When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Want my First Rolex but need some help

ATEspo

I am sure you guys see this all the time over here in the Rolex section, I never visit so I am sorry if this is always brought up.

The first watch that got me into the rep game (back in 1999) was a Rolex DayDate at a flea-market that I wore for years until it broke, but that was my FIRST and ONLY Rolex I've ever owned. I am a die-hard Breitling and Panerai fan, and have been buying/selling them for years. The thing I have against Rolex is the size. I feel like 39mm and 40mm are too small for me even though I have a 6.4" wrist.

Another thing I am unsure of is the different abbrivations and model numbers I see flying around here, which confuses me and I dont know what is what.

So I have been kicking the idea around to pickup a Rolex to add to my collection but since I am not familiar with the brand, I dont know what to look at. I also dont know if I will wear it enough and it might be a 'catch-n-release' so I dont want to spend a fortune YET. And I know you get what you pay for in this hobby. With that said...

I think I want to go with a vintage piece. I love the yellow-ish dial markers, I love the 'red' writing on the dials, and I LOVE the rivet bracelet. But on the other side of things, I do like the current models produced by the noob factory.

Someone please chime in and help this Rolex rookie!

Thanks in advance fellas!

I've been chatting with this guy by email.

He's a decent sort - I'd encourage anyone with a few minutes to share with the newbies to offer guidance.

For inexpensive, vintage with rivit band, I suggested the GMT with the modified Swiss 2836, but he didn't say anything to me about liking larger watches as he mentions here. Since that GMT is a slim, elegant thing, it may not be the best suited for him.

Bill

I've been chatting with this guy by email.

He's a decent sort - I'd encourage anyone with a few minutes to share with the newbies to offer guidance.

For inexpensive, vintage with rivit band, I suggested the GMT with the modified Swiss 2836, but he didn't say anything to me about liking larger watches as he mentions here. Since that GMT is a slim, elegant thing, it may not be the best suited for him.

Bill

Bill, thank you for all your help and information, I can honestly say I do not feel sheltered anymore with Rolex.

As far as wanting a "larger" piece, I know the Rolex brand is all about the sleek elegant watch case. And I am okay with that because that is their style and that is why I want to "try" a Rolex out before spending $500+ on a nice vintage piece.

So with that said, what are the 'larger' vintage pieces? The GMTs are very slim, so are some of the subs thicker?

I'm not really sure what to suggest... Vintage is definitely good, but doesn't really fit into your size requirement... I've never held/seen in person a vintage Sea-Dweller, but I believe they are a bit beefier than a regular Submariner, so my suggestion, would be to go for a Double Red Sea-Dweller, as that has the red lettering, and the vintage yellow dial, but of course, the size might be an issue... Best of luck with your selection :good::drinks:

I'm not really sure what to suggest... Vintage is definitely good, but doesn't really fit into your size requirement... I've never held/seen in person a vintage Sea-Dweller, but I believe they are a bit beefier than a regular Submariner, so my suggestion, would be to go for a Double Red Sea-Dweller, as that has the red lettering, and the vintage yellow dial, but of course, the size might be an issue... Best of luck with your selection :good::drinks:

I am not limited to a certain size, I am just accustomed to these 44mm+ Pams and Lings.

After looking at photos of different models, I think a Submariner or Sea-Dweller is what I am going to look for.

I like the idea of the "double red sea-dweller", now just need to find one.

Hey TeeJay -- long time!

Hope all is well with you.

I have a few DRSD's but I think those are more than he's wanting to spend at this point. I'm glad you mention that though because I think I have something around here somewhere - I once found a bastard DRSD case and made a pretty nice gen style DRSD out of it and posted pics of it. If I can find it, I may let him have that.

Bill

I think you are on the right track going for a 1665 DRSD which is the bulkier one of the vintage Rolex pieces, just like TJ said. Good luck on your hunt!

YES, just found photos of a 1665 DRSD, thats it, thats what I want. (DRSD stands for 'Double Red Sea-Dweller' correct?)

So before I spend the big bucks on one, I just picked up a used noob SD for a hundred bucks to make sure I will like the size and style. If I do like it, I will sell that as well as a Panerai or two and pickup a nice vintage DRSD.

Im excited I finally found what I want.

Now let the addiction begin.

Thanks guys!

I am not limited to a certain size, I am just accustomed to these 44mm+ Pams and Lings.

After looking at photos of different models, I think a Submariner or Sea-Dweller is what I am going to look for.

I like the idea of the "double red sea-dweller", now just need to find one.

If you're not too worried about size, I would definitely suggest trying one, I only thought that size may be an issue, because of your comment on 39mm-40mm cases. The one thing I would say, is going from a large watch, to a smaller one, it can sometimes take a while for the eye to 'adjust' to the smaller size. Going from my 42mm Tudor Heritage to a 36mm DateJust (I grazed my wrist carving, and didn't want a heavy watch rubbing over the wound while it heals) did make the DJ seem really small on my wrist, but, my eye soon adapted :) Equally, same rule applies when going from a small watch to a large one. Wearing a Submariner, then putting on a Planet Ocean 45mm, and the Planet Ocean will look crazy big, but put the PO on last thing before going to bed, and when you wake up, it will just look like 'a watch' on your wrist, rather than the oversized look when seen immediately after a smaller watch :victory:

Hey TeeJay -- long time!

