When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How Big Is Too Big

dangerman

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd never even heard of Panerai before I a week ago when I started on the rep sites. I couldn't understand the attraction at first but I'm starting to change my mind.

My main concern is what size would be right . My wrist measures 17 cm (6.7 inch) which I consider a bit on the small side. Would a 44 mm Pani be too big and look silly on my wrist .

Any advice appreciated especially from those with similar wrist size. Does it stand out too much or look odd? What size would you recommend?

Really looking forward to your opinions and advice.

Girls tell me 6.7 inches is way too small, but I'm way too big ?

What do you mean, oh, you're talking about wrist size? :bleh:

Peeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee...

Seriously, it is partly preference, and if the lugs overhang your wrist. Do a search and you will find some skinny wrist shots.

Good luck :victory:

Edited by Chronus

Guys this is exactly what I needed to hear. This has been a real gold mine for me. Sometimes you need opinions not just facts.

I normally think of my self as the kind who likes an understated watch. I have always wanted a Speedmaster Professional. But when I tried one on at the AD I was reminded that it is relatively slim and subtle. It looks great up close but from a distance the Speedmaster could go completely unnoticed on your wrist.

Now don't get me wrong I still love and want the Speedmaster. But I happened to see and try on the Seamaster Chrono. I was really blown away by its sheer "presence" for want of a better word. Now it's certainly not subtle or understated but something about the bulk of but that big Seamaster Chrono really appealed. But for me it may be a bit too recognisable as well. Then I started thinking that if an impressive masculine looking case and face was what I wanted, then maybe I needed to have another look at Panerai.

Samm tqq interesting to hear what you say about not getting the metal bracelet. I Was quite taken with the look of the bracelet I admit. Hmm lots more thinking/agonising to do.

Marinamm20 and azgjav hose wrist shots were brilliant. I saw a couple I really liked. Loved that first black one. (Is that finish durable) People are always posting pictures of the watches but I rarely see good photos of them being worn. It really puts it into perspective. I'm was starting to think I could get away with 44mm till I read By-Tor's post.

Ahhhhhh!!! I'm going crazy trying to decide. Sorry to be so indecisive. Sadly I can only afford one nice rep for now. If I get it wrong it will be at least a year before I get another. You know the usual story: mortgage, baby with another on the way, yadda yadda yadda. Sigh!!! Anyway enough whining for now.

Pugwash I love the IWC's as well. One day I'll get a pilot chrono but not the Big Pilot. Too big for my tastes.

Sorry JTB I didn't realise when I first posted that only photos were in that area. Thanks for fixing that up. Sorry also about getting on to movements. I've read a lot about it but it's often contradictory. I guess there is no easy answer on that one. When I get closer to deciding I'll post a more specific question.

Richard that is a really worthwhile and interesting take on the subject. I hadn't considered which face so far but do like chronos. You've really got me thinking now.

Joshua I keep thinking exactly the same thing. More wrist shots that give the view of someone standing next to you are what I crave.

And to all you guys joking about penis size; well I guess I was asking for it wasn't I.

Edited by dangerman

Why do people always post wrist shots that are 5 inches away.

Because it's quite hard to take good wrist shots of your own wrists from a distance... and from different perspectives. It's like when people say "go f..ck yourself". It's probably possible, but anatomically it's quite challenging... unless you have a seriously wide "innie".

This gives horrible perspective and doesn't give a clear picture of what the watch looks like. I don't know about you but I don't have my head 5 inches away from my wrist all day long, and neither do other people. I'd like to see some good perspective wrist shots from like 5 feet away or so.

This is how the SMP looks on a 8' wrist... from a distance.

131059-19244.jpg

Here's a TT Sub on my 8'wrist (sorry 'bout the noisy pic) We once had a "who has the bigger arm competition" on the old RWG with Joe. :lol:

131059-19245.jpg

One more "different" wrist shot. This is technically better because it's not shot through mirror: GMT Master. I find the 40-42mm being the perfect size for me.

131059-19246.jpg

Edited by By-Tor

My theory is that a big wtach makes the fit look thinner than it is. So usually it does not look good on a man, unless he has thick wrists... BUT it looks great on a woman's !!! Have you seen a pretty woman wearing a submariner or a panerai? Very sexy. Makes her look thinner, taller and... distinctive.

Just MHO.

EDIT: a thick & short woman should wear a small watch of course. A tall & thin woman should try a men's watch. It's a question of balance...

Edited by tag

This is a wristshot of my 111h on my 7.8'' wrist.

I think the only question is ...do YOU like it?. If you do, then what the heck.... size dosen't matter...no matter what they tell you... :D

Big chronos or even PAMS on women.... I love that. It looks great and they (at least the ones I go for) don't have the powerlifter wrists.

There is a German saying..."Erlaubt ist, was gefällt!" (Whatever you like is allowed) or the more up-to-date tranlation "Just do it" - get a PAM, try it...if you don't like it...you can allways ship it to me... ;)

post-2851-1160658860_thumb.jpg

Simple: if it lookes silly to you don't wear it. We big guys have to be careful we don't wear clothes that make our guts look bigger than they already are. Really skinny or little guys, I guess, have to decide if they want to wear watches that make them look lankier or smaller-framed than they already are. Me, I probably shouldn't wear my RO w/ short sleeved shirts because, like Ms. A says, it makes my arms and hands look a little ....er...plump. I do anyway, though, 'cause I'm too old to give a [censored]. Bottom line: depends on the degree to which you care what others think.

