When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

HE question

Slan9e

I want to change the he valve on my PO with one from ofrei. I must order all the HE assembly, or just the head and tube?

Since the repcase isnt threaded i guess a watertight working HE valve is not possible ? or am i wrong?

Thank you

Edited by Slan9e

I want to change the he valve on my PO with one from ofrei. I must order all the HE assembly, or just the head and tube?

Since the repcase isnt threaded i guess a watertight working HE valve is not possible ? or am i wrong?

Thank you

The easiest way to make your watch watertight is not to have a functioning He Valve. The HE valve acts as a point of exit for pressure built up when in deep sea diving chambers (filled with helium). You open the HE valve on your ascent back to the surface so that your watch crystal doesn't explode from the pressurized helium (that can get inside your watch despite the watch being able to block air molecules). With the HE valve in the open position.. it's basically the same as opening up your crown.. and letting the pressure equalize. When screwed down the HE valve should be air and water tight.

Since 99.9% of us will never be inside a diving chamber in our lives.. and much less likely.. with a REP watch. It really makes no logical sense for you to try to gain HE valve functionality. If you want your watch to be airtight for casual diving and swimming, then I reccomend you epoxy the HE valve opening from the inside of the case. This would guarantee no chance of any water entering the watch through the HE valve. You could be assured that even with the valve open.. no water could reach the inside of your case.

If you want the gen valve, go for it. But from a purely visual standpoint. After a mod like that, I would make sure the watch was epoxied if you had even the slightest intentions of ever submersing your watch.

Just my .02cents

I will have to disagree with you on this. I have a UPO 45 bought it back in 2007, the only mods done are dial relume, gen crown, tube and the pearl, has been service twice taken up to 100 feet dive.

I will tell you this puppy is 100% waterproof. I am not sure why would you want to change the HE valve I can't even tell the difference myself. all of the reps are pretty good at keeping water unless poor assembly otherwise it should be waterproof.

my two cents

I just want to change the valve from a visual standpoint.

I dont know if i have to order the full bezel assembly(tube , head, spring etc) or just the tube and head.

And in case i have to order everything i was wondering if it could be made a working HE valve.

i think it would be better if i epoxy the valve just in case..

I will have to disagree with you on this. I have a UPO 45 bought it back in 2007, the only mods done are dial relume, gen crown, tube and the pearl, has been service twice taken up to 100 feet dive.

I will tell you this puppy is 100% waterproof. I am not sure why would you want to change the HE valve I can't even tell the difference myself. all of the reps are pretty good at keeping water unless poor assembly otherwise it should be waterproof.

my two cents

I agree with you Ciborgman.

My UPO is also waterproof.. but I also have not attempted to switch out the HE valve for Gen.

In my honest opinion it's a very unecessary mod.. but that wasn't Slan9e's question. I'm assuming Slan9e has his reasons for wanting to do this mod, and My reccomendation would be to epoxy the case. Since he's going to need epoxy anyways to swap out the HE valve he mind as well put some epoxy over the HE valve hole and seal the watch doubly :)

But, I agree with you. My watch is modded with gen crown, tube, and crystal and I can swim perfectly with it after I got it pressure tested and all seals and gaskets greased.