When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Tag Link Chrono Vs. Omega Po

mezzanine

Well, I've been continuing to research, and now my biggest concern is the movement in the Tag Chrono. I'm concerned about the asian 7750, and the reported frequency of problems arising in these watches. It seems as though the cost of getting the watch serviced and then the inevitable subsequent repairs is somewhat avoidable.

Everyone seems to be saying how the new 7750 is more reliable than the previous version, but how long has the newer version even been out? I'm not sure there's even been enough time yet to properly evaluate whether the new movement is going to be more reliable. I'm reading stuff about how people have their watch for two weeks, and that's being deemed a success and reliable.

I'm not really sure. I need a watch that is going to be reliable. I'm not necessarily talking quartz reliable, but I do have relatively high expectations. Anyone have suggestions about the best direction to go?

IMHO there is no contest here.

I own both of these watches.

The new TAG Link Chronos are a far better rep than any generation of the PO.

Omega is my favorite rep. I own 4 different models. The PO is the worst of the 4 by far.

IMO it has a really crappy grade steel case and the wrong bracelet.

The TAG on the other hand to me is one of the better reps made (Ever).

Look at the photo of Relaxman's TAG. Is there a nicer SS sport watch out there? The dial is PERFECT and beautiful as well. The bracelet is PERFECT.

Do not worry about the new 7750. It works great.

If you were to purchase an Omega - than get the new SMP chrono - a MUCH better piece than the PO.

FWIW

IMHO there is no contest here.

I own both of these watches.

The new TAG Link Chronos are a far better rep than any generation of the PO.

Omega is my favorite rep. I own 4 different models. The PO is the worst of the 4 by far.

IMO it has a really crappy grade steel case and the wrong bracelet.

The TAG on the other hand to me is one of the better reps made (Ever).

Look at the photo of Relaxman's TAG. Is there a nicer SS sport watch out there? The dial is PERFECT and beautiful as well. The bracelet is PERFECT.

Do not worry about the new 7750. It works great.

If you were to purchase an Omega - than get the new SMP chrono - a MUCH better piece than the PO.

FWIW

Right now my biggest question is whether to get the Tag serviced. I've been doing a lot of reading, trying to weigh the relative benefit of investing in the servicing prior to actually receiving the watch. It seems that the average cost for pre-servicing is in the realm of $150 dollars. I'm asking myself whether it makes sense to spend $150 bucks on a watch that costs 250 dollars to begin with. I'm asking myself whether or not I'm better off just taking my chances and then if I am unlucky, I simply accept it and buy a new watch. I really am irritated with the idea of spending 250 bucks on something that might not last 6 months, based on a lot of the anecdotal reports in the community.

I'm on the fence as to whether I'm going to take a risk on the asian 7750, or if I'm going to go with a slightly cheaper and more reliable Pam. I like the Pam's, even if I think my wrist is probably a half inch too small to be able to wear one and have it look good.

TBH my first ever Asia 7750 suffered from a small failure after a few weeks of ownership. The repair however cost me less than a round of drinks. I'm lucky though to have a decent and honest watchmaker in my locale.

That counts for a lot. I'm not trying to spark a debate about the value of the pricing of servicing, I know that the amount of work and cost of equiptment correlates with the price- but if it was possible to get it done for $50, then it would seem more reasonable in the context of the actual cost of the watch.

It's crazy to me that I've been obsessively thinking about this for like a week now, and I'm still not closer to a decision. I'll run a search on the forum, and the number of respected members who literally equate purchasing an Asian 7750 movement with throwing your money away is scary. And although I've read some threads where the new movement is said to be more reliable, I'll go and read another one that seems to say that it really isn't reliable enough. The only way to tip the odds seems to be servicing, but IMHO, the notion of spending close to 400 bucks on a Rep that's not some 'pet' project or modded Pam or something, seems a little foolish. I know many would disagree, but you can get a decent gen on Ebay for that price. We're talking about a Tag here.

If I didn't think a Pam would look slightly foolish on my wrist, I probably would've waved the towel on the Link Chrono. What bugs me is that the Link is the watch I want...so my alternatives are somewhat disappointing to me in that light.