I'm with Pugwash. 6.75 in. wrist and 44 PAMs are fine. Anything bigger would look cartoonish on me. My personal preference is between 40-44mm, and a lot of that depends on the face of the watch. My 063 has a bigger face than my 192, both 44 mm watches. In my opinion, the 192 wears smaller for this reason. Still, I like 'em both!.

Climb on.

This is a wristshot of my 111h on my 7.8'' wrist.

I think the only question is ...do YOU like it?. If you do, then what the heck.... size dosen't matter...no matter what they tell you... :D

Big chronos or even PAMS on women.... I love that. It looks great and they (at least the ones I go for) don't have the powerlifter wrists.

There is a German saying..."Erlaubt ist, was gefällt!" (Whatever you like is allowed) or the more up-to-date tranlation "Just do it" - get a PAM, try it...if you don't like it...you can allways ship it to me... ;)

post-2851-1160658860_thumb.jpg

IMHO that looks a little small even, you could wear a Fiddy really nice.

Richard Tracy where can I find out more info on the watch in your avatar? I looked through all the omegas the dealers are offering and cant seem to find it.

Hi,

This model was discontinued about two years ago...it sports the correct length hands,

and proper gas valve placement.

King used to carry the newer version, {though not as accurate} don't know that happened

though to them,.. Silix may have them but his site is too slow for me to find out...

http://www.silix-prime.com/ give it a try.. ^_^

Richard that is a really worthwhile and interesting take on the subject. I hadn't considered which face so far but do like chronos. You've really got me thinking now.

Dangerman, find below photos demonstrating my views.

Both watches are 44mm but wear much smaller.

Notice how a large face is dimished by the recessed bowls around the dial,

the shorter hands completing the picture.

Makes a visual difference, that has a postive impact for smaller wrists.. ^_^

131368-19170.jpg

131368-19171.jpg

Also, Black Bezels can tone down a larger piece. -_-

I think watches are a bit like televisions--once you go to a large screen the old set looks incredibly small. With watches, however, there are more aesthetic and physiological limitations. The physiological limitation has been plainly stated here. You just can't have lugs that extend beyond the surface of the wrist and that seems quite reasonable. The aesthetic limitation is much more subjective and well,... personal.

Here's my take on it. I think the "trend" that bigger is better has gotten way out of hand. It reminds me of the many fashion trends that go too far-- Central African women wearing so many neck rings that they actually dislocate the cervical spine to lengthen their necks; Women's corsettes that tightened the waist more and more until they were ridiculously small and could hardly breath; and Dandy's wearing powdered wigs that got bigger and taller each season along with the size of their codpiece. Ok, extreme examples, but I think you get where I'm going. There used to be only one reason to have a very large watch -- you were in a profession or livelihood that required you to see the time under very poor light conditions and your life may depend on it. So yes, there was a 47mm Panerai Radiomir produced for the Italian Navy in 1938. But would anybody in their right mind wear it out for a night on the town back then? Of course not. It would look, and it would be, a ridiculous thing.

Now most of us wear our watches for style rather then pure functionality or necessity. So what does the bigger, bigger thing have to do with style... a whole lot I would think. But for some, there are undoubtably some social status and subconscious things going on too. Is the watch substituting for a small penis? (Gosh, I hope not) Are you wanting people to really notice your watch so they will think how powerful and wealthy you are? Does a very big "rugged" watch make you seem more "matcho"...after all Mr. Rambo himself, Sly Stallone, is given much credit for the recent popularization of the Panerai brand. Will your testosterone levels increase (without the nasty injections), so just like Arnold you can be the "Eraser" and eliminate your competition?

Most everyone on this site is very well adjusted and comfortable in their own skin, so I'm sure none of these are real issues. I'm just having some fun with this. I personally have a rather small 7" wrist with somewhat large upper arms, shoulders and chest also from power lifting (Kudos By-Tor, enter me in the next big arms competition :thumbsupsmileyanim:) and for me 42mm is really pushing it ( the VC Overseas is pretty thin, so it just barely makes it). I look best in 38-40mm watches. I personally think wrists my size or smaller with 44mm watches look like a characateur. Sort of like a young boy wearing Dad's watch. But hey, that's just me and if I see more of it, maybe I'll change my mind. Come to think of it, lately I've been eyeing a really bodacious codpiece. :Jumpy::bangin:

True-Stu, I would be less than honest, if I were to say,

that I have never, caught my reflection in a mirror or in

some piece of glass somewhere, and felt some of what you

say...

There are other times however, that I say to myself,.. '..This is one hefty, masculine, handsome piece of machinery here... What a Companion." as it sits there, this artfully crafted and polished slab of metal, blending perfectly with how I feel.

Kind of like the last vestige of the Suit of Armour..

Anyone else ?

Dangerman, find below photos demonstrating my views.

Both watches are 44mm but wear much smaller.

Notice how a large face is dimished by the recessed bowls around the dial,

the shorter hands completing the picture.

Makes a visual difference, that has a postive impact for smaller wrists.. ^_^

131646-19040.jpg

131646-19041.jpg

Also, Black Bezels can tone down a larger piece. -_-

Thanks Richard

If I go ahead with 44mm it would be with something like that top picture. Still when I saw By-Tors big arms and read he wouldn't go 44mm it made me hesitate. I think I really need to find an AD and try one on.