When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Brushed Skyland - a simple mod....

hackR

Bought this Skyland pre-owned -- with the bracelet already brushed...Decided to brush the case; leaving the case sides and bracelet edges polished...thanks, Mike, for that advice!

IMO, this mod adds a more rugged look to the Skyland...The dial really benefits from the brushing as it pops out a lot more than being surrounded by polished ss...A nice compliment to my brushed Blackbird and Steelfish; and a welcome change of wear with my other Avengers...Now on to brushing of my Navi Fighter a la Importr...

Used a 3M Superfine Sanding Pad; brushing in one direction...

What do you think?...

Enjoy - R

55419403.jpg

45019156.jpg

96341738.jpg

66807345.jpg

39186265.jpg

96932676.jpg

63790947.jpg

55581692.jpg

56300893.jpg

78657683.jpg

@all --> thanks!...

as some of you know, I have quite a few Avengers (Skyland and Chrono Avengers) in each color... :whistling:

that said, i decided to brush one of them for a different look...i like the Skyland polished, too; just thought it would be a fun, simple mod that would create another variety...i am more than pleased...less of a blingy effect - but the brushed ss does still "shine" - but in a much less obvious kinda way...

for those interested, all i did was carefully and slowly sand the polished finish to brushed - in a single direction...i followed the curve on the lugs...the sanding pad was cut into 3/4" strip for ease of handling using my finger to guide the sanding...i didn't mask off the polished edges, but was just careful...i left the case sides, the bracelet edges, the chrono pushers/crown and bezel ring polished...the rest is brushed...it really doesn't take that long to do (an hour or so)...the key is light repeated pressure in a single direction...the pad is flexible so you can use it to get into the creases in between the lugs and the area near the crown...make sure you also brushed the flat in between the lugs, as this area shows when the bracelet is attached...

here's the exact pad i used - pix swiped from the internet...a couple bucks at most hardware stores...

enjoy - R :drinks:

15536875.jpg

88607907.jpg

I think it's just shadow ;) To bead blast his case he would have had to removed the bezel and crystal..

Actually I just taped the crystal off but yes, there is a little bit of overspray near the 3 o'clock marker on the bezel.

I loved that thing so much, and got more compliments on it than any other watch. It was rugged, and wore it daily as my play watch. Pools, spas, ocean, skiing, quadding. I ended up selling it to fund a gen.

I think I might buy another and do it again.

Actually I just taped the crystal off but yes, there is a little bit of overspray near the 3 o'clock marker on the bezel.

I loved that thing so much, and got more compliments on it than any other watch. It was rugged, and wore it daily as my play watch. Pools, spas, ocean, skiing, quadding. I ended up selling it to fund a gen.

I think I might buy another and do it again.

I stand corrected.... oops :bangin:

That'd be a good idea but I parted with it last ... the last time RG went down :D

I do like the gray dial a lot so hopefully I'll find one with the regular polished case again

The deal with this bead-blast is that it appears dusty but is smooth to the touch

I would find myself wiping it down every time I looked @ it !

back OT, sorry HackR

no worries, guys...

i do have to say, i'm liking this brushed skyland - A LOT...the sheen on the brushed finish is perfect...makes the watch sparkle, but not in a bright kinda way...and sooooo simple to do...

highly recommended for those with more than one Skyland...i would always want to keep a polished version (or two... ;) ) in my collection, but am enjoying having a brushed version...

R