When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Flaws in reps

brucesreps

I recently sold a Ceramic submariner to a member here. Movement was 21j auto and worked great. The watch was sold to the member for $100 + shipping costs. This member is now complaining about the flaws of the watch. Stating the crystal is crooked and when the crown is in a certain position the watch stops? I have never heard of that one before.

Buyer claims I did not disclose the flaws in the sales thread. I explained to him that if I had known about these so called flaws, I would have disclosed them. I never bothered with looking at the watch that carefully. It worked when I got it, that was enough as I don't expect 1:1 for $100. I mean I could understand if the watch had arrived DOA, but it did not.

Here is the sales thread:

Anyways, to the point. If you expect a "perfect" non-flawed watch then buy the GEN as a rep will NEVER satisfy you. What do you expect out of a $100 rep?

Even a $500 rep will have its flaws. Hell, even some gens have flaws. No one item will be truly perfect no matter how much you pay for it.

Why are members so anal about the such minor flaws in these budget reps? It truly pisses me off.

Sorry, had to vent.

it's not about how anal you are. It's about expectations. I'm super anal when it comes to details, but I know what to expect from the rep world. I'm more concerned about wanting to improve my reps rather than complaining about it. Even manufacturing my own parts if I have to.

Seems like a perfectly good test piece to start learning how to fix this stuff yourself, I'd say :D This won't be the last rep or gen watch that comes through that has flaws.

Personally, I didn't and still don't see anything wrong with the watch at all. I never bother looking for these SLIGHT imperfections because I know what they are..... budget reps. I would have just left it alone if I had kept it. But heck, I had 2 subs. I'd hate to see his reaction to my other one! Date mag is 1.5 mag, cg's too sharp, crown slightly missaligned, no lume, crystal is off 1mm, and a few more flaws. But for $35 I'm not complaining. It is a 21j rep that I wear DAILY.

The larget difficulty with replicas is when the movements prove to be faulty in one way or another...there is so much pain in having to send the watches all over the place to have them serviced and improved for hard earned $...sometimes the replica simply stop running even if you have given them this tender loving care ...but that is a problem with genuine mechanical watches also

Why are members so anal about the such minor flaws in these budget reps? It truly pisses me off.

Partly, because when people buy anything second-hand, they assume that "something must be wrong with it", and try to find even the smallest reason "Aha! That's why he sold it". With budget reps, it's not really that hard, is it? :pardon:

All my reps have flaws,some more than others. Im not investing thousands upon thousands,so I live with the flaws or correct them If possable. If I purchase 1000.00 plus watch It better be perfect,or dam close. When I spend a $100.00 for a replication of multi thousand gen,no big deal. This hobby Isnt for everyone,case In point. :whistling: