When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Improving The "pearl" Els 16610

madmex

129942-19520.jpg

By adding some clear U-V crystal cement, and then curing it with the sun for a couple of minutes, you can fill the little voids and give it that gloss-over look as on the GEN.

I just received this beauty from EL, by the way.

The procedure was done in 2 steps. First to fill the void, I added a small drop. I cured it with the sunlight (or UV lamp if you keep a spare around the garage--I don't).

Then I added another drop on top to give it the round pearl look.

The pictures were taken prior to polishing it with a cotton shirt.

129942-19521.jpg

before the procedure, the pearl looked good, but was a little small, and favored one side more than the other.

129949-19517.jpg

By adding some clear U-V crystal cement, and then curing it with the sun for a couple of minutes, you can fill the little voids and give it that gloss-over look as on the GEN.

I just received this beauty from EL, by the way.

The procedure was done in 2 steps. First to fill the void, I added a small drop. I cured it with the sunlight (or UV lamp if you keep a spare around the garage--I don't).

Then I added another drop on top to give it the round pearl look.

The pictures were taken prior to polishing it with a cotton shirt.

129949-19518.jpg

before the procedure, the pearl looked good, but was a little small, and favored one side more than the other.

that is very interesting and cool, i never thought of that before, i guess u can teach a old dog new tricks afterall, lol i tried stuff but it always turned out where it would rubb off or scar easily and or haze up , now i have something to play with , thanks for the tip , i will give it a go tonite to let all know just how durable it is , i have a uv lamp just for this stuff , so i will cure it to death lol great idea, kudos to u

joe

Nice suggestion & great sub!

I've done this to all my sub inserts including the vintage guys with clear nail polish. I apply it with the tip of a plastic toothpik or very small artist brush.

For the vintage inserts, mixing clear polish with tiny bit of brown shoe polish results in a very nice patina, to taste.

One does have a tendency to get creative messing around with these watches. :)

like i said i have tried epoxies and nail polish and they never did it good enough for me only because they r not hard enough, but i think just maybe the uv stuff could work, or maybe i have tried the wrong epoxies and or nail polishes in the past lol , but anyway it is a great idea and i hope it hardens, see the other stuff mars and dents easily that is why i dont like it , i love learning however, thanks

joe

like i said i have tried epoxies and nail polish and they never did it good enough for me only because they r not hard enough, but i think just maybe the uv stuff could work, or maybe i have tried the wrong epoxies and or nail polishes in the past lol , but anyway it is a great idea and i hope it hardens, see the other stuff mars and dents easily that is why i dont like it , i love learning however, thanks

joe

Believe me it's hard enough... :p

You can swim with it,take a shower whatever...

joe

The UV cement works great. It is designed to cement watch crystals in place. It hardens very well.

Model glue sounds good too, as was suggested. What I like about the UV Cement is that it's designed for watches and does not solidify until it is exposed to a UV source. It is semi-liquid, and you can clean up and restart if you make a mistake. When it looks good, then u go outside for 3 minutes in the sun. THen u reapply the bubble, and repeat.

After a long UV application (wear it out in the sun or somehting), you wash it with soap and water and can polish it with your shirt, to give it a good shine.

The UV cement works great. It is designed to cement watch crystals in place. It hardens very well.

Model glue sounds good too, as was suggested. What I like about the UV Cement is that it's designed for watches and does not solidify until it is exposed to a UV source. It is semi-liquid, and you can clean up and restart if you make a mistake. When it looks good, then u go outside for 3 minutes in the sun. THen u reapply the bubble, and repeat.

After a long UV application (wear it out in the sun or somehting), you wash it with soap and water and can polish it with your shirt, to give it a good shine.

Thanks for the tip. The pearl on my EL sub is also small, so I will give it a try.

• 5 months later...