When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Why do I see so many big subs?

josh_w

So my current favorite watch is my BK TW sub (WM9 dial). I am going to assume that it is pretty accurate to gen in size. It supposedly takes gen parts. Now when I first got it I will admit it seemed quite small, but then my BK DSSD was my only other Rolex. Now it seems so perfectly sized that the DSSD seems stupidly big (and gets no wrist time now).

Today I ran into at least three people wearing subs. Two on my flight to Miami from Newark NJ. And one at Whole Foods. All of those subs looked bigger than mine - I'd guess 41mm. I got a close look at one in particular because it was on the wrist of my wife's friend's husband. Not a rep wearer. It definitely was a sub, cyclops with date. And definitely wasn't a ceramic bezel. The CGs were pointed like on a 16610 - not those barrel shoulders like the 116610. But it looked bigger than mine.

Does Rolex make a bigger sub? Am I crazy? Is my sub wrong and too small?

Wondering...

The original TW Best sub (circa 1999) always looked small. The case was actually the right diameter, but the bezel accepted a slightly smaller diameter insert. Therefore to fit the gen insert, one had to slightly reduce its diameter first. Not even enough to cut in to the numbers or stick markers... so it sounds harmless and unnoticeable. But in reality it was. Somehow it just made the entire watch look smaller.

Don't know if this is the problem with the BK TW of today... but perhaps it is.

I know exactly what you mean, I have a noobmariner and a TT wm9 and both appear smaller the gens i see other sporting, I do think its a bezel thing. But its probably more illusionary and perception of what we are used to on are own wrists. I have the same think with panerais, ther is a guy with 113 in a Cafe near where i work and it looks much bigger and shinier than my 003.

I think its like that Aesop fable about the dog and his reflection

742px-Dog_and_reflection_kalila_and_dimna.JPG

Thats what I like about the MBW16610. The watch 'appears' larger than a Noobmariner for some reason. The dial looks bigger but its not. Out of all the 16610's I have owned, the MBW is the only one that actually looked right when compared to a gen.

I also agree with the orig poster.. the DSSD is a top heavy, awkward watch. Probably the most unbalanced watch I have ever worn. I had mine for about a year and wore it twice.

dizz

"Big" is relative...how big/small are your wrists?

:pimp:

That's not really what we are talking about here...

You should read the entire thread. Its interesting that someone noticed this because its quite true.

dizz

That's not really what we are talking about here...

You should read the entire thread. Its interesting that someone noticed this because its quite true.

dizz

I did...it's all relative until someone confirms the latest BK TW sub bezel insert is smaller than gen.

Kinda like how the moon looks bigger next to a tree than by itself surrounded by black or an ear looking bigger than the other or one ball feeling bigger than another...then the other feeling bigger. :) Or how one breast feels firmer than the other or one d*ck looking... :pardon:

:pimp: