When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Tag Link Chrono Vs. Omega Po

mezzanine

Greetings to everyone here on the board, thanks for allowing me to become part of your community...I'm sure I'll resent you all within a few months when I've dropped a grand on reps...but for now I'm grateful to be here!

I'm debating which of these to buy as my first rep. The Tag was my first impulse, but the lower price of the 5th generation of the Omega PO's, as well as the higher value of the genuine Omega, has me questioning that decision. I like the orange bezel of the Omega, but I think I like the overall style of the Tag more, and all the reviews of the Tag suggest that it is every bit as accurate and impressive a rep as the Omega.

Unfortunately, the predictable solution to this would be to "just get both" :p but unfortunately my budget won't allow for that. I've got a smaller wrist, 6.80 inches, so I'm hesitant to consider something like a Panerai, even if it DOES tempt me because of the unique styling and the fact that it appears to be the "hot celebrity watch". Yes, I'm not above these types of plebeian considerations... :mellow:

Speaking of such considerations, which watch would be more distinguishable to a non-watch afficianado outside of the good people of the community? I've heard it mentioned that Tag has really done a good job with their marketing, and even though the Omega would be perceived to be a superior brand by the people in the know, the average person on the street would be more likely to identify the Tag as a quality timepiece before the Omega...is this correct? I want a rep that is not going to come across to the average person as a rep (read: no rolexes), but that would still be associated as a quality watch, with the understanding that the average person does not know what a breitling is (most likely) or a Panerai (although this seems to be changing).

That's left me considering these two watches. Ideally, I'd just buy both, and then pick up a Panerai for good measure, but that doesn't look possible. If you could only have one, which one would it be? I'd like to have a watch that looks sophisticated and could be used for both casual and formal occasions. That pulls me more in the diretion of the Tag, but then the higher genuine value of the Omega, as well as the boldness of the orange sways me back again to the Omega...even if I think it looks more 'sporty' than sophisticated.

If price is factored in, the Omega would win. Which is the more impressive looking watch?

*edit: Oh- and yes, I'm a canadian buyer, and am very concerned about customs. I've tried to ask about the way around that on the watches-guide board, but haven't had much luck.

Edited by mezzanine

The answer isn't straightforward as we do not know which version of the Planet Ocean you are talking about as the development of the rep has gone in several distinct directions (5th generation is unhelpful as there are 42.5 and 45mm version, each with their idiosynchracies). The most accurate is probably the so called "4th generation" 42.5mm cased version which is an excellent choice of watch. The rest unfortunately do not match the very high standard of replication that his model represents.

The TAG Link Chrono on the other hand is undisputably a superb replica - about as good as replica watches get, with only two small flaws that are both correctible.

Looks are a matter of subjectivity though, so I can't help you there, but in terms of which is the better watch as an imitation of the gen, then the TAG wins hands down....

PS. I have examples of both, and the TAG definitely attracts more attention :)

The answer isn't straightforward as we do not know which version of the Planet Ocean you are talking about as the development of the rep has gone in several distinct directions. The most accurate is probably the 4th generation 42.5mm cased version which is an excellent choice of watch. The rest unfortunately do not match the very high standard of replication that his model represents.

The TAG Link Chrono on the other hand is undisputably a superb replica - about as good as replica watches get, with only two small flaws that are both correctible.

Thanks for the quick responses. The Omega I'm talking about is, indeed, the 42.5mm version, and I should've specified that initially. The Tag is the blue dial non-senna version (most likely). I'd read a review of the 5th generation of the 42.5mm PO, and it seemed to be in the same quality ballpark as the 4th gen, but I'd defer to you guys as being much more knowledgable about the individual differences between the later gens of PO's.

Also, I realize that to a large degree this type of decision is subjective, and therefore it's difficult to really say anything beyond "get which one you prefer", but that's the problem at this point, I've been waiting for an inclination to steer me in one direction or another, but have found myself torn between these two. I know there isn't going to be that one major factor that comes in and makes it an easy decision- but I'm hoping that those that have had a similar questioning thought process with regards to these two watches specifically, can let me know how their decision came about as far as what became the deciding factors.

I'm tempted to make this a 'poll', but figured if I spelled out the specific criteria I'm weighing them on, that someone more knowledgable might be able to provide some reasons that I'm not aware of as a noob, as to why one is better for my needs...ie: the whole question of recognizability to the average person on the street...

