When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Newbie Question - What am I Getting?

rikramer

Hello All,

Was hoping for some guidance. I'm looking at 42 planet ocean from Joshua and I'm not entirely sure about a couple things:

1. The listing states: "made with a genuine watch completely dissected". Does this mean that the shell, dial, etc. is actually from a genuine Omega?

2. the site specifies that watches are calibrated to +/- 10 to 30 seconds. Is this a daily margin of error? i.e. will me watch be 10 to 30 seconds slow or fast each day? If so, that seams like I will be resetting the watch very frequently. Am I just understanding this incorrectly?

Thank you for the help!

Welcome aboard!

Here are some answers:

1. When the dealers say "made with a genuine watch completely dissected" - they mean that they had a real watch in the shop to use as a template for making the replica version. Not that they used real parts in your watch.

2. Mechanical watches are not perfect, they do not keep to exactly +/- 0 seconds per day like your digital watch. Depending on how you wear your watch, it should be in the range of +/- 10 to 30 seconds per day. Usually closer to +/- 15 seconds if it's well regulated and lubricated. For example, when watched over a several day period, my Planet Ocean gains about 2 seconds per day, and over a week it'll gain about 15 seconds, so in a months time, my watch will have gained about 1 minute. Every couple of months, I will adjust the time back to 0, and go through the process again. If you're running +15 per day, you'd be a minute ahead every for days, or about +7 minutes per month, that can be adjusted, but keep in mind, even Swiss movements in High End watches do the same thing exact thing.

Hope this help's clarify your questions...

Hello and welcome!

1) When they say they dissected a watch, it means they took a genuine and took it apart and then formed the replica pieces to "be just like" the genuine. There is a huge hobby around here for adding gen parts to a rep to make it a franken.

2) That's exactly what it means. Usually anything under around +/- 20 a day is considered accurate.

And it appears db2 types faster than me! :lol:

Edited by BGGodwin

A clean, oiled mechanical watch movement can be very accurate. If you choose to have your replica serviced by a real watchmaker, it will probably run +/- 6 seconds a day.

I have a rep here that is a solid +2.5 secs a day.

Thanks all! one other question: why is so hard to get a listing of all the recommended dealers on this site (i.e. the actual web addresses for each)? People often talk about "Joshua" but they never link to his site. I see watches reviewed but no link provided to where the watch was purchased. Is this because of legal reasons associated with reps?