When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

QC Pics Inside... Tell me if it's Good

cdaeng2

The amplitude very low at only 214 degrees but it could be because they never wound it and only shook it until it started to run. I would see if it is possible to get a new timing pic with the actual watch fully wound and see if you get at least 260-270 degrees amplitude (low amplitude = movement in need of service and will not last long).

The amplitude very low at only 214 degrees but it could be because they never wound it and only shook it until it started to run. I would see if it is possible to get a new timing pic with the actual watch fully wound and see if you get at least 260-270 degrees amplitude (low amplitude = movement in need of service and will not last long).

I'm not too sure about that...

I have the clear impression that the optimal amplitude varies from one type of movement to the next... Comes from the design of it. And in terms of DG4813, I'm yet to see one showing an amplitude of more that 230°... I've seen something like 6 or 7 QC pics for such movements, and the amplitude is always in the 200's. And no one just came two or three weeks after telling that the watch doesn't keep good time, or that it died. My exp with the 3 of them that I had bought is quite the inverse: they all run very well after 1 month or more, and they all keep very excellent time (all within COSC values!!!).

It could still be that they're all "dirty and in need of service". But at the same time, I've seen many a Valjoux with amplitude of 330° or so just crap in 5 days... and be found to be really dirty when dissecting it.

So, based on the empirical facts, I'm not convinced that "big amplitude means movement's clean and well working" while "short amplitude means dirty movement that needs service"...

Then again, I'm no watchsmith or anything similar and I could be very wrong, particularly with a fairly small sample as the one I'm considering. But either I'm very

Edited by Pakz

I really don't know what to make of this info...

and I don't think it's that meaningful. All I see is that this movement tend to have at the same time a smallish amplitude, very good accuracy (mine are -001s and +000s) and very low beat error... As to what it will make in terms of life expectancy, we don't have enough hindsight, I'd say.

Edited by Pakz

Hi, if the movement is Eta or Asian Eta clone (2824-2/2836-2) then the 270+ amplitude and the rest of the timings are good :D. I put a few of my dg2813 and dg4813 watches on the timing machine and got the following amplitudes at 52 degrees liftangle (i am not sure what the liftangle is on these so i ran with the default 52):

DG2813: Around 290-300 degrees all of them

DG4813: Around 205-215 degrees all of them

So the DG4813 (28800bph) does have a lower amplitude than the DG2813 (21300bph) at least on my Rolex reps.

Edited by Stefanp67

Hi, if the movement is Eta or Asian Eta clone (2824-2/2836-2) then the 270+ amplitude and the rest of the timings are good :D. I put a few of my dg2813 and dg4813 watches on the timing machine and got the following amplitudes at 52 degrees liftangle (i am not sure what the liftangle is on these so i ran with the default 52):

DG2813: Around 290-300 degrees all of them

DG4813: Around 205-215 degrees all of them

So the DG4813 (28800bph) does have a lower amplitude than the DG2813 (21300bph) at least on my Rolex reps.

That does totally confirm my own experience.

They probably managed the speeding up of the movement by reducing the amplitude...

• 2 weeks later...

i did get another QC pics from Andrew.

This one does have proper spacing between logo and 12.

but.... amplitude at 275°, Rate 009+ s/d & beat error 0.0ms

are these specs acceptable??

Is it really from Andrew (trusty)? I had no idea he knew something about the working of movements :g:

Let me put it this way...no :snorkel: I would not do more than wash my hands or get caught In a light rain.

Well, seems that recently the rep factories have seriously upped their ante... Some people actually snorkel with these babies and have no problems. I'm not that brave, so I'm not going to go bathing with my PO... but it might very survive the experience ;)