When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Tudor Snowflake Rep

lgking

I was looking at Yuki's Tudor Snowflake's and they seem awfully expensive for a rep (or are they real ?).

Anybody else make this model...something unique about seeing those squares/blocks on the dial, and I love the implied history behind them (French Navy, etc.).

PS I know a lot of you are 'builders' and it's easy for you to reply...."hey, just build one". But I'd have better luck at brain surgery. I'm a buy-it not build-it type.

Good question about what justifies the Phong and Yuki prices compared to the standard dealer offerings. I guess it's the uniqueness and maybe quality? in their pieces and parts.

There are cheaper options to get a Snowflake - dial and hands from Yuki and a good 5513 case from one our standard dealers if you can live with the incorrect case back (no Tudor engravings) - but then of course you are entering the construction zone.. :)

You can pick up a genuine Tudor snowflake for around 2.5-3k. Tudor uses an ETA movement that is pretty readily available. You can find genuine dials on VRM and Ebay. Be careful with hands, because there are some out htere that don't look correct.Quite a few folks have built them up here on RWG. Do a little searching and look at the sales forums, as complete watches and parts have been for sale

Comparing a PT 1680 to a phong Tudor is really comparing Apples to Oranges. The 1680 is a nice watch for the money, but it has some real flaws that have to be addressed to make it correct.i.e. Crown/tube, bezel insert/pearl ,caseguard shaping, and probably a movement service as the 2846's are very old movements and most are dry and dirty.

If you're going to buy one built up, be sure to ask about the movement too... has it been serviced? How does it work?

I bought a magnificent build and just heard from Ziggy that there were screws loose, screws missing, chipped pallet exit stone, the wrong pieces installed, stuff like that.

He did a spectacular job for me and put it right, but for less money I could have thrown away the movement that came with the build, and sent a tired old 2784 for cleaning and service... and had a better movement.

Lesson learned... I didn't specifically ask about the movement when I bought it.