So let's say you REALLY want the Tag (which it pretty much sounds to be the case for you, as it pretty much is for me), and after owning it for a few months (and loving it!) it craps out. What would it cost to get the movement replaced with a higher quality one, or get the stock movement fixed and serviced? That is a retty relevant question to me. :g:

So let's say you REALLY want the Tag (which it pretty much sounds to be the case for you, as it pretty much is for me), and after owning it for a few months (and loving it!) it craps out. What would it cost to get the movement replaced with a higher quality one, or get the stock movement fixed and serviced? That is a retty relevant question to me. :g:

It sounds like we're asking some of the same questions. I'm not sure about the cost of replacing the movement, or getting it serviced/fixed, but the conclusion I've reached in either case, is that the relative cost of either of those actions would be in the neighbourhood of $200, making either courses of action kinda dumb in the context of the price of the watch itself. Meaning you'd be better off to just buy a new watch, if the fixing/replacing of the movement is going to run you 75% of the original price of the watch.

Maybe it would be worth it, if you consider that AFTER you replace the movement, you'd have a more reliable watch....but just think, at that point, you'd have around $500 bucks I'd have to imagine invested in the watch, and depending on what kind of deals you could find, that's getting to be around 40% of the cost of a genuine. You see why this is not as simple, once you place it into context? :mellow:

If I could get it serviced initially for $50 bones, I would do that. Unfortunately, for servicing, it costs upwards of $120. It seems to me that the most sensible course of action is to roll the dice and hope that the watch works. The risk in that is a little bothersome to me, being that I can anticipate the reaction I would have if I was to have my watch break down in the first few weeks.

Also, what is especially confusing is to read a post like robertk's above, mentioning how he has had no problems with the 7750 movement, and then to go and read someone else's experience, and they've had two or three of these movements fail on them (even of the new 7750), and equate purchasing a watch with that movement as tantamount to throwing your money away. I'm a broke-ass student, and throwing my money away is not something I can afford to do.

This would be so much easier if I didn't really want the Tag. When I sought out the community initially, before becoming inundated with the mass of information available, and the degree of variety of options, my original reason for searching out the best in replica watches was to get a Tag.

The one thought I've had is to see if I can search out, locally (hamilton, ontario), a watchmaker who could service the movement on the cheap. I've read that there ARE some watchmakers that will do it for less money, but I wonder if you get what you pay for....and then there's the issue of "will they service a rep" or are they familiar with this specfic movement, etc...if you're going to a hole in the wall type place that would be the kind of place that would give you a deal.

I bought my TAG Link from PT after reading By-Tors excellent review and enough praise has been lavished on the rep for me not to have to contribute here.

However I will say that I have adjusted the time just TWICE in 3 weeks of ownership and I even had to rely on the chrono when my wife went into labour so I could time the contractions.

The only thing that let me down was the clasp screw fell out within a day and it's proving a sod to replace.

So far (fingers crossed) my 7750 has been outstanding, in fact I just commited to another after I saw Josh's excellent new SS Chrono Avenger

Right now my biggest question is whether to get the Tag serviced. I've been doing a lot of reading, trying to weigh the relative benefit of investing in the servicing prior to actually receiving the watch. It seems that the average cost for pre-servicing is in the realm of $150 dollars. I'm asking myself whether it makes sense to spend $150 bucks on a watch that costs 250 dollars to begin with. I'm asking myself whether or not I'm better off just taking my chances and then if I am unlucky, I simply accept it and buy a new watch. I really am irritated with the idea of spending 250 bucks on something that might not last 6 months, based on a lot of the anecdotal reports in the community.

I'm on the fence as to whether I'm going to take a risk on the asian 7750, or if I'm going to go with a slightly cheaper and more reliable Pam. I like the Pam's, even if I think my wrist is probably a half inch too small to be able to wear one and have it look good.

You have just stated pretty much the exact same dilemma I am having. Hard to justify the extra expense but seems like a pretty good chance I might live to regret it if I don't do the service. One solution I have considered is to look at a watch with a more reliable movement eg the manual wind Moon watch, or a quartz version of the SMP Chrono if you can find it. But I will admit that if I go this way, I'm not getting what I really wanted at the start. I think I'll just have to take a chance but I'm still considering.

Edited by dangerman

You have just stated pretty much the exact same dilemma I am having. Hard to justify the extra expense but seems like a pretty good chance I might live to regret it if I don't do the service. One solution I have considered is to look at a watch with a more reliable movement eg the manual wind Moon watch, or a quartz version of the SMP Chrono if you can find it. But I will admit that if I go this way, I'm not getting what I really wanted at the start. I think I'll just have to take a chance but I'm still considering.