Damned if the Panerai's haven't tempted me, also. The 111h through Trusty has been calling to me, and even though I think I would enjoy the watch, the case size is something of an issue. I'm guessing that if (when) I get another rep, it will be some sort of Panerai. My wrist is right on that borderline of wrist size, where I think it could look a little unnatural. If my forearms were bigger, I don't think I'd be as sensitive to the idea, but alas, they're not.

I had no idea that Panerai's are the rage that they are amongst celebrities until I saw that thread recently with all the pics. I thought it was Sly and Arnold, and that was about it....not the case, I realize now.

No Omega SMP chrono for consideration? ;)

I'm currently in a predicament as to whether to pick up that one or the Tag chrono.

I second that. You should consider the SMP chrono.

I'm debating between the SMP chrono, PO Chrono, Tag Chrono and the Omega Broad arrow right now..

Only money for one, very hard choice....

I second that. You should consider the SMP chrono.

I'm debating between the SMP chrono, PO Chrono, Tag Chrono and the Omega Broad arrow right now..

Only money for one, very hard choice....

I've taken a look at the Omega SMP chrono, and it's safe to say that it has displaced the PO in my debate over which watch I'm going to go with. So, this has now evolved into an SMP Chrono vs. Tag Link Chrono shootout, and I think the gap just closed in terms of the competition, as I was leaning more towards the Tag until I had a chance to look at the SMP. Hmmm....

I've taken a look at the Omega SMP chrono, and it's safe to say that it has displaced the PO in my debate over which watch I'm going to go with.

Yea I know, but I already have an SMP and silix price are so good on chrono PO... hard to resist..

Tag link chrono vs SMP chrono ? now that's a hard choice. You will be very happy with both of them.

Edited by vric

I've taken a look at the Omega SMP chrono, and it's safe to say that it has displaced the PO in my debate over which watch I'm going to go with. So, this has now evolved into an SMP Chrono vs. Tag Link Chrono shootout, and I think the gap just closed in terms of the competition, as I was leaning more towards the Tag until I had a chance to look at the SMP. Hmmm....

If I didn't already have the standard SMP 300m and I was faced with the same choice as yourself then I'd have no hesitation in buying the SMP Chrono. I see it as the perfect marriage of the Link Chrono and the Seamaster.

As it is I have both the other models so I couldn't justify something that is conceptually similar to both, and an equal in terms of rep quality.

I think your choice is made :D

If I didn't already have the standard SMP 300m and I was faced with the same choice as yourself then I'd have no hesitation in buying the SMP Chrono. I see it as the perfect marriage of the Link Chrono and the Seamaster.

As it is I have both the other models so I couldn't justify something that is conceptually similar to both, and an equal in terms of rep quality.

I think your choice is made :D

You mentioned earlier that your Tag gets more attention than your PO, but what if the SMP is subbed into the equation? Does that command more attention than your tag? Keeping in mind, I'm not concerned so much about the impressions of the experts and afficianados on the board, in terms of being hobbyists who have a wide array of knowledge on all of these brands, but from the perspective of the lay person, who doesn't have the knowledge of the market or brand recognition that is seen here.

I've been looking at the SMP, and it appears that it is a relatively new rep. It seems that there might be an issue with a bezel pearl that's slightly off center.

The dial of the SMP looks slightly busier and less elegantly styled to me than the Tag dial, but that could be a good thing or a bad thing, depending. It all comes down to the question of which is the more expensive, more impressive looking watch for me...

Edited by mezzanine

And the Tag have a misaligned date font and problems with bracelet. Nothing is perfect :p

I wear my SMP often and it's a watch that doesn't attract much comment. People knowing watch will take a long look at it, but overall Joe on the street will never even take a look at it. It's a nice looking watch, but if you want people to talk about your watch, you will be better will a full diamond Rolex :p

And the Tag have a misaligned date font and problems with bracelet. Nothing is perfect :p

I wear my SMP often and it's a watch that doesn't attract much comment. People knowing watch will take a long look at it, but overall Joe on the street will never even take a look at it. It's a nice looking watch, but if you want people to talk about your watch, you will be better will a full diamond Rolex :p

:D

I would go with the pimp-style rolex if I thought that it was in any way believable, given my *ahem* limited financial means as a student. Also, I don't like the fact that everyone sees a rolex and assumes it's fake. What appeals to me about the more mid-range watches, is that it's more feasible to pass them off as genuine. If I was to be going with a rolex, it would be a Daytona.

