When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Motorcycles... what should I get?

swdivad

OK... I got an itch, it's gotta be scratched...

It's been many years since I've ridden, I owned a few Harleys in my mid 20s, but haven't since then.

Now, I want a naked bike, something knarley, but not too big... I'm thinking 750cc max... I live in Bangkok, so it's gotta be small and maneuverable, the traffic here is horrendous

So far, I'm liking these (not in any order whatsoever):

Aprilla Shiver 750 (don't know if available here)

Duc Monster 796

Triumph Street Triple 675

Anyone have suggestions or comments? :victory:

And I beg to differ with the last comment. Go for the Duc. I have had one since many years (carb 900 Monster) and I think it is - with some distance - the most comfortable bike for city traffic - and the occasional mountain trip cq circuit day - you can buy for that money. Had a 'Blade, had a 'Busa but for city traffic nothing beats the Monster due to the way your arms rest on the handle bars. Every now and then when traffic becomes silly here I choose it over my Jaguar during rush hour and I enjoy every minute of it. Warms quickly in winters ( only 2 cilinders, mind) could do with a windscreen (lots are available on the aftermarket, though I still need to purchase mine). So my advice would be the Duc. All in all it's a great commuters bike.

Mind you, on a personal note, I am lurking at @ Bimota SB8-R that's currently @ my dealer and is, in my opinion, one of the most beautifully crafted motorcycles ever made

OK... I got an itch, it's gotta be scratched...

It's been many years since I've ridden, I owned a few Harleys in my mid 20s, but haven't since then.

Now, I want a naked bike, something knarley, but not too big... I'm thinking 750cc max... I live in Bangkok, so it's gotta be small and maneuverable, the traffic here is horrendous

So far, I'm liking these (not in any order whatsoever):

Aprilla Shiver 750 (don't know if available here)

Duc Monster 796

Triumph Street Triple 675

Anyone have suggestions or comments? :victory:

Those are three excellent choices that came to mind before I could finish reading your post. I have a Suzuki Bandit. I also like the VStroms as well or the SV650N's. All Suzuki, though.

considering that speeds aren't that high out there and streets are in a perpetual state of disrepair I'd get something on the lines of motorcross and

Streets aren't actually too bad, except when you get out into the sticks...

Speeds aren't high at all, so I'm just exploring a bit more on the smaller side, as manoeverability is quite important, and bikes over, say, 500cc become cumbersome in conditions here.

OK, thanks all...

What about suggestions for bikes between 250cc to 500cc ?

Not too many naked bikes in that CC range, as most start at the 600 cc level. (I'm talking about the north american market), don't know what the Asian market is like. You could try the DRZ400sm, but that is a totally different bike. Then there is the Suzuki GS500, but there's a big love/hate relationship with those.

again, both Suzuki. <_<