Yup, it's a crappy dilemma for sure. The annoying thing for me, is that this is the watch I want. I thought I could just shift my attention to a different watch that had been under consideration for me at an earlier point in my hunting process- but really, there is no true second candidate, it's more like the Tag is 1a, 1b, and then down the list a fair distance is a Pam or an Omega PO....more just because they're available with decent movements.

Let me know what you ultimately decide. I like the Pams, but I'm weary of how they'll fit on my smaller wrist. A pam for me would ideally be a 'second rep', in terms of once I've begun with the more conventional style Tag, I could see myself wanting to get a Pam- but not really before I've had the chance to get a watch that still fits my noobie preconception of what a watch should look like...y'know what I mean?

It's funny you mentioned the quartz option. I emailed a dealer that sells the quartz version as well, and they said that the quartz version is poorer, beyond just the fact it has a cheaper movement. So that kinda diffused that possible way of resolving it. Plus, the quartz version isn't available with the blue dial, from what I've been able to find atleast. I wonder how much worse the quartz version really is? I could afford to get both the Tag and a 111 Pam if I was to go that route.

One thing that I think is probably critical in this hobby, is keeping things in perspective. Yes, I could just get the Tag, and get the movement replaced with an ETA- but then IMO I'm into a cost range where it doesn't really make sense to me from a value standpoint. You can get a nice genuine on Ebay or one of the gen sites for $500-600 bucks.

That's what has me thinking that if I'm going to get the Tag, I'm going to just buy it and take a chance. You read such contradictory stuff about the reliability issue.

Are you sure? :huh:

Maybe nice is a relative term, when most of the replica sales are for Rolex watches. You can get a used lesser model of a gen of the same brand with the type of mid-range watches we're talking about in this thread.

You disagree that the value of investing $500-600 in a rep of a mid-range watch like the Tag is not in some ways questionable?

Maybe nice is a relative term, when most of the replica sales are for Rolex watches. You can get a used lesser model of a gen of the same brand with the type of mid-range watches we're talking about in this thread.

You disagree that the value of investing $500-600 in a rep of a mid-range watch like the Tag is not in some ways questionable?

That being a 100% subjective opinion, I certainly wouldn't take exception with it. In other words, I'm not sure whether I think it's a big concern or not, but if you do, it's no business of mine to suggest you might be wrong.

My question was really meant to ask if you were sure that some nice genuine watches could be had for the $500-600 range, because I would definitely be interested in that.

Back to your most recent question for a moment though, I guess my opinion is "maybe." The reason I say maybe is that in some cases I think it would be a pretty questionable thing to do, and in other cases, not so much.

To me, it has a lot to do with which replica we're talking about. I guess if it is one of these Tags, they are accurate enough reps that they can almost be passed off as genuine, the genuines are in the price range where a person like me could actually buy one if he was so inclined, and yet the genuines still cost three times as much as the $500-600 amount in question for a modded or swiss movement rep. All of that taken together, I guess if I had to spend that much in the end to have a high quality, "genuine like" replica, it wouldn't upset me too awfully much. . . .

Hope that makes some sense! :blink:

Haha I see i am not the only one consumed by this very issue. But for me its the IWC Gst also with the asian 7750.

I have yet to pull the trigger also, I am pondering if i should risk wearing it for a year or 2 and then getting it serviced. That way I will be more willing to offer 200 to service it.

oh and this thread doesnt help my case

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showtopic=2255&hl=

This sucks.

I don't think I can in good conscience get the watch. And I'm not sure there's another watch I want nearly as much- so now I feel like I'm in an unfortunate position.

On one level I'm surprised that the Tag gets recommended around here, given that this is obviously a significant issue. I feel that might be misleading to noobs like myself. It's disappointing to 'discover' that the watch you wanted has serious questions about reliability. I'll stop complaining now....I'm just disappointed.

This sucks.

I don't think I can in good conscience get the watch. And I'm not sure there's another watch I want nearly as much- so now I feel like I'm in an unfortunate position.

On one level I'm surprised that the Tag gets recommended around here, given that this is obviously a significant issue. I feel that might be misleading to noobs like myself. It's disappointing to 'discover' that the watch you wanted has serious questions about reliability. I'll stop complaining now....I'm just disappointed.

Is it possible that this issue is somewhat specific to that rep (IWC thingamajobwhatever)? Sure seems in that thread like a high percentage of them have been whacky, and I personally haven't seen many other reps with the new Asian 7750 reported as having problems while I've been surfing around here. . . . .

Could it be? :g: