When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Choosing A Car...

swdivad

Hey all... I am looking to purchase a second hand car for my wife and have narrowed the choice down between two cars:

BMW 318ti (2003, 20,000 kilometers)

BMW 320i (2002, 60,000 kilometers)

The prices are pretty much on par to Australian prices (high compared to the rest of the world maybe, but no matter)

Both cars are 5 speed auto transmission and in excellent condition as far as I can tell.

I am trying to find out from anyone in the know about the quality of the two choices, pluses/minuses of each model, any inherent problems etc.

In the end, I will have the final choice mechanically inspected, but ask your opinions so I can make an informed decision.

Which would you choose (or would you choose another make/model)?

Thanx :thumbsupsmileyanim:

My dear swdivad

Is not the 318 a bit of a poseur in the sports sedan market? I believe the 320 was created to address several shortcomings of the 318.

As a bit of advice, unless the fair half of your equation is a sports driving enthusiast, might I recommend something more in keeping with what SHE desires?

While masculine and chiseled, the BMW 3 series do not appeal to all members of the fair sex. As well, bear in mind that BMWs tend to be driven hard. Are you prepared to rescue your lass when she experiences mechanical failure on some distant kerb?

I know several women ("ladies" is too far a stretch) who prefer the lines of a Porsche over the chiseled lines of a BMW any day. Have you thought beyond the propeller insignia?

:winkiss:

My dear swdivad

Is not the 318 a bit of a poseur in the sports sedan market? I believe the 320 was created to address several shortcomings of the 318.

As a bit of advice, unless the fair half of your equation is a sports driving enthusiast, might I recommend something more in keeping with what SHE desires?

While masculine and chiseled, the BMW 3 series do not appeal to all members of the fair sex. As well, bear in mind that BMWs tend to be driven hard. Are you prepared to rescue your lass when she experiences mechanical failure on some distant kerb?

I know several women ("ladies" is too far a stretch) who prefer the lines of a Porsche over the chiseled lines of a BMW any day. Have you thought beyond the propeller insignia?

:winkiss:

Thanks Miss Understood for your insight ;)

BMW is her preference after choosing over Mercedes, Audi, and Peugot

The 318ti was actually her first choice and what we were looking for; She likes it because it's small, economical, and relates BMW with quality German engineering.

While we were at the lot, she saw the 320i and really liked it... The 318ti is a little more practical for her being smaller/easier to park, more fuel efficient, and a little cheaper. Being newer with fewer Ks was also a big plus.

On the other hand, the 320i was more practical because it has 4 doors and probably will be worth a little more as well in 3-5 years when moving to something else. It is also not as sporty and more elegant than the ti

She likes both, but buying both is not an option at the moment :lol:

Go for a Mini--my girl loves hers--engineered by BMW, but faster, more reliable (from personal experience) and hold their resale value betteer.

Love those!!

I tried to get her into a mini, but she wants something that's a bit more practical and comfortable ;)

Love those!!

I tried to get her into a mini, but she wants something that's a bit more practical and comfortable ;)

I got caught in a vicious cycle. Started looking at automatic 325's and ended up in a six speed 540. Lot's of choices and they are all fun to drive. If it's down to those two go for the 320. Good luck.

I presume you are talking E46 based compact and saloon 3 series?

Very similar cars, using the same platform. That said in euro markets the 320 saloon you are talking about was a straight 6 engine, miles better than the 4 cylinder Ti. If that's the case where you are there's only one choice the silky smooth 6 cylinder.

Be aware though many E46's were made in South Africa and don't have a great reputation for buil quality or longevity you might expect from a BMW. I had an E46 Coupe 330ci and it looked well worn after a couple of years lightish use.

Love those!!

Wait till you own one!--you'd be surprised that Mini's have a Volvo-like practicality that starts to emerge (which btw, it the only brand I've driven in 10 years; and until their safety or reliability deminishes, I'll never personally drive anyting but Volvo).

Wait till you own one!--you'd be surprised that Mini's have a Volvo-like practicality that starts to emerge (which btw, it the only brand I've driven in 10 years; and until their safety or reliability deminishes, I'll never personally drive anyting but Volvo).

The BMW Mini is a nice car but practicality is in short supply IMO. Only room for 2 adults and almost no space in the back even with the rear seats down. Also fuel range on the supercharged version my girlfriend has drops to below 200miles if you use the performance. It's good to drive though.

The BMW Mini is a nice car but practicality is in short supply IMO. Only room for 2 adults and almost no space in the back even with the rear seats down. Also fuel range on the supercharged version my girlfriend has drops to below 200miles if you use the performance. It's good to drive though.

And the 3-series is big enough not to require a manual for nookie :animal_rooster:

130011-19505.jpg

More seriously, I'd be going for the one with the lower k's on the clock. Around 60k is a major service, isn't it?

More seriously, I'd be going for the one with the lower k's on the clock. Around 60k is a major service, isn't it?

BMW's are on variable service intervals so it all depends on how it's been driven in the past as to where it is in the cycle.

The routine goes like this

Oil Service

Inspection I-minor service

Inspection II-major service

and repeat

The 6 cylinder engines have far greater longevity potential than the 4's. Think of the 4 as a cheapo asian auto and the 6 as an El Primero. :wub: