't tell me there's no medicine for that? :unsure:

Edited by Chilenito

I didn't care much about watches up to 2-3 years ago. When I finally decided to get a watch, I was going to get a Citizen or a Seiko for ~200$, but then figured why not pay less and get a simple rep... I got a cheap POrikaa for 100$.

At that time, I thought: "Hey, I just saved 100$ and got a better watch...". Obviously, I couldn't be more wrong than that. I got sucked into this world, and since than bought watches for more than 4K$...

You'll learn a lot here not only about watches but also what you like and dislike about all of them, It's not the destination here at RWG but the journey. It's a really fun (and expensive) hobby. But if you are careful and patient and knowledgeable about what you want and what to look for you should do alright. I think I've sold more watches that i currently own :whistling::victory:. Have fun...

seafoam

Thanks for all your supportive words. I come from a family with long watch heritage: There is and was a watch wherever you go in our houses, from old antique cocoo clock my grandmother saved during the war, to old pocket watches on a wrist, to Pateks and IWCs that get handed down to younger generations. I'm awfully ashamed having to go shopping for reps, but at the moment (young, just started after graduating with an M.A., first years on the job) there ust aint the extra bug for a 4 to 5 digit watch collection.

Though I own a variety of gen watches (IWC, Omega, Patek, etc) I don't wear them on a daily basis as there's to much family heritage and history attached, so when I know the days will be rough I prefer wearing a 'neutral', replaceable rep instead.

I stumbled across reps as early as january this year, and as of yet I gathered a staggering amount of knowledge on watches, dials, movement, reps, watchmaking, etc ... If I just would go and get a real one from an AD, I'd wear it and would know actualy nothing about it ... so, I've learned more than I could ever imagine, and will prefer an honest, rep wearing guy with knowledge on the ins and outs of what exactly he's wearing over a fat bloke with a real gold rolex just to show off hands down!

Thanks folks!

A guy that appreciates the steepness of the learning curve :)

Thanks for all your supportive words. I come from a family with long watch heritage: There is and was a watch wherever you go in our houses, from old antique cocoo clock my grandmother saved during the war, to old pocket watches on a wrist, to Pateks and IWCs that get handed down to younger generations. I'm awfully ashamed having to go shopping for reps, but at the moment (young, just started after graduating with an M.A., first years on the job) there ust aint the extra bug for a 4 to 5 digit watch collection.

Though I own a variety of gen watches (IWC, Omega, Patek, etc) I don't wear them on a daily basis as there's to much family heritage and history attached, so when I know the days will be rough I prefer wearing a 'neutral', replaceable rep instead.

I stumbled across reps as early as january this year, and as of yet I gathered a staggering amount of knowledge on watches, dials, movement, reps, watchmaking, etc ... If I just would go and get a real one from an AD, I'd wear it and would know actualy nothing about it ... so, I've learned more than I could ever imagine, and will prefer an honest, rep wearing guy with knowledge on the ins and outs of what exactly he's wearing over a fat bloke with a real gold rolex just to show off hands down!

Thanks folks!

A guy that appreciates the steepness of the learning curve :)

It sounds to me like you are going to be around here a while,thats good to hear. If you have any questions, just ask.:)