When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Pictorial of a Gen 111 caseset by the new 111J and 219

PeteM

Tom,

It's not a huge deal for a $200 watch to be honest. But if you're a perfectionist, you can still have your cake and eat it too, just order 2 watches - 111J & 005K.

1) Take the crystal, dial, cg body, caseback and all screws (CG, Lug) from 005K.

2) Case them in 111J case, using 111J movement, 111J crown and 111J CG lever.

3) Enojoy your really awesome 005 and sell off the remaining parts.

You beat me to it, W!! :)

Sure for the money the watch is still nice and all. It's not like I need it to look or be 100% exact as the gen or anything. I probably wont ever take it into the pool or the ocean too. But I would really like to know that the watch isn't gonna die cause i splashed some water on it while washing hands or being outside while it's raining hard or anything.

Maybe I'll do what you guys recommend with the parts swapping and all. But seriously, how can the rep makers finally make a Pam that looks (to me) pretty awesome right out of the box and then f* up the case construction.. Why can't we have nice things? I will have to cry myself to sleep tonight.. :bangin:

Probably a stupid question, but: wouldn't it be possible to "glue" the bezel and the case together with that epoxyd stuff that one uses to glue the tubes into the cases? The crystal should still be removeable if one needs to.. Wouldn't that prevent the bezel from coming off, or having water leak in there?

edit:

@w0lf: Could you please link the thread in which you have posted your bezel info in for me? I have used the search function to go through your posts in the last 6 months but I can't find it. Was this from another board or am I blind? :huh:

No, he just needs to remember to post things in both places. :bangin:

Leave him alone. He's busy crushing dreams.

crushy5rq4.jpg

Hi W0lf, I just ordered a 005 from Sead and I wanted it to be waterproofed. I noticed on your post you pressured tested it to 5atm, how did you do it?

If you are referring to the Repgeek thread: it wasn't w0lf who pressure tested the H-factory 177/219 to 5 ATM but that Brobert dude..

Probably a stupid question, but: wouldn't it be possible to "glue" the bezel and the case together with that epoxyd stuff that one uses to glue the tubes into the cases? The crystal should still be removeable if one needs to.. Wouldn't that prevent the bezel from coming off, or having water leak in there?

I have contemplated this too after reading about the H-factory case construction.

Tom,

It's not a huge deal for a $200 watch to be honest. But if you're a perfectionist, you can still have your cake and eat it too, just order 2 watches - 111J & 005K.

1) Take the crystal, dial, cg body, caseback and all screws (CG, Lug) from 005K.

2) Case them in 111J case, using 111J movement, 111J crown and 111J CG lever.

3) Enojoy your really awesome 005 and sell off the remaining parts.

You beat me to it, W!! :)

I may take this route in the end, but I'm not sure yet.

I'm torn between trying to epoxy the H-factory case together (which should give a good water tight seal and a closer to gen appearance) and hybiding my 111J and 005 (which would give a more accurate to gen construction).

I will build the 005 with what I consider to be the best solution and build the 111 with whatever is left. I'll end up with 2 nice watched either way I decide to go.

I have contemplated this too after reading about the H-factory case construction.

I may take this route in the end, but I'm not sure yet.

I'm torn between trying to epoxy the H-factory case together (which should give a good water tight seal and a closer to gen appearance) and hybiding my 111J and 005.

I'll probably actually do both and see which seems a better final result and go that way.

Well if you DO go the epoxy route, please make a thread or something about it. I'm still waiting for the delivery of the 005. As for the hybrid: I'd really like to know if the closed caseback fits the 111j case. the lever of the 005 cg probably wont work with the CG of the 111j. The crownguards have different feet and the lever of the H-factory crownguards doesn't come off (easily) it seems..

Well if you DO go the epoxy route, please make a thread or something about it. I'm still waiting for the delivery of the 005. As for the hybrid: I'd really like to know if the closed caseback fits the 111j case. the lever of the 005 cg probably wont work with the CG of the 111j. The crownguards have different feet and the lever of the H-factory crownguards doesn't come off (easily) it seems..

I'll definitely post something if I decide to epoxy the H-factory case together.

My 005 should be delivered today, so I'll more than likely check caseback and CG pieces tonight. I'm pretty sure most (if not all) of this has already been checked (with 177s and 219s vs 111j) before and found to be directly swappable, but I'll confirm and let you know.