I have the SMP, have ad it for about a year. It has been my favourite daily wearer, but is never attracts comments. I have ordered the SMP chrono from TTK, and are waiting for it...

A nice big Chrono that definently grabs attention is my Chrono Avenger in Titanium. :) Not everybody likes it, though.. Personally, I find it a bit too bulky.

I read on this board a while back that you may wish to avoid the 7750 for a first rep, as it is more prone to problems than the ETAs - in other words, you don't want to be discouraged from buying more. I chose to follow that advice and ordered an Ingenieur from Andrew on Monday (hopefully I'll soon get my tracking info so I can obsess over the progress of my first rep)...

Indeed. The bracelet problems are no greater than you can experience with other replicas (ever lost the mushroom off the clasp of an Omega, for example?), the advantage being that they are easily cured with some threadlock and decent springbars.

The date font issue is slightly more involved and not to be tackled by a newbie, but is a simple matter of substituting the datewheel.

I wouldn't be put off by either issues.

I read on this board a while back that you may wish to avoid the 7750 for a first rep, as it is more prone to problems than the ETAs...

You do have a valid point with regards to the 7750b movement. I have yet to buy one because the long-term stability of this movement is not yet known. I've heard both positive and (some) negative reports about it.

You do have a valid point with regards to the 7750b movement. I have yet to buy one because the long-term stability of this movement is not yet known. I've heard both positive and (some) negative reports about it.

I've read some stuff about the potential issues with this movement. It's hard to get a feel for the realistic chance of early failure. There aren't likely to be any statistics to be able to get a perspective on the actual significance of the problem...and even if someone did a poll, the tendency is always that the people with the problematic movements are more inclined to 'vote'.

Is the issue of the questionable reliability of the movement significant enough that I should re-think going with a Tag?

That's the direction I'm leaning in, the Tag Link....I am basing this partly on my assumption that the average person is more familiar with Tag than Omega.

If I didn't have such small wrists, I would probably be getting a Pam over either of the watches I've been giving consideration to. I took pause this afternoon, and started to wonder what the realistic difference is between the subjective size of a 44mm watch vs. 42mm one. I think that the leather strap on the Pams makes them look slightly smaller, in terms of their fit, too.

I have been following the thread about wrist size, and how it relates to the ability to wear Pams, and after re-measuring my wrist, I'm actually closer to 6.7 inches. I'm more inclined to go with a watch like the Tag, and then see how that fits, and if I think I can pull something bigger off, maybe go with a pam in a year or so.

I think they're BOTH reps that you need to own. I have both and they're definitely keepers. My TAG with 7750 is keeping time within the COSC standards (and better) after 2+ months of use. It's not long time but at least it's something.

And you're right... TAG has excellent reputation among non-WIS people... and Omega is the favourite brand among almost all WIS. Just go to the gen forums and see. Everyone looks TAG down their noses but love and respect Omega.

Why? That's a long story, and difficult to answer. It's somewhat unjustified because TAG has some great models... but that's just how it is.

For me it would be depressing to be without either one.

131620-19047.jpg

131620-19048.jpg

I've been fighting this exact dilema for the past several weeks... After reading your excellent thread By-Tor I've made the decision to own both... Once that decision was made, the braintwister of the moment was "which one first"... yeesh... I know that after I buy one this week I'll buy the other in about 2 weeks and have em both by the end of the month... I spent more time deciding which to buy first as opposed to which to buy... I finally settled on the 4th gen P.O. just because I love divers and have never really cared for Chronos.. (Tag is prolly gonna change that)... In refernce to the original posting... The Tag is prolly more dressy, the Omega will get more glances from those that know watches... can't go wrong with either I'd say.

And dangit... now that SMP Chrono is also calling my name... luckly its near the bottom of my "want" list... that'll take quite a bit of time to get too.

I had the same dilema. During the past few weeks, I had been contemplating whether to get another Tag or another Omega. I am more familiar with Omegas, and I love the SMP chronos. But the Tags also have excellent models. I also own a Tag gen and an Omega gen. In the end, these watches are just sooo great that I've decided to get another Tag (a rep) and another Omega (rep also). So... a Tag Chrono (blue dial with polished bezel) and an Omega PO (orange bezel, non chrono) are now in the top 3 of my list (the other is ... well, the MOON WATCH, of course).