Hope all is well with you.

I have a few DRSD's but I think those are more than he's wanting to spend at this point. I'm glad you mention that though because I think I have something around here somewhere - I once found a bastard DRSD case and made a pretty nice gen style DRSD out of it and posted pics of it. If I can find it, I may let him have that.

Bill

Indeed, it's been a while, Bill, all is good thankyou, I hope all is good with you as well :) The usual issues of never enough cash, but for the majority, all is good :) It's funny that I recommended it, in that it's a watch I've never worn myself, or ever really considered for myself, but I figured it had the most 'red' on the dial, as well as having the beefier SD case :)

Edited by TeeJay

Have a look at the $98 vintage subs and Seadwellers that Josh is offering I have modded about 5 so far and bang for buck they are well up there. Gen like construction and with a slow beat Asian as standard. Add a gen crown and tube and a few mods and you have a watch not far off modded mbw area and I thing the only thing I would add after I had done my normal mods is a slow beat Swiss movement

The only major flaw is that the cases have short stubby crown guards. I have got round this by fitting a gen crown and lowering the crown seat half a mm

60252a5e.jpg

Have a look at the $98 vintage subs and Seadwellers that Josh is offering I have modded about 5 so far and bang for buck they are well up there. Gen like construction and with a slow beat Asian as standard. Add a gen crown and tube and a few mods and you have a watch not far off modded mbw area and I thing the only thing I would add after I had done my normal mods is a slow beat Swiss movement

The only major flaw is that the cases have short stubby crown guards. I have got round this by fitting a gen crown and lowering the crown seat half a mm

60252a5e.jpg

Great insight for the OP but just a small correction - the $98 vintage subs are Fast-beat 2813s not the standard slowbeats that you see in most reps.

I can relate to this post in two ways... First, I was never a big Rolex guy. I had always considerednthem too classic looking. Yet, of the last four watches I have bought, three have been Rolex models (16610 Sub, DSSD, and I have a 1680 Red Sub on the way). There is something about the classic look lf a Rolex.

Second, as I just said, my latest watch is a 1680 Red Sub. I NEVER was into vintage watches, ever (did I mention never?). Then, one day, while perusing the forum, a Rolex with a dome caught my eye. After that, it was over... I had to have one! You mentioned you don't want to spend a fortune and I admire that, I wish I had the control you did! Thanks to Bill, I have probably the finest watxh I'll own on the way!

Up until this point, my DSSD is my absolute favorite watch. I have a feeling once I get this Red Sub, my DSSD will take a second-place seat. I say go for it! Buy yourself a vintage Rolex and enjoy the hell out of it! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

That would be a 4813 then but tha ones I have had in my hands were 2813 running at 21600

Not necessarily.

Look on Josh's site - it clearly states 28800bph and you visually see it too - it sweeps much smoohter than the one running at 21600. So unless you got the slow-beats elsewhere, both trusty and Josh are selling it with high-beat.

If you're not too worried about size, I would definitely suggest trying one, I only thought that size may be an issue, because of your comment on 39mm-40mm cases. The one thing I would say, is going from a large watch, to a smaller one, it can sometimes take a while for the eye to 'adjust' to the smaller size. Going from my 42mm Tudor Heritage to a 36mm DateJust (I grazed my wrist carving, and didn't want a heavy watch rubbing over the wound while it heals) did make the DJ seem really small on my wrist, but, my eye soon adapted :) Equally, same rule applies when going from a small watch to a large one. Wearing a Submariner, then putting on a Planet Ocean 45mm, and the Planet Ocean will look crazy big, but put the PO on last thing before going to bed, and when you wake up, it will just look like 'a watch' on your wrist, rather than the oversized look when seen immediately after a smaller watch :victory:

Yes, I am just worried about going from a Seawolf/Skyland to a Sub/Sea-Dweller, but not the oposite. I can always put a larger watch on my wrist, its when you put a smaller one on after a larger one that always gets me.

60252a5e.jpg

I picked up a moded LV Sub for about a hundred bucks yesterday to see if the size is even going to work and/or I even wear it enough to spend some big bucks on a vintage DRSD/SD/Sub.

I can relate to this post in two ways... First, I was never a big Rolex guy. I had always considerednthem too classic looking. Yet, of the last four watches I have bought, three have been Rolex models (16610 Sub, DSSD, and I have a 1680 Red Sub on the way). There is something about the classic look lf a Rolex.

Second, as I just said, my latest watch is a 1680 Red Sub. I NEVER was into vintage watches, ever (did I mention never?). Then, one day, while perusing the forum, a Rolex with a dome caught my eye. After that, it was over... I had to have one! You mentioned you don't want to spend a fortune and I admire that, I wish I had the control you did! Thanks to Bill, I have probably the finest watxh I'll own on the way!

Up until this point, my DSSD is my absolute favorite watch. I have a feeling once I get this Red Sub, my DSSD will take a second-place seat. I say go for it! Buy yourself a vintage Rolex and enjoy the hell out of it! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I also told Bill to hang onto one for me for a few weeks so I can see if I like the style/size, I really hope he does becasue I really would love to own one of his beautiful vintage pieces.