When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Clone ETA 2824 Movement

jmb

I knew that the 2836 had been copied for some time but didn't realize the ETA 2824 had been until one of my parts sources mentioned it so I ordered one, along with some 2836 movements.

Although I can occasionally service a movement without loosing any springs I am far from being an expert watchsmith so these observations are strictly from a layman's perspective.

The first thing I noticed that was different from my Swiss versions is the anti-shock spring. The ones in my Swiss movements can be "unclipped" easily to remove the balance jewel but I'm not quite sure how these would come off without mangling something! The second thing is rather subjective but the ETA and model number stamping doesn't look quite as deep or defined as in the genuine article.

I put it (and the clone 2836s) on the timer and they consistently ran slow and the beat error was higher than in my Swiss versions. This should be able to be adjusted.

Finally, the winding feel is not as smooth as in the Swiss versions.

Overall impression is that the general fit and finish appears to be good and I didn't find any hairs or other chunks of debris in the works so that's a good thing! ;) For about half the price of it's Swiss counterpart (~$60 opposed to ~$120) it looks pretty good.

Clone 2824 1.JPG

Clone 2824 2.JPG

Clone 2824 3.JPG

Clone 2824 4.JPG

Clone 2824 5.JPG

Clone 2824 6.JPG

The first thing I noticed that was different from my Swiss versions is the anti-shock spring. The ones in my Swiss movements can be "unclipped" easily to remove the balance jewel but I'm not quite sure how these would come off without mangling something!

Clone 2824 2.JPG

The spring is turned slightly until a tab reaches the cut-out section & then the spring pops......er, is carefully lifted out. (Be very careful as these things have a habit of becoming airborne without notice.) It takes a bit of practice. Also, there are various tools made to make spring removal a bit easier

kiftool0011.jpg

but I usually just use 5a tweezers & a pointy piece of pegwood or plastic probe (to hold the shock in place as the spring is rotated).

Springs and me still don't get along very well. Is the style used in the clone movement "old-school" or just a normal manufacturing variation?

I have 7 clone 2824s running in watches that I have assembled and they seem to run just the same as the Swiss made version. When they are clean and well lubed they are great movements.

The shock springs in mine are just the same spring as in the Swiss. The difference is there is only one relief cutout to release the spring while on the Swiss version there is three. I find it easier to put the spring back in on the clone.

BTW, jmb...rafflestime claimed to have had 3 of those movement rings and I ordered all three. At 1.00 each I saved a lot of freight.