Where there's a will, there's a way :)

And regarding waterproofness - I think if we survey original front loading fiddy owners or watchmakers that worked on those on the condition of the bezel gasket after 5 years, we'll have an accurate picture of what to expect from the Hublot factory PAM bezel gasket thats 2x thinner.

I know I opened an old fiddy bezel to reseat the crystal once to find the bezel gasket that crumbled in my fingers.

I'll definitely post something if I decide to epoxy the H-factory case together.

My 005 should be delivered today, so I'll more than likely check caseback and CG pieces tonight. I'm pretty sure most (if not all) of this has already been checked (with 177s and 219s vs 111j) before and found to be directly swappable, but I'll confirm and let you know.

Awesome. :thumbsupsmileyanim: It really wouldn't surprise me if the closed caseback does not fit in the end. After all both reps are super duper 1:1 with genuine as sample no difference to the gen.. yet they are so different from each other.

If you build the 111 with the leftover parts, you can still glue the case together.. (and I'll know how and what to do. Hehe. :pardon: )

And regarding waterproofness - I think if we survey original front loading fiddy owners or watchmakers that worked on those on the condition of the bezel gasket after 5 years, we'll have an accurate picture of what to expect from the Hublot factory PAM bezel gasket thats 2x thinner.

I know I opened an old fiddy bezel to reseat the crystal once to find the bezel gasket that crumbled in my fingers.

So the gen 1950 case is constructed the same way? Friction fitted top and case + just a bigger gasket? Sorry for the newbie questions.. Never paid any attention to how the case is constructed on Panerais. :bangin:

Well, it just arrived about 15 minutes ago. After unpacking it, I spent about 10 minutes going over it as closely as I could without a loupe (I'm at work and didn't bring it with me today).

First impressions...HOLY $H!T! The fit and finish on this bad bay is AMAZING! This is by far the best PAM rep I've ever had out of the box. I was totally disappointed with the terrible CG finish, inner lug finish, crystal, and overall dial appearance on my 111J. This thing is near flawless (meaning build quality). I'm not doing anything to it just yet. I want to wear it and enjoy it for awhile.

Once the newness wears off, I'll tear it down and figure out what I want to do with this and the 111J.

EDIT - Oh, and 1 more thing...I have always been a fan of the sandwich dial, but after seeing this 005 dial, and at the risk of sounding like a moe...I'll take sausage over sandwich any day!

Great, good to hear you didn't catch a DOA or something. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

It's still a sugar coated turd. :bangin: (JK)

Trust me Tom...you will be amazed! It's anything but a turd.

I have this habit, born from past disappointments, of finding flaws in my watch from the point it is ordered trough the time I open the box. A lot of the time, those flaws are present when I inspect the new watch. Not this time. The only other watch that was as flawless as this one was 1 of 2 Breitling Skylands.

I have found 2 very minor issues with this watch.

1. The bottom CG screw was a tad loose. A half turn with a screwdriver did the trick.

2. The tip of the CG lever has a slight bur at the end. A quick swipe with 220 grit remedied this.

Yeah, hehe. I can't wait for it to arrive really.. Wasn't excited about a rep this much.. well.. ever. But just knowing about the "inferior" case construction is a total bummer. Who knows, maybe I wont even think about it once I get it. But in the long run I will probably put a swiss unitas/eta in it and epoxy the case together..

Anyway we totally hijacked this thread. Enjoy your watch, when you get home.. :victory:

Don't be daft mate

It's all about watches and more importantly PAMs so I really dont look at it that way!

My mum always said it's good to share and I always try too except when it comes to food, money and alcohol!!! ;) ;)

Look forward to seeing your pics mate!!

Awesome. :thumbsupsmileyanim: It really wouldn't surprise me if the closed caseback does not fit in the end. After all both reps are super duper 1:1 with genuine as sample no difference to the gen.. yet they are so different from each other.

If you build the 111 with the leftover parts, you can still glue the case together.. (and I'll know how and what to do. Hehe. :pardon: )

I can confirm that the 005 caseback fits on the 111J case, as does the 005 CG. I have not attempted to swap levers yet because the 005 pin is really tight and I haven't been brave enough yet to try and push it out with my bracelet pin pusher.

We already know that the crystal from the 005 will fit in the 111J case because babola installed his 177 crystal in his 111J case. And speaking of the crystal, it is every bit as impressive as I had hoped!

I'll also point out, for what it's worth, that the CG screws on my 005 were terrible. I thought my case might be cross threaded, but when I used the screws from the 111J, they screwed right in.