When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Skyland gen bezel swap: FAIL!

importr

A couple of weeks ago i bought this gen Skyland bezel with a view to replacing the one on my modded Skyland v2 rep. I felt that the v2 bezel engravings weren't as crisp as gen, and nor as crisp as the v3!

So here it is, I removed the v2 bezel and offered the gen up to the case. Externally the dimensions are the same. The case chimney is the same, but the position of the retaining clip Groove on the Rep, is higher than that of the gen - resulting in a bezel that is almost 2mm higher than it should be.

S5001244.jpg

S5001243.jpg

Then i took a v3 Skyland, removed the bezel and compared the gen:

S5001245.jpg

You can see the the gen has a wider internal diameter and thicker retaining clip than the rep

S5001246.jpg

S5001247.jpg

S5001248.jpg

S5001249.jpg

Here is the gen bezel on the v3. I would say that apart from the well known "1", the engravings are the same from the naked eye. There is no immediate difference. The v2 bezel on the other hand, is sloppy by comparison.

S5001252.jpg

The problem with the gen bezel fitted to the v3, is that the base of the v3 chimney is not wide enough, therefore it won't stay on securely, even with screws fully tightened. Click action is nice though.

To summise:

Gen bezel on v2 - a non-starter. Even if a groove was introduced to the chimney, it still needs a shoulder to stop the clip from jumping out.

Gen bezel on v3 - Fits well and operates nicely, but not secure. Some sort of machined collar is needed to replicate the internal dimensions of the gen bezel, which can then be attached to the v3 case. Then possibly, the v2 pushers can be transferred over.

A lot of effort for not that much gain. So it would seem that it is best left alone!

wow thanks for this... was contemplating a Bezel swap as well when i saw a bezel on ebay the other day...

I think we saw the same bezel! looks like it's probably not worth my trouble.

Hey importr, do you have a bezel remover?? if so, which one do you have? I hear it's absolutely necessary on breitlings, as using a case back knife to pry the bezel off only results in a lot of pain and bent metal :(

I use the AF bezel remover (as seen in last pic). It is very easy to use, and easy to remove bezels.

No need for knives or prying and damage! ;)

You just place the plastic tool around the bezel, grip as tight as possible, then turn it anticlockwise (bezel direction) and up from case; holding the watch by the straps with the other hand. Takes a few goes to get it off, but it comes off within 8 attempts

It's strange how different things bother different people. People always keep saying how "off" the Fish bezel on the reps is... but I never even noticed it. Same with the Skyland.

Things that bothered me on the rep Fish were the SELs and dial. On Skyland v2, absolutely NOTHING bothers me. It's very nicely built rep. The gen dial would be great but not absolutely necessary (unless you receive a bad one from the factory).

It's strange how different things bother different people. People always keep saying how "off" the Fish bezel on the reps is... but I never even noticed it. Same with the Skyland.

Things that bothered me on the rep Fish were the SELs and dial. On Skyland v2, absolutely NOTHING bothers me. It's very nicely built rep. The gen dial would be great but not absolutely necessary (unless you receive a bad one from the factory).

I was thinkning the same thing. Biggest annoyance about my SOSF is the rounded lume dots i have. I can't think of anything on my skyland Blacksteel. The bezel numbers on my V2 looks excellent

LOL :D

Its sounds brutal, but its not.

To replace bezel, its more delicate; you just refit the spring clip, and where the gap in the clip exists, you put that part of the bezel onto case, then slowly press along the bezel in one direction. Turning it helps too.

This technique applies to most bezels.

As for the v2 Skyland bezel engraving, maybe not so obvious from the pics, but the difference between my v2 and gen is very noticeable.

great writeup...thanks for sharing... :drinks:

actually - i don't have any issues with the Avenger(s) I have...unless someone pulls my arm up to their eyes - barely noticeable, IMO...

as for the Steelfish, the usual dial is most obvious - but i've come to know that there's at least 3 different "swiss" cases, some with similar bezels...most noticeable on the case is the crown guard "flats" and shape...but on all 3 cases, the lugs horns are far too pointy...have always wondered why no one has tried to shave/round them like all the crazed Rollie members do with their Subs...i may add this mod to my list someday...

R