When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Fix it!

automatico

I see many posts about doa replicas in need of simple repairs.

You can save a lot of $$ by learning the basics...

I would advise anyone who plans to keep their replicas or tends to accumulate a collection to learn how to:

1...remove the movement from the case

2...remove the hands and dial...without damage!

3...reinstall the dial, hands, and movement...without damage!

4...learn to install stems, crowns, crystals, gaskets etc

The reasons for numbers 1 through 3 are so you can exchange complete movements or take the bare movement to a repair shop. Many repair guys will clean and oil an Eta 28xxx out of the watch without a dial for $50 or $75 but will not touch one in a replica.

They might ask $150 or more to c/o the exact same movement in a name brand watch...Bulova, Mido etc.

As for Asian '21 jewelers'...they are really not worth paying to have one repaired but they are fairly easy to take apart and clean and oil. They are cheap enough that if you screw something up, keep it for parts and wait until another one needs working on. If you learn how to work on '21 jewelers' you can easily move on to Etas etc. The 21's are very good to learn about cleaning and oiling balance jewels and handling cap jewels, shock springs etc.

Besides...watch repair is a good rainy day hobby and if you master 21's and 28xxx Etas, you will always have something to do and maybe make a little $$.

To get started:

Rodico!

hand pullers

hand setters

case wrenches

set of screwdrivers

bottle of Jack Daniels

headband magnifier or loupe

small and mid size pin wrenches

book on basic watch repair that includes automatics and calendars

cheapo non magnetic 3C tweezers and cheapo general purpose tweezers

light watch oil, heavy watch oil, watch grease, silicon grease for gaskets etc

(long time forum member 'Offshore' has most of this stuff)

ps:

I can understand if anyone does not know what Rodico is but they better know what Jack Daniels is.

It's made a few miles down the road from here. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Yes it is nice recommendation :good:

Better is start with simple 6497 movement. I started with this movement a few time ago ( I was get tire to pay local watchmaker constantly eventually )and no problem at all. Movement swap, higher CP, hand set install etc. It is not a problem. Of course always is risk of damage watch hand`s. You can protect dial and hand set with thin film or paper but after taking off hand`s, specially second hand, hand will be crooked sometimes. Damaged during take from CP...And sometimes restoring them is not possible or result will not be as good as you like. You have always be prepared that you need some spare parts and you can spoil something.

But I would not touch 7750 type movement`s or copy Venus movement by myself. Too complicated for me, ok probably I can take movement out, there is a lot on material tutorial`s etc . Unfortunately main problem for me is, I don`t know how to take off 7750 chrono pushers... :(, not a single learning video on tutorial does not show what I shall do with chrono pushers.... how pushers are connected with movement? Do I have to take off some fasteners between chrono pushers and movement before I take off 7750 movement? I don´t know unfortunately...

And full service is also not so good idea make is by yourself. These is lot of skills needed. All gears are very very tiny, you need to know what type of oil where to use , you need Ultrasonic Cleaner `s etc . I will pay for watchmaker better:)

Edited by sul

"...now if I can learn not press too hard on that tiny button...screwing up the keyless!"

Find a screwdriver that is a good fit in the 'keyhole' slot of Eta 28xx and it will not go in far enough to unseat the setting parts.

'Twenty ones' are not too bad but they are more of a hassle to work on because I'm used to Etas.