When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

PAM 253 crystal

Whatever123

Hi there,

just got my new 253 (V5, right?) and read a lot about the crystals...

So - is it still mineral and not sapphire on the new V5s? Josh's site says "synthetic sapphire" - whatever that means?!

And are there replacement options out there? I saw a project by plaifender and one by Big Crown but it seems they both died...

Thanks,

Whatever123

synthetic = mineral glass

Not always the case... as all watch crystals are "synthetic" to some extent... our Sapphire crystals are all lab created, not natural crystals polished down. Some dealers use "Synthetic Sapphire" when they mean (and what we accept to be) "Sapphire", others use it to denote "Mineral Crystal".

Seeing as Josh uses "Genuine Sapphire" as a description on other reps, I'd guess when he uses "Synthetic" he does, in fact, mean Mineral Crystal... an email dropped his way asking specifically if it is "Sapphire" or "Mineral Crystal/Glass" would be my move.

Don't know of any rep dealers who use the term "synthetic sapphire" to mean synthetic sapphire. Among rep dealers, any mention of the work "synthetic" indicates a mineral glass crystal.

Perhaps that is an older use I'm still familiar with... TTK and some other dealers now long gone used to refer to Sappire as "synthetic sapphire" and mineral glass/crystal was "mineral crystal"

I could very well be behind the times.

Perhaps that is an older use I'm still familiar with... TTK and some other dealers now long gone used to refer to Sappire as "synthetic sapphire" and mineral glass/crystal was "mineral crystal"

I could very well be behind the times.

You're familiar with the correct use of the terms...The one that legitimate watch dealers use. I only wish that rep dealers complied with with these standards.

Chinese do not use "Stanford Materials".....and "synthetic sapphire" = "mineral"..........don't get lost in the details and scientific definition of sapphire...and don't give any of these factories the benefit of the doubt....if it's "sapphire", they will list is as such....if it's "mineral", they will try and sugar coat it and re-term it...aka "synthetic sapphire"

Edited by btocamelo